Sign in to follow this  
3litrepete

Mk2 Cortina 3.1 V6

Nice blast from the past

yes do tell us more :playball: ......kev

After Kev sold it after a couple of years, it was crashed into some railings, 3/4's of the outer wing & a section of inner wing were removed, then it was sold on & was going to be a mechanical donor, A chance phone call led me to go & look at it & I couldn't leave it there, Included were front panels to repair it, So its home to stay, I also have another project on the go so it wont be done straightaway, but it will be done

post-1860-070951500 1489093054_thumb.jpg

post-1860-052525400 1489093124_thumb.jpg

That's a shame but it's good you've got it back!

What's the plan for the transit?

That's a shame but it's good you've got it back!

What's the plan for the transit?

Its already got a DI & 5speed courtesy of Maltese public transport, Its going to become a Dayvan/camper, Always liked the 70's custom vans so a few few custom touches too

That'll make a nice camper. Keep us updated. I for one would like to watch the progress👍🏻

How's this going? Did you get the new panels welded on?

I've let the new section of inner wing in, had to repair the section of wing rail on the new bit of inner wing, I screwed the outer wing on to get alignment & welded the headlamp plate in, have now welded the wing on apart from the section of the door post, got to take the door off to do that,

DSCN0022_zpsieyhxr3v.jpg

Before I weld the valance on, The car has had a cold air feed to the carb fitted, I'm altering this, I'm fitting panels to the side of the rad which will create an airbox to house a K&N cone filter which will feed through a polished ally pipe to the carb, The panels will be screwed in for servicing, The headlamps are halogen so are wired through relays, these relays will also live in the boxes so they're protected from the weather

DSCN0019_zpsssqtpx9d.jpg

DSCN0020_zpszfc6d41n.jpg

DSCN0021_zpsasyya3r6.jpg

That's good progress. You've got loads done 👍🏻

That cold air feed should work well too!

Looking good. You're not hanging about that's for sure!

Been a while since updated this, Found more of the common tinworm lurking in the joint between roof pillar & rear quarter, also been munching on the window frame

DSCN0079_zps7kax1yoa.jpg

When I first built this, I knew it had had new arches, I had to replace the lower rear of the arch & join the inner to the outer, Its also had new sills, Had to weld in a new outrigger, & noticed the inner by the jacking point had been munched on, The rear 15" of outer sill was blistered so off came the paint to find 5 mm of filler blending the arch in, so off it all came, made it easy to repair the inner sill, hate welding upsidedown

DSCN0095_zpsqxzodnax.jpg

Repaired the inner sill today, just got to fabricate new section of sill & flat piece above it, still got the section of arch that was left over from before

When I first built the car, I made a front spoiler for it, this got caught on a kerb so was removed, I fancied the Mk1 Capri RS one but the replicas seemed too flimsy so I looked elsewhere & came up with a Mk1 golf, Had to widen it a bit but its very sturdy

DSCN0076_zpsw92eolee.jpg

A bit more work than expected then. It's always the way.

Looking good though!