Sign in to follow this  
FKLGLS

engine backplates

Hi folks. Does anyone out there know if the backplate off an 1800 cvh sierra will fit the back of a 1600mk5 cortina and if so, will the starter holes line up with a 1600 sierra 5 speed gearbox ? Many thanks.

Hi folks. Does anyone out there know if the backplate off an 1800 cvh sierra will fit the back of a 1600mk5 cortina and if so, will the starter holes line up with a 1600 sierra 5 speed gearbox ? Many thanks.

i dont know if it will fit but it might be easier to source a pinto sierra bell housing. i take it your converting to a 5speed box?

i dont know if it will fit but it might be easier to source a pinto sierra bell housing. i take it your converting to a 5speed box?

I am. I have the old bellhousing from the original 4 speed 1600 box. Would this mate to the sierra box ? If so, I could use the original backplate.

all 4 cyl petrol type 9 5 speeds use the same bellhouseing & will bolt to a crossflow or ohc..

most back plts have long sinse been bined don't worry about it.

I am. I have the old bellhousing from the original 4 speed 1600 box. Would this mate to the sierra box ? If so, I could use the original backplate.

it may do as im sure the 5speed box was derrived from the 4speed case just made a little bigger, when i converted mine i just used the sierra bellhousing that came with the box. bolted straigt on. i wouldnt bother changing the backplate much easier to get a bellhousing i wouldve thought.

5 speed plate needs to go with a 5 speed boxe as the starter is slightly lower on the 5 speed so a 4 speed plate wont line up round the starter hole! (found that one the hard way, after all the starter is the last bit you put back isn't it) :cheers: :oops:

doesn't matter if it's cvh

5 speed plate needs to go with a 5 speed boxe as the starter is slightly lower on the 5 speed so a 4 speed plate wont line up round the starter hole! (found that one the hard way, after all the starter is the last bit you put back isn't it) :cheers: :oops:

doesn't matter if it's cvh

Thanks Bortaf. I can get hold of a cvh plate to complete the job. However, I too have found out the hard way as the car is all back together, with the exception of the starter motor, which, er, won't fit.......

Hardest lessons are the best learnt ones i find ( unfortunatly) :cheers:

i know exactly how you feel mate :car:

you could just cut the plate where the starter goes and use 3 washers to space it back again, save all the agro and get a plate later on :winner:

Hardest lessons are the best learnt ones i find ( unfortunatly) :unsure:

i know exactly how you feel mate :cheers:

you could just cut the plate where the starter goes and use 3 washers to space it back again, save all the agro and get a plate later on :argue:

thats what i did on mine although it took some cutting as i did it with the box attached! what a job that was!