Sign in to follow this  
canadian_Mk3

No power what so ever

I had the wiring loom out of my engine bay for paint. Last friday, I wanted to try the stereo I had just installed. I only hooked up the loom at the fuse box, the 2 grommet plugs, the altenator, and to the solenoid, and of course a new battery.thats all that was plugged in. This is a 2.0l Mk3 if it helps. I turn the key, no power. Check all my connections and fuses, nothing. This all worked before i took the wiring loom out. Any ideas??

David

its grounded to the engine which is grounded to the chassis. again i checked every connection and still nada

if pre engaged starter make sure all connections at starter are tight and secure.

The battery isn't duff is it ? I've come across new ones before that are discharged/faulty. What about the thin wire that connects to the positive terminal on the battery along with the heavy duty starter wire ? It is connected isn't it ? I went out and bought a battery years (and years....) ago thinking the one I had was faulty and it turned out that I had forgotten to connect that thin wire. The battery I had replaced was just fine........ :rolleyes:

I dont think I had the thin wire on the positive battery terminal. The only other wire that went to the positive terminal was for my amplifier :thumbup:

I was looking at it today and if i jump the solenoid so that the power coming from the battery is on the right hand terminal the starter motor will turn but the gear will not engage the flywheel. After christmas I can take a better look and hopefully solve my problem

but if i did have the thin wire off the positive battery, where would it go?

hi i would say battery earth if bay has been painted but try a different battery on it that you know is good as it may have just dyed as they do now alternator and starter motor wires check nothings loose? also simple checks for spark etc

also having thought about it without being rude i wonder if youve made a wiring error on fitting your stereo which would also flat the battery? just a thought? good luck anyway

if the thin wire isn't connected to the pos(+) terminal on the batt then the car will have no power.

have you reconnected both small wires to the starter solonoid?

you need to short one of the small terminal's (spade i think) to make the starter pinion move in & out.

Well correct me if im wrong, but the positive wire from the battery goes on the outside terminal of the solenoid along with the red wire going to the ignition switch, the spade plugs in on top, and the trigger wire is underneath the outside solenoid terminal. Thinking back, i put the positive lead from the battery on the outside terminal and the red wire going to the ignition switch on the other (inside) terminal. So therefore, there is no power getting to the switch, so it is unable to power the electronics of the car. I cant check that as i will not be around my car untill sometime after xmas, but im fairly sure that is the problem. I have never had a thin wire coming off the positive battery lead other than my amp and constant stereo power but it has ran before without it. And ive had my stereo in for awhile. My cortina has been shuffled around from my dads shop to my grandparents garage where it soon became an honorary table so my dad could work on my grandpas 1962 jag Mk2. This shuufle was about 4 days after stripping the bay. It lasted about 4 months and ended last weekend. But i think i solved my own problem. Wish me luck.