carphil288

MK2 steering column bushes

Ill send you a PM

Hi all, just after some advice 

..is the steering assembly on my 67 Corsair 2000E the same as the Cortina Mk 2 (or possibly Mk1)?

I ask because I need a suitable boss to help fit an aftermarket wood-rim steering wheel...most searches indicate plenty available for various Cortinas, but no mention of the Corsair.

I'm no expert but would have thought the Corsair 2000E had many interchangeable components with either the Cortina Mk1 or 2.

Any help gratefully received.

57 minutes ago, consul315 said:

yep, Mk1 / 2 steering wheel will fit.

Hi all, just after some advice 

..is the steering assembly on my 67 Corsair 2000E the same as the Cortina Mk 2 (or possibly Mk1)?

I ask because I need a suitable boss to help fit an aftermarket wood-rim steering wheel...most searches indicate plenty available for various Cortinas, but no mention of the Corsair.

I'm no expert but would have thought the Corsair 2000E had many interchangeable components with either the Cortina Mk1 or 2.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks for the swift reply. You say a Cortina Mk 1 or Mk 2 steering wheel would fit. Do I then assume a steering boss advertised as fitting a Cortina of Mk1 or 2 vintage would be compatible with my 2000E?

it should fit concerning the spline (or teeth, not sure if it's the correct english word for it). i know there is a slight difference on the 1600E alloy steering wheel between S1 and S2, to have enough clearance to the column-shroud. i have fitted MK1 steering wheels to MK2s before and never had troubles.it s hard to tell from distance without having seen the boss in the flesh.sorry for not being very helpful, in case the boss is not too expensive i d give it a go, all i can offer is test fit an early and a late Mk2 steering wheel (or a facelift MK1) on my 2000e and let you know within the next days.

Edited by consul315

2 hours ago, consul315 said:

yep, Mk1 / 2 steering wheel will fit.

Thanks so much for your really helpful replies.I did not realise that you had a Corsair 2000E! If you could test fit one that would be really helpful...from that  I'd feel more confident before taking a punt on a boss.

I'll  wait for you to get back to me before doing anything else. And thanks again!

i m keen on all English Fords, though the Cortina is my main interest. plz give me a couple of days, as i haven t got the car at home. cheers Hans

Edited by consul315

Of course, Hans - thanks for your help! I take it from your name and reference to a LHD 2000E that you are based abroad? Even more reason for me to say  "thanks". Look forward to hearing from you soon. - Bill.

Hi Bill, i had a day off and weather was fine too, so i made a special topic for easier finding it later on. plz have a look in here. if you need addtitional pics plz let me know!

btw do you have a Hunter as well?

Edited by consul315

Hi Hans, this is really interesting as it clearly demonstrates the Corsair steering wheel / fitment  is pretty much interchangeable with the  Mk1 & 2 Cortina wheel set-up. Thanks for showing this so clearly. 

What I'm still I'm sure of is what boss I'd require in order to fit my aftermarket wood rim wheel (It's a 6-bolt type). Would it help if I attached a pic of the wheel?

Forgot to say, I don't have a Hunter. The name comes from a classic track from my favourite band - Free. They always closed their sets with "The Hunter"!

hi Hunter, yep a pic would be fine and maybe measure the hole distance/diameter.than i can compare with some wheels i have got.

Hi Hans...I'm afraid I'm having a little difficulty loading pics (apparently I need a Photobucket account) but I've measured the diameter of the steering wheel hole and it is approx 5.5cm or 55mm). Hope that helps. 

Also, you can see an image of the type of wheel it is by doing an internet search (or Ebay search) for Kyostar 15 inch Wood Rim Steering Wheel.

-- Bill