Sign in to follow this  
Martin1600E

Fuel Tank Sender MK2 - any way to repair?

are any of the other gauges also playing up? Just wondering if maybe the problem is with the voltage stabliser :unsure:

Yes, the other gauges work fine - although I seem to have problems with the battery discharging itself, and have also noticed when I first start up, ammeter is showing slightly +ve, which I would expect, but after a few mins is always dipped into -ve even when no lights, fans etc are on - would this be linked? I dunno lol - when the weather is warm n dry I will take the dash out and check the wiring perhaps..

Edited by Martin1600GT

Thanks Mike, no immediate hurry, because I only use it for work n' back.

:) its has kinda decided to stop working again - went about halfway up then slowly down....

Just gotta love these old cars :)

I know this is an old post but did you sort it out? Mine's started doing exactly the same, working sometimes & not others. Earthed my sender wire & gauge went to full so assumed the sender was faulty then it started to work again, I suppose the sender could have a intermittant fault but it's bloody annoying, especially as senders are getting so hard to get hold of!

I know this is an old post but did you sort it out? Mine's started doing exactly the same, working sometimes & not others. Earthed my sender wire & gauge went to full so assumed the sender was faulty then it started to work again, I suppose the sender could have a intermittant fault but it's bloody annoying, especially as senders are getting so hard to get hold of!

Nope still not sorted - keep wanting to take the dash out and have a good look at the wiring, but never seem to get the time...

Nope still not sorted - keep wanting to take the dash out and have a good look at the wiring, but never seem to get the time...

from the symptons of intermittant working i would say that the sender is faulty.

regards

Dave

Hi Martin,

I know a while has passed but have you sorted your fuel gauge yet? I managed to get another sender unit for mine as I thought that was the problem as it worked sometimes & not others & it went to full with the 'earth' test every time, went to fit the other unit & found the float full of fuel on mine, can't understand how it worked some times & not others! Soldered up the hole in the original float & its working ok now & I've been told a Austin Metro float fits the Cortina arm if it 'sinks' again. I've now got a spare sender just in case as I didn't have to use it this time! LOL

Ozzy.

Gents,

Can i jump onto this thread.....My fuel gauge is half a tank out (full by tank is half by gauge) does this sound like wiring or sender?

Many Thanks

Hi Martin,

I know a while has passed but have you sorted your fuel gauge yet? I managed to get another sender unit for mine as I thought that was the problem as it worked sometimes & not others & it went to full with the 'earth' test every time, went to fit the other unit & found the float full of fuel on mine, can't understand how it worked some times & not others! Soldered up the hole in the original float & its working ok now & I've been told a Austin Metro float fits the Cortina arm if it 'sinks' again. I've now got a spare sender just in case as I didn't have to use it this time! LOL

Ozzy.

Hi Ozzy,

Nice one :) I still haven't sorted mine. Sadly my Cortina is not getting any attention at the minute due to other things going on :(

I barely manage to start it up very couple of weeks and drive it round the block.