Sign in to follow this  
mk5 cortina rules

lowering springs wont stay in when jacked up

hi all ive lowered my 2 door mk5 by 2" all round and it has a 2.3 rear axle but when i jack the rear up or put it on my 2 poster ramp at work the rear springs become lose so you can move them freely have i done something wrong in fitting them or is there some thing i can do to stop the axle from going down as much as it will fail the mot as it is any help would be great as its almost mot time thanks

You could fit check straps to the dampers so that they don't extend to their full length allowing the springs to come loose. :thumbup:

Shouldn't fail the MOT really cos to check the rear bearings they jack up from the diff so there's no axle droop to worry about unless your MOT tester specificly tests for it or uses a 2 post ramp (never had a MOT on a 2 poster?) the esasyest way is straps stopping the axle droping, there are specifics straps made out there or make some using seat belt webbing ;)

When I built a cortina based kit car Many moons ago, I used shorter dampers, I think they were triumph spitfire or herald. I don't know whether They would be suitable on the bigger cortina??

cable tie the springs on whatever end comes off.That should be ok.

Definitely a case for shorter dampers. If you call Spax or someone like that with the spec they should be able to sort you out. Worrying though, who's springs are you using? They're usually long enough.

Definitely a case for shorter dampers. If you call Spax or someone like that with the spec they should be able to sort you out. Worrying though, who's springs are you using? They're usually long enough.

im useing lowering springs form burton power

im useing lowering springs form burton power

Sorry to ask the obvious but have you spoken to Burton, they're usually quite helpful

you'll have to use some form of strap/cable tie etc as the lowered spring is physically shorter than a std spring.

useing shorter shockers will help but they'll be pulled against there ends causeing poss damage to them.

you'll have to use some form of strap/cable tie etc as the lowered spring is physically shorter than a std spring.

useing shorter shockers will help but they'll be pulled against there ends causeing poss damage to them.

The standard rear shocks act as spring retainers, why would shorter ones with shorter springs be any different/worse?

Rover SD1s did this - if you jacked up the rear end the springs fell out. :shocking:

because the spring is shorter than the gap when the axle is at full drop if the body is supporting the wieght rather than the axle, corsa's have the same prob when lowered.

the op has fitted 2in lowering springs on the rear of a mk3/4/5 the coil spring is near vertical unlike the frts, therefore they are 2 inch shorter in free length from memory std are approx 10 in & only require slightly compressing to fit, so if say the gap between axle & body on full drop with shocker attached is say 9 in, then the 2in lowered (8in) spring is an inch shorter than gap & falls out!

as the rear shock doesn't fit inside the spring like the frt .

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

thanks for the idea and help people

Shouldnt be a problem for test lots of landrovers have dis-locating springs for axel travel :thumbup:

Edited by cortinapaul