Danish

Mk3 Endurance Rally project

I contacted my local college today. They do a part time City & Guilds / BTEC level 3 in Mechanical Engineering which is in three parts - manual turning, manual milling and CNC machining. Sounds perfect! I shall probably run a book on how often I am mistaken for the mother of someone on the course.

In other news I actually did some work on the 'tina!

Well, Derek did most of it. The bonnet is going for dipping very soon, and that will remove the glue which holds the two parts of the bonnet together, so the two parts were welded together first:

The bonnet is covered in a thin layer of a Schutz type material. I managed to get it off with Brillo pads, washing-up liquid and boiling water. Awful job, I just did the minimum for the welding.

oct_24%20-%201.jpg

The top side needs taking back with a flap wheel. I'll do that myself after the dipping.

oct_24%20-%202.jpg

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the car that bonnet originally came from had been given the Ziebart treatment, hence the black stuff. :juggle:

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the car that bonnet originally came from had been given the Ziebart treatment, hence the black stuff. :juggle:

It's possible. It is a thin layer, a smooth surface like matt black paint, but when scraped it comes off like bitumen.

Thinking about the bonnet scoop and new decals today.

Blue tape shows roughly where the scoop would be. Initially I was going to duct the air through a 75mm tube, but it's proving complicated, so I'm thinking just to cut a large hole and position the charge cooler inside the scoop and use the air flow for cooling.

oct_26%20-%201.jpg

Working out the final position. Interestingly, Mark's Mk3 PFL bonnet has a sharp ridge down the centre. This late Facelift one doesn't - just smooth down the centre.

oct_26%20-%203.jpg

I had thought to cut the scoop and widen it, but I like how the taper on the scoop is parallel to the tape on the bonnet profile, so it stays as it is:

oct_26%20-%204.jpg

SWMBO was persuaded up a ladder to get a bird's eye view:

oct_26%20-%202.jpg

Some ideas of how Kodak decals could be made to work on the new bonnet - I can't keep the current design as the scoop will get in the way.

Inspired from the 'K' logo:

oct_26%20-%205.jpg

Simplified version of same:

oct_26%20-%206.jpg

Something closer to the existing bonnet design:

oct_26%20-%207.jpg

• Upvote 1

Reading through thread with interest, it amazes me the amount of things you do and your approach to things. I only wish I had some of your talents and determination to solve the problems you've had. Top marks

Reading through thread with interest, it amazes me the amount of things you do and your approach to things. I only wish I had some of your talents and determination to solve the problems you've had. Top marks

:cheers:

The Kodachrome one has my vote. :thumbup:

Last one for me, but with something at ether side ??? :headscratch:

Kodachrome as in the original picture looks best to me.

• Upvote 1

Kodachrome as in the original picture looks best to me too.

• Upvote 1

Last one

• Upvote 1

I like the Kodachrome one. You thinking of mounting the intercooler like an Impreza then? I'd considered that but thought the clearance might not be too good. I have a cosworth intercooler that I think will go infront of the rad.

Big K kodachrome one for me.

Could you put a couple of diagonals across it in black or red using a film pattern.

film.png

Edited by markymarkthree
  • Upvote 1

Got to be the Kodachrome one Jayne,but like others have said,maybe something on the sides.