John Mack

My Mk5 2.0 Ghia in white.

2 hours ago, John Mack said:

Whipped the wheels off today and pulled the pads out to give them their yearly check/lube.   Calliper pistons moving fine as well, I changed the fluid last year so today I just gave it a few pumps at each corner in case there was any air at the callipers .

ARB link rubbers are perished/split so I'll need to sort this...….poly or not to poly that is the question?  Opinions/experience/thoughts welcome.

DSC_2037.JPG

I did mine last year and decided on rubber in the end. I think polys might be better but I thought I'd have to do the whole car and I didn't fancy it to be honest, with too many stories of certain ones not fitting, etc. Maybe some other time.

DSC_1714.JPG

It's rubber all the way for me.  If polyurethane bushes are better then why are they not fitted as standard on new vehicles?

• Like 1

Cost.

As long as you fit pairs you don't have to do the whole car.

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

9 hours ago, Paul B said:

I did mine last year and decided on rubber in the end. I think polys might be better but I thought I'd have to do the whole car and I didn't fancy it to be honest, with too many stories of certain ones not fitting, etc. Maybe some other time.

I've done a few bushes at the rear, not all of them, I'm leaning towards the poly type for this just because I can fit and forget really …….. cost seems ok?

Today I took off the Radyot spot lights and fitted these Ford ones.  The way the brackets are on the Radyot ones meant they sat quite high in relation to the headlights which I didn't like too much.

The Ford ones sit lower......have had these for a while and one has a crack but thought I'd stick them on.    I did try mounting the radyot lens in the Ford casing but it didn't quite fit.

DSC_2058.JPG

DSC_2057.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look like later 80"s one might have one of those, trouble is got a feeling it's at lock up.pm me a reminder post apocalypse.

Will have a shufty here in case.

17 minutes ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Look like later 80"s one might have one of those, trouble is got a feeling it's at lock up.pm me a reminder post apocalypse.

Will have a shufty here in case.

Thanks that'd be great. 

Changed the spare last week, it a Yokohama tyre on it which wouldn't hold air and had cracks in the tread......no date marker on the sidewall?

I have 4 nearly new Strada tyres in garage so put one of these on as spare, date stamp is 2001 but they've been stored in the dark and after a check over look to be usable....so on it went.

DSC_2078.JPG

Edited by John Mack
  • Like 1

Tread pattern looks like the old Goodyear Grand Pris S  ????…...reminds me of it anyway.

DSC_2079.JPG

There's plenty of people that winge about date codes on tyres, but if they have been stored in good conditions, should be ok, my BIL owns a tyre company and had some stock on record as at least 30 years old, he makes the customer aware of the estimated date of manufacture, then it is up to them.

I have only had one bad pair of old stock tyres, they did about 3000 miles and were knackered, long winded way if saying, should be good!!!

I did have some American tyres on my 2000E, they really were ditch finders, got to a nice bend and it was raining,  3 X 360s at about 70mph, never hit a thing, bit of a brown underwear moment!!

• Like 2

I've not got a problem with it, it'll live in the boot !...…..and maybe on the car too?!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, GhiaMk4/5 said:

There's plenty of people that winge about date codes on tyres, but if they have been stored in good conditions, should be ok, my BIL owns a tyre company and had some stock on record as at least 30 years old, he makes the customer aware of the estimated date of manufacture, then it is up to them.

I have only had one bad pair of old stock tyres, they did about 3000 miles and were knackered, long winded way if saying, should be good!!!

I did have some American tyres on my 2000E, they really were ditch finders, got to a nice bend and it was raining,  3 X 360s at about 70mph, never hit a thing, bit of a brown underwear moment!!

A proper 'Code Brown' situation!  😀 

Must get some new wellies on mine very soon. I've been deliberating over which to get for too long now.

Out today, just local for a walk with the hounds.   Took a few pics...…..

DSC_2094.JPG

DSC_2100.JPG

DSC_2089.JPG

• Like 1