carphil288

MK2 steering column bushes

Hi all

I hope someone can help,

I have a 1966 Mk2 was a 1300 deluxe, but is now running a 3.5 V8, The steering is still running a steering box, but the top of the colomn, just behind the steering wheel boss is a rubber bush. This has completly disapeared. and now the steering wheel moves up and down,

Can you still get these or what are people using instead?

Any help would be great

Cheers

its not a rubber bush, its a piece of felt thats soaked in oil before fitting. Also fitted to MkI Cortinas, Corsairs etc, I know they were still available not so long back.

For a new best to give give the MkII OC club spares dept a call, though they don't wear a massive amount, so its sometimes worth picking up a second hand steering coloumn and take it from there. Be careful though - theres two types of coloum, the later one used a roller bearing instead of the felt one, and they are not interchangable :cheers:

Edited by G.O

Felt bushes are available from mk1 cortina owners club, but a late mk1 uses a polyurethane bush instead and I would have thought an early mk2 would have been the same. Part number for the MK1 poly bush 3004E-3576A and felt bush 100E-3517.

Tommy

Felt bushes are available from mk1 cortina owners club, but a late mk1 uses a polyurethane bush instead and I would have thought an early mk2 would have been the same. Part number for the MK1 poly bush 3004E-3576A and felt bush 100E-3517.

Tommy

series I MkII Cortinas absolutely definitely use a felt bush at the top of the steering coloum....

Well 1/66 on mk1's don't use the felt one, so thats a bit odd and my early mk2 parts book doesn't seem to list either which is doubly odd.

Tommy

Thanks folks

I am a bit more confussed but have been given a few numbers so will give some a ring on monday

Thanks for all your help

This is what they look like new from the MK1 owners club, i do have a spare one if your interested in it for yours, you soak it then roll it round and try and get it between the outer and inner column

£5 inc P+P

CIMG2809.jpg

CIMG2810.jpg

I machined my own out of nylon.

Ever thought of doing a batch to sell Ian, as id like a nylon one for the bottom as ive changed the column to rack and pinion

"Part number for the MK1 poly bush 3004E-3576A"

thats a 1965 on Corsair part number as well , though lots of parts do interchange obviously, odd that they would start fitting that part to Cortinas at that stage of production more likely Ford just listed it as apropriate replacement part at some time.

"and felt bush 100E-3517" obviously Anglia 100E part which makes sence as they would just continue using same part 100E - 105E - CORTINA

Edited by the-ford-cortina.com

Well 1/66 on mk1's don't use the felt one, so thats a bit odd and my early mk2 parts book doesn't seem to list either which is doubly odd.

Tommy

that says one of two things to me. Either Fords designers decided it didn't actually work/wear all that well, or (and perhaps more likely?) Fords accountants decided it was too expensive...

Tommy

that says one of two things to me. Either Fords designers decided it didn't actually work/wear all that well, or (and perhaps more likely?) Fords accountants decided it was too expensive...

I'd go with the penny pinching theory knowing Fords tendancies of the time

Definately felt on a mk2 i've- been rebuilding steering boxes for the last couple of weeks and all eight mk 2 boxes i stripped down had a felt column bush

This is what they look like new from the MK1 owners club, i do have a spare one if your interested in it for yours, you soak it then roll it round and try and get it between the outer and inner column

£5 inc P+P

CIMG2809.jpg

CIMG2810.jpg

Cool by the sounds of it that is what i need

How do i get the payment to you, do you have paypal, and what do you soak it in? ( Yes I know I sound really thick now!)

Cheers Phil

Ill send you a PM