mk4savage

1979 Roman Bronze Mk4 Ghia

Great pictures and a great car, Roman Bronze is a fantastic colour, a really beautiful car :thumbup:

Looks superb Matt, one of the best Mk4s around, look forward to seeing it at Monmouth :thumbup:

I had great 77 2.0 Ghia in Roman Bronze, I repainted it Roman Bronze/Oyster Gold.

Roman Bronze really suits the MK4.

This one looks fantastic.

Edited by CorNada

Thanks everyone for the comments. Those old photo's should have been at the start of the thread but I mislaid them.I just wish I'd taken more when I first got it :headscratch: Glad you like them :thumbup:

I will be at Monmouth this year, just hoping for some dry weather.

Edit: Found the photo's. They are now at the start of the thread but also again on page 5.

Edited by mk4savage

Old thread resurrected. I noticed all the photo's had disappeared a while back so I've been working on it over the last couple of days to replace them.

It's great you can edit such old posts. I've done my best to replace them as it's hard to remember which photo went where.

I've made a few changes and added a few bits here and there. Should be able to make sense of it.

One thing though, it's alarming how much time has passed since I started this Thread :ohmy:

Edited by mk4savage
  • Like 2

very interesting to read the posts back from the "hightimes" of BSC. and yes i m also always thrilled how time escapes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, consul315 said:

very interesting to read the posts back from the "hightimes" of BSC. and yes i m also always thrilled how time escapes.

Hi Hans.

Yes, it's very quiet on here these days. Shame really as it is a great Forum. I prefer Forums as the old threads can be resurrected and the search function is far better than the one you get on Facebook. 

I can't believe the original thread here was started nearly 12 years ago. Shocking :ohmy:

• Like 2

I think the next thing on the car was the exhaust which I changed in 2016. Not much happened after I had the new front end fitted. I moved house and we lost my Mother in law and my Grandad in 2014 so once again the Cortina was left in the garage. I did go to a few local shows later in 2014 but I don't think I returned to Cortina day until 2016.

Here's the old Exhaust system, Terrible Power Flow effort. Never liked it from day one.

20160619_090459.thumb.jpg.186c28037486809c830328517df3ba68.jpg

20160619_090540.thumb.jpg.dad1d9cc24f205e13b2a48e904e2417f.jpg

New rubber needed I think :laugh:

20160619_090622.thumb.jpg.cfbdc10ef1a4719347f96ad7502a55e6.jpg

20160619_094535.thumb.jpg.48f504c2c98962a1a7fc440696b9d9b2.jpg

The guy did bend it nicely over the axle

20160619_094600.thumb.jpg.e81fa42fc1b1b207e1c2fdfd19708f86.jpg

20160619_094611.thumb.jpg.b7dcf43e90de4557e522744d8987e2c3.jpg

20160619_094650.thumb.jpg.2ee161ff01b26a1275118dbabd82de73.jpg

But, it was a horrible thing and was starting to go bad ways especially on the downpipe to centre section. I'd had it welded a few times to try and stop it blowing but I just had enough of it. 

I managed to get a part system after a wanted add on here from Martyn (Martog) He had the down pipes and centre section which he kindly sent via a courier. The back box I got from Oldpartstore and I was lucky to get that.  One thing I noticed when fitting the standard steel system, the car had better performance. That "stainless" system must have been restricting it somewhat. I always thought the day I had that fitted the car didn't seem to go as well as it did. 

I had a party the day that system came off :rofl:

To me this looked a thousand times better..

20160619_141724.thumb.jpg.dd202ba7c0f7bd93aab9e2770cb78b8a.jpg

Monmouth 2019

IMG_3720.thumb.JPG.b7f6bdc9cb1bf7ce25cee5125b5f3ba7.JPG

IMG_3760.thumb.JPG.2b695e2ea57a6f2b982e06828b953851.JPG

This shot was taken in the exact same spot as the second early photo I have from 1998. Same street 19 years later :ohmy:

DSC_0641.thumb.JPG.a7617509bfd4a9505b3459368eabe531.JPG

I have a feeling the centre boxes are on the way out.

I've noticed it's started to sound a bit louder than it did. Not a horrible sound just a bit more noisy than it should be. Externally it looks ok but I think the centre boxes are on the way out. I've thought about getting new ones welded in ? What do you reckon ?

Edited by mk4savage
  • Like 2

Stunning looking car 

A real credit to you for keeping it so nice 

I agree tail pipe looks better standard 

• Like 1

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/exhaust-front-silencer-v6-20-23l-42834202-1

Looks like you can still get the center section from Motormobil in Germany. 

I think you have done well with the bits I sold you back then. I wasn't sure what it was like inside, as it had stood about in my shed for a good while.

Nice car you have there my friend, we're gonna have to meet up at some point, though I can't do Cortina day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J2S said:

Stunning looking car 

A real credit to you for keeping it so nice 

I agree tail pipe looks better standard 

Many thanks mate. There's loads I would love to have done to improve it but sadly I just don't have the time or skills to do it myself. Mechanical stuff I can do 90 % of but welding and bodywork is just not for me I'm afraid. I've tried both and I wouldn't win any awards :laugh:

4 minutes ago, martog said:

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/exhaust-front-silencer-v6-20-23l-42834202-1

Looks like you can still get the center section from Motormobil in Germany. 

I think you have done well with the bits I sold you back then. I wasn't sure what it was like inside, as it had stood about in my shed for a good while.

Nice car you have there my friend, we're gonna have to meet up at some point, though I can't do Cortina day.

It's certainly done the job for a fair few years and I'm very grateful of it. I've learned that MK5 2.3 left hand side downpipe fits a 2.8 Granada manifold which is what I have on at the moment. Mk4 is a totally different angle which is the one I didn't have (but have 2 now lol) I think the insides of the centre boxes had suffered a bit, a fair amount of crust came out before I fitted it but outside looks sound. The way I see it is if I can't get one it's a good pattern to have one made :thumbsup: it's also a better design where the two sections go into one at the back. Some I've seen including the one in the Ford workshop book look a bit dodgy to say the least. I don't like how the one pipe is just spliced into the other rather than a Y Section .

I have seen the Motomobil ones and probably would buy one if I had to. 

I tried PD Gough in Nottingham for a stainless one but they hadn't got the pattern to build one. I remember the Roman Bronze 3.0 Super Speed Estate had one that's why I tried them but no luck. Must have been custom built.

I'd like a meet up at some point, that would be great. Would like to see your MK4 in the flesh. May take a trip up North a bit to a show or something. Manchester isn't that far really as long as the M6 is working :rofl:

Not posted for a while but the latest from me is I picked up a bit of a bargain at the weekend. 25 quid for this centre section and it was quite local to me which is a first. Usually have to travel hundreds of miles or have it sent via a courier. 

I believe this is the same as the one that Motomobil supply ? It came from Poland apparently. Looks alright to me but the only downside is how the pipes are spliced together like that. I think the original system is like that but the one I have on at the moment has a nice Y section connecting the pipes together. 

This one even has 3 clamps and a pigs nose rubber. Bonus. 

FB_IMG_1710691072464~2.jpg

• Like 3

You did well there. :thumbsup:

I tend to find aftermarket exhausts last about 5 years before they start rotting away at the joints then fall apart. The one on my daily modern-ish car fell apart after 6 years which isn't bad going really. Replaced it now with a Stainless non cat straight through pipe with twin tail pipes.

• Like 1

Read this tread from the start today,

Great story and so lucky to have the car for so long a great history.

Love the car.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1