Duke Blues

my 2XL resto.

Yo Graham

I'm back !!! :thumbup:

Looking good mate and your welding skills have definitely moved on a pace or two.

Hat off to you buddy

hello my mate :thumbup:

i have done a few more repairs than expected and so my approach to repairs has changed.

also my welding has changed as i have gone from flux core to Co2 and now Co2/argon. all quite different but the Co2 / argon welding

is in a class of it's own.

nice to hear from you

graham

hello my mate :thumbup:

i have done a few more repairs than expected and so my approach to repairs has changed.

also my welding has changed as i have gone from flux core to Co2 and now Co2/argon. all quite different but the Co2 / argon welding

is in a class of it's own.

nice to hear from you

graham

Flux cored is total crap mate, I'm surprised you done so will with it.

Its a new year and a new spirit mate.

cheers nogE :thumbup:

new year new start

i have been nice and cosy this week beavering away in my garage

garageextwoodburnerdooropen2-1.jpg

i have managed to get a few jobs done but there's much to do before the car is ready for paint and i am determined to have it painted this year.

trouble is the more i try to prep the car the more rot i find. which means more fabrication and welding to be done.

great to see you back on this. you done soem good work there i like the spotweld drill outs, tidy, you can do it

Flux cored is total crap mate, I'm surprised you done so will with it.

Its a new year and a new spirit mate.

nah nah nah m8 :ninja:

flux core ain't crap :thumbdown:

it's an art form that needs to be mastered :icecream:

it has it's uses and you can with a bit of effort get some good results with it

as long as you have an angle grinder to hand to tidy things up afterwards.

i used it for a while until a friend of mine gave me a bottle of pub gas.

luckily i was using a gas / no gas clark 90 welder and so the change over was easy.

to be honest i wasn't sure that i wanted to use the pub gas ( Co2 ) as i

was used to welding with flux core but i gave it a go. it was surprisingly easy to weld

with as long as i remembered to turn the Co2 on :unsure:

i carried on with the Co2 until my clark 90 died last year and achived good results.

i was without a welder for a while as i was saving up to buy a new welder but then

my mate that gave me the pub gas gave me his clark 100E. it's not the welder that i wanted

but it was a gift horse and so i accepted it with a grateful smile. :rolleyes:

as i had saved up a few bob i went out and bought a bottle of Co2 / argon and a regulator.

£130 later i was in the garage trying out the new welding gas........

it was so quiet to weld with that i thought my welder had developed a fault :headscratch:

it's a very well behaved and predictable weld although it dose glow a lot brighter in my visor.

i would still use flux core for certain jobs but the Co2/ argon is quicker in that there

isn't so much cleaning up to do afterwards.

i'm no expert and so these pinions are based on my own experiences.

( disclaimer ) :P

great to see you back on this. you done soem good work there i like the spotweld drill outs, tidy, you can do it

hello pete

i don't know where you found the determination and enthusiasm to keep the swampy project

moving on but after months of working in the garage and my car still looks like a heap

i started to get a little run down and so i took a little time off to work on another project.

but my cortina is still my No1 project and it feels good to be back on with it.

i could have had the car painted by now if i wasn't so fussy about things like details

and quality. i don't see the point in doing the work unless i'm doing a good job of it.

i have some catching up to do. :shocking:

nah nah nah m8 :ninja:

flux core ain't crap :thumbdown:

it's an art form that needs to be mastered :icecream:

it has it's uses and you can with a bit of effort get some good results with it

as long as you have an angle grinder to hand to tidy things up afterwards.

i used it for a while until a friend of mine gave me a bottle of pub gas.

luckily i was using a gas / no gas clark 90 welder and so the change over was easy.

to be honest i wasn't sure that i wanted to use the pub gas ( Co2 ) as i

was used to welding with flux core but i gave it a go. it was surprisingly easy to weld

with as long as i remembered to turn the Co2 on :unsure:

i carried on with the Co2 until my clark 90 died last year and achived good results.

i was without a welder for a while as i was saving up to buy a new welder but then

my mate that gave me the pub gas gave me his clark 100E. it's not the welder that i wanted

but it was a gift horse and so i accepted it with a grateful smile. :rolleyes:

as i had saved up a few bob i went out and bought a bottle of Co2 / argon and a regulator.

£130 later i was in the garage trying out the new welding gas........

it was so quiet to weld with that i thought my welder had developed a fault :headscratch:

it's a very well behaved and predictable weld although it dose glow a lot brighter in my visor.

i would still use flux core for certain jobs but the Co2/ argon is quicker in that there

isn't so much cleaning up to do afterwards.

i'm no expert and so these pinions are based on my own experiences.

( disclaimer ) :P

I used flux cored once when I ran out of wire on a Sunday afternoon. I done about 4 inch and thought what a load of crap :lol: gave up and waited till next day and get some proper wire :lol:

You done some good results tho

I used flux cored once when I ran out of wire on a Sunday afternoon. I done about 4 inch and thought what a load of crap :lol: gave up and waited till next day and get some proper wire :lol:

You done some good results tho

:thumbup:

when i started this resto i didn't know how to weld and so i didn't know the difference :headscratch:

the results that i achieved were due to using flux core over about 18 months and in that time

i was able to achieve some good results.

i find that most people say that flux core is crap even though they have never tried it for them selves.

others have tried it for a short while and found it more difficult to use than with gas and so they write

it off as being crap.

just because something is difficult doesn't mean that it's crap.

using flux core can be quite handy but the initial results are not as good as welding with gas.

in my own opinion of course ...........

just a small update and hopefully the last bit of welding on the body shell. ( how many times have i had that thought )

after repairing the corner finisher bracket i got on with welding it in.

picture looks crap :thumbdown:

20140126_173652_zpshdpe01wt.jpg

that bit ticked off the list i went on to repair the top part of the door frame which had a rotten hole in it.

so i cut it out and made up a small repair section.

20140126_134717_zpspzkcdibe.jpg

it was an awkward and fiddly job but a dremmel came in handy for cutting out the rotten steel.

( as you can see i was a little too over zealous with the spot weld drill. :oops:

20140126_134748_zpsqymsoioo.jpg

i used a piece of off cut steel left over from another job to make the repair section and a bit of cardboard to make a template.

20140126_140453_zpsyc6jwwfi.jpg

an easy enough piece to make but an awkward angle to weld in.

20140126_143458_zpsous2fd72.jpg

20140126_144033_zps5vlqiyh6.jpg

20140126_144033_zps5vlqiyh6.jpg

20140126_164957_zpsiqtf0hr8.jpg

that for the moment :excl: brings to an end the repairs to the body shell so my next task will be to finish making repairs to the doors.

i'm hoping to have the welding and fabrication out of the way in time for the warmer weather. then it will be filling and priming time. :thumbup:

Tidy looking repairs :thumbup: LETS hope you don't find anymore :chain: :sofa:

Tidy looking repairs :thumbup: LETS hope you don't find anymore :chain: :sofa:

cheers m8

as much as i enjoy the fabrication and making the repairs i really need to have the car painted this year so hopefully i won't find any more rot in the body shell. still plenty of work to do on the doors though. :chain:

Good stuff Graham :thumbup:

always enjoy seeing updates g....... nice one... :thumbup:

cheers ady, pete, nogE

it's good to be able to get some of these jobs out of the way. :thumbup:

yesterday i made a trip out to meet jon in leeds. i needed an old door to use as a donor to make some repairs to my doors. as it was jon had four doors cluttering his garage up and so i left with all four.

20140209_112844_zpsmeaiaujf.jpg

three are rotted and fit only for donors but this one is in reasonable condition.

20140209_113108_zpsdy4vlmhz.jpg

as i have already re built my n/s rear door i'll have to take a look and see which one to use.

one good thing about these doors is that they still have the ziebart plastic plugs fitted and a ziebart sticker.

20140209_112958_zpsrlszi3e9.jpg

20140209_112929_zpsxo2llog0.jpg

i think that these are a nice touch and so i'll probably use them on my project.

20140209_121110_zpsciqinljm.jpg

i have put the plastic caps into a container of parafin to soak, so hopefully they will come up ok. as for the sticker, i'm not sure whether you can still buy these or if a good copy can be made. or i may be able to re use this one.

more to follow. :thumbup:

cheers ady, pete, nogE

it's good to be able to get some of these jobs out of the way. :thumbup:

yesterday i made a trip out to meet jon in leeds. i needed an old door to use as a donor to make some repairs to my doors. as it was jon had four doors cluttering his garage up and so i left with all four.

20140209_112844_zpsmeaiaujf.jpg

three are rotted and fit only for donors but this one is in reasonable condition.

20140209_113108_zpsdy4vlmhz.jpg

as i have already re built my n/s rear door i'll have to take a look and see which one to use.

one good thing about these doors is that they still have the ziebart plastic plugs fitted and a ziebart sticker.

20140209_112958_zpsrlszi3e9.jpg

20140209_112929_zpsxo2llog0.jpg

i think that these are a nice touch and so i'll probably use them on my project.

20140209_121110_zpsciqinljm.jpg

i have put the plastic caps into a container of parafin to soak, so hopefully they will come up ok. as for the sticker, i'm not sure whether you can still buy these or if a good copy can be made. or i may be able to re use this one.

more to follow. :thumbup:

Mark on here 'Markthree' can make this sticker for you Graham. I believe he is building a sticker archive. he's doen some great ones for me, if you scan it or close up pic he will do it im sure