Rusty Bodie

Can u Recommend Suspension Kit for Mk4 Cortina?

hi all,

can you recommend a suspension kit for my mk4? i just bought it and it handles like a boat

in jelly!! lol

don't want anything radical but definate improvement is a must - it's shocking in comparison

to my little bland puma!

any web links etc would be most helpful.

many thanks

rusty :thumbup:

I would check the bushes for starters - especially the rear void bushes which are known to fail regularly.

Beware of polybushing the rear - can stiffen it up too much (even causing metal fatigue in the mountings)

thanks steve - the thing lolls about all over the place but then i guess that's 30 year old suspension for you!

rusty

Check the bushes first as advised above. When you have replaced all the ones that will almost certainly need doing :)

Then, depends if you want lowered or normal height, my mk5 (same suspension on mk3 4 and 5 ya see) has got Gaz dampers and uprated spax springs and it drives very nicely.

Bear in mind cortinas ARE flopy and rolly, they were never designed as sports cars :) You used to just buy a capri if you wanted that :)

poly bush the axle end of lower arms & top of diff, 2.3 rollbars but best bet is decent shockers spax or similar.

Thats great and thanks for your advice folks. can anyone recommend a place i can buy this kit for a mk4?

rusty :thumbup:

rally design are very good, great customer service.

my experience anyway

ditto & go for superflex bushes there more expensive but i've never had a prob wit fit or finish irrospective of car i was fitting them to, unlike some!

same as everyone has said! poly bush first, good set of springs (rallye design, burtons, etc) then a set of gaz adjustables so you can get the ride just right to siut you! the whole lot should cost you around £200 to £300 for new.

Thanks for all your advice folks! new suspension coming up!!

rusty :shocking:

Also, don't forget that the Puma is one of the best handling cars around. I'm jealous, they didn't bring them to Oz...

:headscratch:

Also, don't forget that the Puma is one of the best handling cars around. I'm jealous, they didn't bring them to Oz...

aye, i sold the little puma - it was affectionately called "the Go Kart" as you could chuck it about

all over the place and still stuck like glue to the road!