Sign in to follow this  
Dave A

mk 2 front windscreen

Hi everyone, I'm in bad need of a front windscreen for my series 2 Mark 2. (KY build date) It's been off the road with the screen out for over a year now because the spare screen I have seems too big and wont fit in with the 2 different screen seals that i have tried. It seems the new seals are thicker than the one taken out of the car. If I am correct, I need a series 1 screen which were smaller. Of screens i've checked, one measures 576 mm from top to bottom at the center of the screen, the other measures 581 mm and wont go in. Could somene please help me locate one of the smaller of the 2 screens?

Hi everyone, I'm in bad need of a front windscreen for my series 2 Mark 2. (KY build date) It's been off the road with the screen out for over a year now because the spare screen I have seems too big and wont fit in with the 2 different screen seals that i have tried. It seems the new seals are thicker than the one taken out of the car. If I am correct, I need a series 1 screen which were smaller. Of screens i've checked, one measures 576 mm from top to bottom at the center of the screen, the other measures 581 mm and wont go in. Could somene please help me locate one of the smaller of the 2 screens?

Don't claim to be a mk2 expert but I think you are using series 1 seals - the size of the windscreen aperture in the car shell was the same between series 1 / series 2, so you either need a series 2 seal to match your series 2 screen, or a series 1 screen to match your series 1 seal(s). Err... I think?!?

Don't claim to be a mk2 expert but I think you are using series 1 seals - the size of the windscreen aperture in the car shell was the same between series 1 / series 2, so you either need a series 2 seal to match your series 2 screen, or a series 1 screen to match your series 1 seal(s). Err... I think?!?

series 1 and series 2 screens are definately different shapes , you might get right screen in with wrong seal but best to have correct seal and correct screen

the biggest problem is getting one safely to Canada

Well, so far I haven't been able to find a place that lists different seals between early and late models. I've already purchased two different seals, one from U.K. and the other from New Zealand, using what I think is a series 2 screen and no success. I would be grateful for any info on where I may be able to purchase either or both items, new or used.

Well, so far I haven't been able to find a place that lists different seals between early and late models. I've already purchased two different seals, one from U.K. and the other from New Zealand, using what I think is a series 2 screen and no success. I would be grateful for any info on where I may be able to purchase either or both items, new or used.

Your problem is definately having the wrong screen , if you have two different seals one of them must be right - none of the seal manufactureres seem to understand that there are 2 different screens for some reason.

Your problem is definately having the wrong screen , if you have two different seals one of them must be right - none of the seal manufactureres seem to understand that there are 2 different screens for some reason.

But I think he's saying both the new seals are the same thickness (and different from the original)

But I think he's saying both the new seals are the same thickness (and different from the original)

That's correct. Through the course of this, since I pulled the screen out a year ago, I've broken one screen (laminated) and ruined 1 and almost 2 seals trying to get this thing back in the hole. I've done several screen replacements on all my Cortinas over the past 30 years and never had this problem. When I realed my Series 1 car recently I got them from Burton Power and they fit a treat.

I do remember years ago while replacing a screen on a Series 2 car and unknowingly installing the smaller screen into the original series 2 rubber and having about a 1/4 inch gap across the screen. At the time I just figured that maybe the rubber was shrunken and maybe had a poor reproduction screen so I just shimmed it up into place plugged it with sealant which was a bodge but seemed like the thing to do at the time. It worked, well it didn't leak too bad :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking most Mk 2 in U.K. were tempered windscreens?

Well you should be able to get the seal to fit whichever it is as long as you get the right screen , some seals just fit better than others , has no-one in USA a series 1 screen they can sell?

Well you should be able to get the seal to fit whichever it is as long as you get the right screen , some seals just fit better than others , has no-one in USA a series 1 screen they can sell?

Well I have tried a few different main glass companies for a number of years now with no luck, now after alot of digging, this firm called All Glass claim they can get one but they want over 800.00 Dollars for it which is more than I can afford.

I dont care if the screen is tempered or laminated as long as it fits. I'm really itching to drive this car after all this time. The other thing is since spring the car has been outdoors under a tarp with the screen out which I'm not fond of and winter is not far round the corner.

Well I have tried a few different main glass companies for a number of years now with no luck, now after alot of digging, this firm called All Glass claim they can get one but they want over 800.00 Dollars for it which is more than I can afford.

I dont care if the screen is tempered or laminated as long as it fits. I'm really itching to drive this car after all this time. The other thing is since spring the car has been outdoors under a tarp with the screen out which I'm not fond of and winter is not far round the corner.

It would cost hundrerds of dollars to ship a screen from here to Canada though and no courier firm would insure it against breakage :thumbup: I was thinking more of someone in USA having a used one try ridgeliven on ebay in California he has broken cortinas in the past he may still have a screen.

It would cost hundrerds of dollars to ship a screen from here to Canada though and no courier firm would insure it against breakage :thumbup: I was thinking more of someone in USA having a used one try ridgeliven on ebay in California he has broken cortinas in the past he may still have a screen.

Thanks very much for that i'll give him a try.