Sign in to follow this  
chris1800

type 9 prop shaft

hi

i am about to start fitting a type 9 to my mk5 cortina that is fitted with a 1.6 pinto have everthing apart from the prop can anyone help or have any advice the prop i have is a standard 1.6 prop.

cheers chris

hi

i am about to start fitting a type 9 to my mk5 cortina that is fitted with a 1.6 pinto have everthing apart from the prop can anyone help or have any advice the prop i have is a standard 1.6 prop.

cheers chris

I *think* the output shaft of the type 9 came in two different sizes - it is larger on the 2.0l. I have a two-piece prop from 2.0 for sale. PM me if you find you need one.

I *think* the output shaft of the type 9 came in two different sizes - it is larger on the 2.0l. I have a two-piece prop from 2.0 for sale. PM me if you find you need one.

the type 9 out put shafts are the same size 1.6 and 2.0 but cortinas are diffrent the 2.0 is bigger you need a prop from a manuel 20/2.3 cortina or from any late mk3 auto or any autp mk4/mk5 :superman:

the type 9 out put shafts are the same size 1.6 and 2.0 but cortinas are diffrent the 2.0 is bigger you need a prop from a manuel 20/2.3 cortina or from any late mk3 auto or any autp mk4/mk5 :superman:

I have the front half of a standard 2 litre prop with a doughnut yoke. Where abouts are you?

I have the front half of a standard 2 litre prop with a doughnut yoke. Where abouts are you?

hi

i am in norhtern ireland if you would be able to get us a price including postage to bt42 3hz that would be great is the front part of the 1.6 prop with the rubber donut in it interchangable to the 2.0 front prop.

cheers chris

hi

i am in norhtern ireland if you would be able to get us a price including postage to bt42 3hz that would be great is the front part of the 1.6 prop with the rubber donut in it interchangable to the 2.0 front prop.

cheers chris

Can you post a photo of the front of your axle? Does your doughnut have 3 or 6 bolts?

Can you post a photo of the front of your axle? Does your doughnut have 3 or 6 bolts?

hi

the axle is the standard 1.6 axle not an atlas the donute from memory had 6 bolts in it 3 holding the donute to the prop and the other 3 holding the donute to the spline part that slides into the gearbox hope this is of help :thumbup:

cheers chris

hi

the axle is the standard 1.6 axle not an atlas the donute from memory had 6 bolts in it 3 holding the donute to the prop and the other 3 holding the donute to the spline part that slides into the gearbox hope this is of help :thumbup:

cheers chris

Ok then you have two choices. The axle doesn't make a difference the diff flanges on the Koln and Atlas are the same (at least I've never seen one any different) it's the gearbox output staft that's different on the 1.6 vs the 2 litre and type 9 (the latter 2 are the same). A good number of people have found that the standard doughnut prop from a 2 litre will be OK with a type 9, some have found the doughnut bolts foul on the type 9 as it's a bit longer than a 4 speed box. So your choices are:

1. Probably the cheapest way to do this, you can remove the 1.6 flange and replace with the 2 litre one. Assume you know about needing to put a strap/jubilee clips around the doughnut to stop it expanding when you remove the 1.6 flange. Good chance this will work OK.

2. If you want to be absolutely certain of success you need to get hold of a Capri/Cortina auto prop with the UJ front rather than the doughnut version but this will cost a lot more with a front like this: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA-MK-3-4-5-1-6-2-3-PROP-SHAFT-MANUAL-/300710780708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4603c25f24

If you want to go down route 1, I have a flange I can part with. pm me your number and I'll give you a call over the weekend to arrange if you'd like

Ok then you have two choices. The axle doesn't make a difference the diff flanges on the Koln and Atlas are the same (at least I've never seen one any different) it's the gearbox output staft that's different on the 1.6 vs the 2 litre and type 9 (the latter 2 are the same). A good number of people have found that the standard doughnut prop from a 2 litre will be OK with a type 9, some have found the doughnut bolts foul on the type 9 as it's a bit longer than a 4 speed box. So your choices are:

1. Probably the cheapest way to do this, you can remove the 1.6 flange and replace with the 2 litre one. Assume you know about needing to put a strap/jubilee clips around the doughnut to stop it expanding when you remove the 1.6 flange. Good chance this will work OK.

2. If you want to be absolutely certain of success you need to get hold of a Capri/Cortina auto prop with the UJ front rather than the doughnut version but this will cost a lot more with a front like this: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA-MK-3-4-5-1-6-2-3-PROP-SHAFT-MANUAL-/300710780708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4603c25f24

If you want to go down route 1, I have a flange I can part with. pm me your number and I'll give you a call over the weekend to arrange if you'd like

pm sent :thumbup:

pm sent :thumbup:

OK just found my spare yoke:

post-2272-031345700 1338834999_thumb.jpg

OK just found my spare yoke:

OK per your pm, here's a photo fitted to a spare type 9 box I have:

post-2272-071796900 1338883405_thumb.jpg