andy spain

MK2 CRAYFORD LOTUS CORTINA.

Who owns this beauty?

http://www.carrosserie.co.uk/index.php?pag...d-lotus-cortina

I saw it at last years LCR National Day. It outstanding.

Thats Dave Wrights car - probably the best MkII LCC around at the moment - its been back on the road 18 months now after a rebuild that took him 19 years!

After the time and money spent in that I really can't see him parting with it any time soon

One of the 3 cabriolets was rebuilt a few years ago and is now out in either NZ or Oz.

ahhh yes of course, Colin Hancock - had forgotten his was one of the cabriolets - last time I saw that one, it was at Billing side by side with Mick Goodyears LC cabriolet. Colins car was looking a little rough with loads of rust blisters begining to break through, but what a sight to see 2 of the rarest MkIIs togethere :angry:

2 years ago i swapped a brand new MK2 Cortina bumper for a Consul Classic one, this guy is restoring a Crayford LC as well, i think it was a Cabriolet. this guy used to run a scrapyard somewhere in London and he does stock car driving as well. as far as i remember he was in Essex! :angry:

can you remember the colour Hans? Plain red, or red with a gold stripe pictured here? The plain red one is Mick Goodyears car and hes had it years and years and years. I think he'd sell his kids before the LCC :unsure:

What about giving this guy a ring to see if he has any leads:

Crayford Convertible Car Club

Address: Rory Cronin

39 Upton Rd

Tarring

Worthing

W Sussex

BN13 1BX

Tel: 01903 692985

Just to upset you I was reading only last night in an old edition of the LCR QB mag (thanks Keith!) that Andy M found a MK11 Crayford in a scrap yard in North London in the early 90's. Upon further investigation it turned out to be a Lotus. I think is was too far gone to be saved. So that narrows your search down to 19!!

could be worth trying Barry Priestman of the Crayford club too.

Got a feeling that car you mention Andy finding is the one he rebuilt himself. Must be aleast 5 years ago I heard a story that he might sell for the right money, but as he still has it, I guess that one wasn't really for sale either - but it could be worth trying...

As for 19? Well a few years I looked into how many were around - IIIRC we could account for the whereabouts of 15. As Magnus said, Crayford admit to building 20 of them, but its very unclear it thats 20 in total, or if its 20 convertibles plus the 3 cabriolets. All 3 cabs are still about (though 2 are in a very poor condition) - The one thats running has had the same owner for 25+ years and definitely won't be for sale. Of the convertibles, theres probably only 3 or 4 that are on the road here in the UK ATM, with others known in Norway and as far away as Japan (I think it was Japan anyway, might have been China :winner: ) I've lost track of SLR 975F - that one has changed hands a good few times in recent years, but I'm pretty sure Ron Vickers still has his in Blackpool (another that I don't think would be for sale). Very much doubt that Dave Wright would sell either

There are a few others around, but all in varioius states of repair, and like mine, in need of a great deal of work

SLR has just had a repaint and is finished ready for our club stand at the N E C next week. Seve Hill is the very proud owner and would not sell it for a kings ransom. I'm sure Dave Wright wont mind me saying that Steve's car is equal to his, its a cracker, Dave M.

Seve Hill is the very proud owner and would not sell it for a kings ransom.

not doing very well to find one for sale are we? :winner: :cheers:

I'm sure Dave Wright wont mind me saying that Steve's car is equal to his, its a cracker, Dave M.

SLR always was a really great example after the rebuild than Jim Lyons gave it - I guess that must be 20 odd years ago now, so not surprising its needed a bit doing now. Would love to see it again so might just have to pop up next week........

So while were at it,what happened to my old one JLX 232K,i got this in about 75/76,after it was imported from Belguim,and converted to rhd,a 68 S1,car in red, had a crash,repaired,and repainted it in daytona yellow,replaced the engine after dropping a valve on a motorway, then sold it.I do know it was seen around the Croyden area about 10 years ago,in lotus colours,some of the LCR have told me this,and have even got a nice photo,(cheers Steve)...Any recent news on it,anyone??

mk1mk2crayford.jpg

So while were at it,what happened to my old one JLX 232K,i got this in about 75/76,after it was imported from Belguim,and converted to rhd,a 68 S1,car in red, had a crash,repaired,and repainted it in daytona yellow,replaced the engine after dropping a valve on a motorway, then sold it.I do know it was seen around the Croyden area about 10 years ago,in lotus colours,some of the LCR have told me this,and have even got a nice photo,(cheers Steve)...Any recent news on it,anyone??

mk1mk2crayford.jpg

hi Andy I remember your old car well,a guy called Dave Hazzard owned the car in the early eighties but it was in need of some tlc ,he sold it on.

I was working in Croydon 10 years ago, and it wasn't exactly uncommon for me to use my LCC to go to work - in fact I can remember getting sent out on a service call one nice bright sunny day, so went off and got the LCC out on my way to the customer, well, it seemed rude not to is was such a nice day :lol: even if the customer was in the Wallington area, but I had to to all the way to Sutton to get the Lotus out :lol: :winner: Had trouble starting it (flat battery) and with the roof down was fairly well on my way to the customer. Got the engine warmed up nicely, so I put my foot down and promptly ripped out the prop center mounting rubbers. Oooooopse :lol: :cheers: :cheers:

Anyway, can't help wondering if in fact it was mine that you've been told about? I did well over 50K miles in the 5 years I had it running for....

the only other LCC I know of thats been in the area was SLR 975F - the guy that originally rebuilt it, Jim Lyons, was in the Croydon area at the time he owned it - but thats alot of years ago now

So while were at it,what happened to my old one JLX 232K

thinking about it, I've never seen one with that number on it, but I have a feeling I've spotted it on the Crayford clubs list of MkIIs. Get in touch with Barry or Rory at the Crayford club and to find out when they last knew of it

Edited by G.O

I'm doing some research at the moment looking through old copies of The Indicator magazine (journal of the Mk2 owners club) and came across these two jems:

June 1999

Cortina Lotus Crayford red with gold stripe J reg needs some work for MOT, offers aroubd £5000.

Scott Simpson (current LCR member).

and

October 1999

WHM 926G 1968 1600 GT Crayford Series 1, was silver fox but has been green, red and two different whites. Founder car of the Crayford Club. Complete car but in boxes!!!!!!

Guess who was selling and open to offers?

Yes our very own G.O

here are a few pics of mine

All welding have been done

NOT being undersealed underneath as I don’t like it (and it wasn’t like that original)

All pressings in chassis as per original (nos panels or from express-steel) have been used throughout

(a FEW patches tho)

Resprayed 2 pack in original silver fox - innside, underneath and off course outside

Respraued the WHOLE of the underside - this is the only deviation from original as per date.

Needs to be put back together

Engineblock is L – marked and belived to be matching numbers (haven’t checked) - engine is in bits

i have another rebuild L-marked lotus engine but for the moment is in the "think-tank" wheter or not to restore the original engine or not - keeping the car matchin#

Gearbox/backaxle = matc. #

for sale ?? = isn't everything if the price is "right" but it isn't first on my "for sale list" :winner:

as found (being off road for some 20++ years)

crayfcortiiasfound-lhside320.jpg

Underside in unmessed state – even had the old ford-primer

P1010813.jpg

Underside primed and ready for paint

P1010935.jpg

Doors being prepped

P1010789.jpg

P1020018.jpg

Current state (hade to rearrange a bit in the barn this summer so dragged a few projects out for the day )

P1030847.jpg

P1030846.jpg

Edited by norway_triumph

Looking good

I'm doing some research at the moment looking through old copies of The Indicator magazine (journal of the Mk2 owners club) and came across these two jems:

June 1999

Cortina Lotus Crayford red with gold stripe J reg needs some work for MOT, offers aroubd £5000.

Scott Simpson (current LCR member).

thats the red and gold cab pictured on the previous page

and

October 1999

WHM 926G 1968 1600 GT Crayford Series 1, was silver fox but has been green, red and two different whites. Founder car of the Crayford Club. Complete car but in boxes!!!!!!

Guess who was selling and open to offers?

Yes our very own G.O

I don't remember that :winner:

that would have been when I lost the garage I kept it in (owner was selling up). It never did sell, and to save it getting scrapped, a mate of mine took it on. One day we might get around to rebuilding it, but its probably the at the bottom of the list of MkIIs we have plans for :cheers:

Whats was the score with export LLC,any idears on numbers,where they went ect...

don't know is the quick answer. As said above, official figures put production at 20, but that could be 20 convertibles plus 3 cabriolets, or at total of 20 - I've never been able to get a definitive answer out of anyone that should be in the know. Crayford were very active in selling abroad - a fleet of MkI convertibles went to Bermuda to be used as taxis for example - and they certainly sent a good few MkIIs overseas. Its generally thought that there were 4 coupe MkII LC conversions, where they cut away the C pillar to around the size of the front pillar, moving the rear screeen forwards. I believe all 4 went abroad, I think to Spain.

As for MkII LCC, I've never heard any figured mentioned of how many went where, but with so many being known today, there can't have been very many that went abroad