dockertrigger

1974 Cortina 2000 XL Mk3

it looks top trig, really nice :thumbup: black for me.

I've been playing about with the stripes again yesterday, I've now ran a twin white one along the lower swage line, I think it looks pretty good?.

13975120778_c202f08fe5_c.jpg

14181844463_88eed7b4fd_c.jpg

Edited by dockertrigger

That does look pretty darn good...

I'd still stick to my guns and say it should be as it left the factory with the stripe mid-way up the flank but I think what you've come up with there looks pretty slick and should remain.

wow................. that looks stunning .............credit to you......fantastic job done :icecream:

I like the lower one a lot better.

I've been really rubbish at keeping this thread updated since the respray!.

Basically i just used it last summer for a number of shows where it proved to be a reliable as ever.

15856788451_c17b7f19d0_b.jpg1974 Ford Cortina 2000 XL Mk3 by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

I put in my FIL's garage over winter and made a start collecting the bits for the 5 speed conversion, Then on the 1st of March i dragged it back of his garage again where it started 1st time even after 6 months and i drove it straight to a car meet near mine that i organise.

10993130_809160345836590_769246962989247781_o.jpg

Then last Saturday me and my dad fitted the T9, on the floor of the garage, great fun!

2w2igd0.jpg

257eq7q.jpg

To be fair it wasn't too bad, the old box was out in less than 2 hours, and the new clutch fitted and aligned before having the worse part of lifting the new box in, that was a killer!, especially as that sandwich plate kept falling off at the same time!.

2ev678o.jpg

I used a redrilled Capri crossmember which needed a little modifying and brute force to fit! But it all went ok, the car moves back and forwards on it's own but i haven't road tested it as i still need to remove the clocks so that i can fit the Sierra speedo cable.

The only issue is how tight the prop end of the box is around the gear lever hole, we've wedged a screwdriver in there for now in hope that it will help push it down into the new crossmember bush, the lever is also a bit long I'm sure I'll get use to that.

s5h54o.jpg

So that's where we are, I plan on bringing it to the Cortina day weekend in June so that will be a good chance to see how much difference this new box makes as that's a 440 mile round trip!.

In other news i collected this yesterday, I'll start a new thread for it now.

33u67g3.jpg

Edited by dockertrigger
  • Upvote 1

great work trig

got a 5 speed box here i need to fit to swampy, may have to quiz you on some things

pete

Just cought up Trig with your thread again , Cras looks sweet sir! :) I must admit green brown and blue my fav colours on mk3s

(stripe?) the white one is a bit too straight for me :sofa:

Have you put spacers between the crossmember and the floor? You need to bring the back of the box down a bit... :thumbup:

especially as that sandwich plate kept falling off at the same time!.

For next time, a couple of cable ties will hold the sandwich plate in place, and once the 'box is fitted you can cut them and wiggle them out.

got a 5 speed box here i need to fit to swampy, may have to quiz you on some things

Swampy? Modified? :shocking:

Good idea about the cable ties, there was a lot of swearing going whilst trying to hold the box up and repeatedly put this bloody plate back on again!

I think spacers might be the way forwards, I have a chat with dad about in next week when we finish the job off. (I'm off on holiday to sunny Wales today so won't get time before)

As an apprentice at a ford main dealer, they told us to tap a centre punch next to the dowels and this would hold them in place.....

caught up with this thread after a long time. brilliant work :thumbup: and a nice collection you have got :winner: ! :cheers:

This weekend i went on my longest road trip in this, I'm on another forum called Autos(hit)e and every year we have a meet, this year it was in Llangollen & Devil's Bridge in Wales, roughly a 600 mile round trip for me, as I've now got the 5 Speed box in the car i decided to take that.

Friday morning wasn't the greatest of starts as it was thundering and chucking it down.

25swykh.jpg

Then once I got to the M6 i hit the bad traffic, it took me nearly 3 hours to do 5 miles due to 3 lanes being closes because a lorry had dropped a container, it was hell, It was hot, cars around me kept breaking down but the Cortina stayed perfect, the amount of attention it was getting was unreal too, I felt like a naked, big boobed blonde girl sat in the car!.

inbon9.jpg

After 7 hours and 265 miles i arrived at the Llangollen motor museum were we was camped for the night, my Tina made a friend with this very period pre facelift 2.0 L estate which came from only a few towns away from me.

2mmsn7a.jpg

iepk5g.jpg

We had a look around the museum, this strange looking home made car was inside there, it was based on a Mk2 Cortina.

2ltg0oo.jpg

The following day we done a 3 hour drive to Devil's Bridge via Lake Vyrnwy in a 16 car convoy via the single track mountain passes and a lap around the lake, it was hard going but the scenery was amazing.

143nzn4.jpg

2mrd01z.jpg

2a9tusm.jpg

After a nights drinking and bonfires we had a play in each others cars up a mountain road towards Hafod, I got to drive an Isuzu Piazza, Renault 16, Scimitar GTE and a few other bits, great fun was had by all. I got to drive the other Mk3 Cortina as well, That drove a little nicer than mine which makes me think the tracking might be out.

2rnx6dc.jpg

After that me and Col, The other Mk3 owner, done a convoy back to Suffolk which was a real blast and must have brightened up a fair few journeys for some people due to all the waves and thumbs up we got, I even had someone ask if mine was for sale on the M6!

In the end i done 686 miles in 3 days and around £95 in fuel which works out at about 36 mpg which is amazing for a 41 year old car i think, that T9 was well worth the work and best of all was that the car gave no trouble at all, other than the exhaust moving and hitting the body and a few exhaust gases!

2ymhr4g.jpg

28aufc7.jpg

Edited by dockertrigger