Sign in to follow this  
series111

engine paint colour

:thumbup: Hi all.

Can any of you help me, I am about to start cleaning my engine bay and thinking about painting the engine aswell,what colour should a 1969 1600e be, and what is the best paint to use.

:thumbup: Hi all.

Can any of you help me, I am about to start cleaning my engine bay and thinking about painting the engine aswell,what colour should a 1969 1600e be, and what is the best paint to use.

Dont do it mate,it's a nightmare :afro: ,i did this and its ended up taking 6 months and cost me hundreds of pound notes cos you end up stripping the engine bay then the steering (while its out and you can get too it easily) then you strip all the suspension down and find you need track rod ends or rubber covers.Then you strip bits off the engine cos its easier to paint so you end up buying a gasket set which then means while its out youll check it over which then turns into a rebuild before you know it,all because you bought a tin of red hammerite for £5.99 at halfords one sunday afternoon while the wife was next door in pets at home getting the dog biscuits,honestly!! :rofl: :wacko:

True story, I picked at a bit of rust on 23/12/06, it's still ongoing now.

For what it's worth, go for satin/matt black paint, while luminous orange seems a good idea at the time after a few hundred miles when oil has leaked all over the place it looks terrible.

Yes black is best colour to use

and :thumbup: to the other comments

mind you blue looks good :thumbup:

381626427_o.jpg