conairmike

My Mk3 2.3

.......brilliant thread, work and conversion, should be a great one to catch the foolish people out on the road, you know the sort that think all classics are slow n sluggish.

.......brilliant thread, work and conversion, should be a great one to catch the foolish people out on the road, you know the sort that think all classics are slow n sluggish.

Thanks dude, We've done our best to try and keep it standard looking with the install, kinda like if i was done factory ish, definatley catch a few out :showoff:

Great work Mike.

Cheers Dude :cheers:

Right next up Part 5

We had a loverly pile of parts to fit to the new engine which was now in position, first up we bolted on the inlet manifold and carb, then plumbed in the fuel lines, we also fitted an electric fuel pump as well, this wasn't just choice but necessity as the I4 doesn't have a mechanical pump, after fitting that up we then moved on to cooling side, we are using a london taxi rad as recommended by a fellow member on here Dan Buckley, Carl and i (Mainly carl) made a cradle for this to sit in and bolt to, the cradle in turn bolts to the original rad screw hole, unfortunately i don't have any pics of it as like i mentioned by this point it was just 2 of us and i got slack on the pics, for the top we used so L brackets which we got all mad max on and bent them to shape, again these bolt to the rad mount hole and then to the rad, we fitted the electric fan to the rad before we put it in and then Carl wired in the fan and switch adding a relay and inline fuse for saftey, then we plumbed in the hose's, believe it or not the pinto bottom hose fitted upside down back to front, the top hose was kind a mix of hose's we had, we added genuine plastic t pieces so we could run the heater hoses, by this point the car had also been off to have the exhaust done, as you will have seen a page or so back i had a custom stainless made back in october which is awesome however the I4 has the exhaust manifold on the other side :( so the company who made it made a new joining section for me, Sorted :) Steph and i swapped the alternator pulleys over as now the car would run a modern v belt a trip to the scrappy resulted in a free alternator which we took the pulley off and the then a trip to the local parts shop saw a belt acquired, so all that really left was fire the beast up and see what happends, forgive some of the pics they have taken today to catch up lol

IMAG1813.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.55.32.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.56.09.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.55.56.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.58.16.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.56.47.jpg

received_10155299331705268.jpeg

received_10155299331655268.jpeg

received_10203383983632654.jpeg

2015-04-12%2015.56.26.jpg

2015-04-12%2015.56.34.jpg

That ends this section, More to come soon :)

Cheers for following

Mike

Been fitting these engines and singing there praises for the last 10 years good luck with yours,

You're getting it together nice and quick dude. Impressed with the exhaust, did you trailer the car there & get them to fit it in situe?

Been fitting these engines and singing there praises for the last 10 years good luck with yours,

I know dude and the advice and help you gave to me at the start was awesome thank you :)

You're getting it together nice and quick dude. Impressed with the exhaust, did you trailer the car there & get them to fit it in situe?

Well there was a target in sight for this dude, cheers the guys who made it are top fellas and there work was awesome, the car was trailered there and then dropped back.

Nice conversion.

Does the Near Side flexi brake pipe clear the exhaust when on full Left Hand Down?

Pete-H

Cheers dude, it dose but I am going to put some form of heat shielding around it just to be sure

Time to bring you up to where we are now

its done (ish) lol it runs, drives and stops, is taxed (exempt now) and well what can i say, its awesome! its not completely wrapped up as its in shakedown mode at the mo, but its brill, we did have a little hick up, we had an air leak, which we solved, pulled the carb and resealed it jobs a good'un but we still had a rubbish idle, we ended up with a compression tester which ended up showing number 4 cylinder was low at 100 compared to about 170 for rest so Carl stripped off the head as the only thing we could think off was when the timing jumped which happend god nows how after the first fire up and after the exhaust was done, we went to start it but it jammed, after head scratching we rechecked the timing and it was way out, technically its shouldn't really possible, Especially but the amount it was, it bent a valve which it had, lucky thou carl has some spare so he swapped it put and wallah idles a beut and runs nice, just needs setting up a bit now as she runs lean, had the idle set at work and subsequently broke the gas analyzer lol but now booked for a rolling road set up.

Enough of my confused waffle, some pictures!!

IMG-20150412-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0002.jpg

And how we are now :)

IMAG2019.jpg

Cheers for following

More updates to come as we shake the old girl down

Mike

......shame about the valve issue, brilliant youve stripped and sorted it, try and post a video of it driving, are they high revers being valvers?

......shame about the valve issue, brilliant youve stripped and sorted it, try and post a video of it driving, are they high revers being valvers?

Cheers dude, yeah it sucked a bit but Carl had it all sorted pretty quick which i'm massively grateful for, without carl this would'nt have happened at all as it was his fault for planting the seeds of the conversion and the fact he is like a swiss army knife of skills lol not just carl thou there has been a whole team effort here and i've had some real help and advice from Steve Taylor and Dan Buckley who are both on here, also our oval racing friends have been real helpful as well with certain things so BIG thanks to everyone :)

I will try and do a vid so you can hear it, it dose sound awesome lol

Cheers

Mike

I look forward to a video clip!

Well done :thumbup:

Looks really smart in there man! I love engine swaps as it's one of those mods that you cant really see until you pop the bonnet, then you can see it's a proper mod.

I look forward to a video clip!

Well done :thumbup:

Cheers dude, As soon as i can i will get one done, got a show this coming week end so i'll see if i can get something done :)

Looks really smart in there man! I love engine swaps as it's one of those mods that you cant really see until you pop the bonnet, then you can see it's a proper mod.

Cheers bud, we tried really hard to make it look like a stock ish install, there is lots of tidying to do still but for the shakedown period we'll leave it so, yeah i know what you mean, i love sleepers and catching people unaware, we had our first East coast Retros meet of the season on friday night and i did'nt move for about an hour as people kept asking questions and walking over.

Update time

Since last time i have sorted the starter motor, no longer do i have a bodged spaced pinto starter i now have an 1.8 CVH starter fitted and working pefectly, also i have a new clutch, once i knew the set up i had worked i brought a new one to replace the slipping 2nd hand one, both of these we fitted last night on the drive, sorry no pics as we were a little busy lol however i will make up for with pictures and videos of my Dyno run with my friends and legends at DLF classics, Today was'nt just a case of power it was to properly tune and set up the carb and that was were Steve earned his crust, he enlarged the main jets and did some more voodoo tinkering and the final result was 164 BHP & 201 ft.lbs, Happy am i and the beast pulls like a train and flys sideways, anyway enough waffle here are some pics,

2015-05-01%2008.50.41.jpg

2015-05-01%2008.57.21.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.01.55.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.16.21.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.19.26.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.19.37.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.24.43.jpg

2015-05-01%2009.26.21.jpg

2015-05-01%2011.29.06.jpg

2015-05-01%2013.55.45.jpg

And Hopefully the vids

Cheers For Following