rsvmk1

'63 MK1 project

Have now got round to installing the ST engine. This is a kind of 'shake down' fit as I want to install the engine, get it running and use it over the summer before a total strip down in the winter to get all the body work sorted out and resprayed.

Zetec045-1.jpg

Already had a 5 speed box installed so only needed new bellhousing and had to move it forward about 15mm to give engine clearance at bulkhead. Had to make up engine mounts as it had a Corsair crossmember for the Essex that was fitted.

Zetec037.jpg

Using bike throttle bodies and Emerald ECU.

Zetec042.jpg

Ran new fuel lines inside the car. Installing a swirl pot, lift pump, injection pump and filter in a housing at the back of the boot.

Zetec040.jpg

Found a pouch full of original documents when I was stripping out the interior, even old maps and a motoring magazine supplement from 1939. The car isn't original but the paper work is :lol:

Zetec046.jpg

nice looking job there boss..

Hi rsv mk1

Thats a tidy install what sump have you used is there much room beteewn the bulk head and the water rail. Do you still have any of the essex V6 install left

Gramar

R1 Andy - hope you're getting use of your own. Thanks, the install is going ok so far but time is the problem as always. Should look good when body work redone.

Hi Gramar, got a sump from Retroford and I tried to set the engine as far back as possible so there is only about 25mm clearance, just enough to fit the heater hose. Still got all the V6 parts apart from the Type 9 box as I am using that with another bell housing, haven't got round to doing anything with it yet.

Not done much this week but made up new brackets to fit a new Polo radiator, waiting for mounting kit for fan.

R1 Andy - hope you're getting use of your own. Thanks, the install is going ok so far but time is the problem as always. Should look good when body work redone.

Hi Gramar, got a sump from Retroford and I tried to set the engine as far back as possible so there is only about 25mm clearance, just enough to fit the heater hose. Still got all the V6 parts apart from the Type 9 box as I am using that with another bell housing, haven't got round to doing anything with it yet.

Not done much this week but made up new brackets to fit a new Polo radiator, waiting for mounting kit for fan.

Hi rsvmk1

Thanks for reply is it a front bowl sump what sort of price is it

Cheers Graham

cheers rsv

im using it as much as time will allow ..done almost a thousand miles so far..if i could get all my tools in the boot id be using it for work.

nice

so that is a 2L duratec with a front bowl sump fitted ?

can you get any pics of the cross member and sump area please?

Very nice install, look forward to seeing the rest of the build up.

nice

so that is a 2L duratec with a front bowl sump fitted ?

can you get any pics of the cross member and sump area please?

It's an ST170 lump, same as the Zetec RWD rear bowled sump, as the car has been subject to R&P steering too - looks well at home in the engine bay, very tidy :shocking:

You can get a front bowl sum for the Zetec though - I've got one fitted in my Mk1 & this way you don't need to utilise the after market (Retro Ford or Raceline) water rail, but the engine does sit further forward though.

What TB's are they?

What ECU will you be fitting to optimise the VVT?

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Edited by SS069

Graham, the frint bowl sunp was about £250 from Retroford.

Cortina-Mk1 the ST170 is badged Duratec but is a Zetec Black Top with stronger internals and different head.

Here's a pic of the cross member and sump -

010.jpg

Guru , the TB's are Suzuki GSXR 1000

007.jpg

The filters are just placed, not fitted yet.

Using the Emerald ECU, just started working on the the wiring.

Made up brackets and fitted the Polo rad - neat fit

006.jpg

Graham, the frint bowl sunp was about £250 from Retroford.

Cortina-Mk1 the ST170 is badged Duratec but is a Zetec Black Top with stronger internals and different head.

Here's a pic of the cross member and sump -

010.jpg

Guru , the TB's are Suzuki GSXR 1000

007.jpg

The filters are just placed, not fitted yet.

Using the Emerald ECU, just started working on the the wiring.

Made up brackets and fitted the Polo rad - neat fit

006.jpg

Thanks for the info when do you hope to have the car done

Chers graham

Hope to have it running by end of July if I have time to get on with it.

Making up new wiring loom at the moment :headscratch: Hope to have that finished by the end of the week. Waiting for a lift pump for the fuel tank.

My Rev counter will be defunct as it will be driven off the ECU. Anyone have any solutions to make old skool guages work with modern electronics?

Hope to have it running by end of July if I have time to get on with it.

Making up new wiring loom at the moment :headscratch: Hope to have that finished by the end of the week. Waiting for a lift pump for the fuel tank.

My Rev counter will be defunct as it will be driven off the ECU. Anyone have any solutions to make old skool guages work with modern electronics?

Send it to speedy cables. They will convert it to neg earth and fill it it modern gubbins. tell em what you want and they will do it.

My Mk1 Rev counter was converted to Neg earth and properly refurbed and calibrated 80 quid

Thanks Cortina GT. I will get on the case.

rsvmk1,

you have to make sure that when the tacho is upgraded that it can handle all modern electronic ignition sources

some will convert to neg earth but they still cant run on modern HEI etc ignition systems

CLICK HERE is a complete circuit board replacement

im using one of these