Sign in to follow this  
cortina-city

its go go go

Good luck to all. Safe motoring and don't forget... PHOTOS! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh dear, just had a call from G.O - 3 Mk2's have problems - Clutch kit needed for a Lotus, brake master cylinder problems on Graham's car and another is having a prop change.

Oh dear, just had a call from G.O - 3 Mk2's have problems - Clutch kit needed for a Lotus, brake master cylinder problems on Graham's car and another is having a prop change.

Thanks H, yes a few troubles all ready. MkII spares man Rod just happened to have a prop shaft in his boot, so that's been fitted rather than mess around with changing a UJ. My servo has swallowed its non return valve so for now have just blocked the vacuum pipe off, and local MkIIOC members rallied around last night and found a SH clutch cover and a new release bearing for the lotus. What's more, if thing went to plan, they also found keys to a workshop and got the car in to get the gearbox out straight away!! If things have gone to plan Mike will make the ferry as planned.

In the meantime though Phil Lewis has had the RAC out who confirmed a duff alternator and very late last night the final member of our group arrived without their MkII Cortina. I don't know the problem there yet, but he'd done the all nighter the day before and most of the day yesterday too.

Great start eh? Here's hoping that's all the car worries out the way thought and it's all nice easy driving from now on..........

Off to the ferry shortly, we'll keep you posted.

BTW what a fantastic afternoon we had at Dagenham yesterday. The BBC sent along Alexy Sayle and a film crew, Jon Hill covering the event for Cassic Ford, and right at the last minute AutoExpress asked to come along too. Special guest Harry Calton told us all about the start of the Cortinas life, and Ford gave us a free run of the workshop with access all areas in there and to all the cars. It was no problem to have a sit in anything!!!

Hi guys, as I'm setting off from Hull on Tuesday to get to Cortina Thursday & meet up Friday - if anybody needs any parts that I can get & fetch over let me know,

Daz.

Hello from Reims!!!

Well the weather has been great but I wish i could say the same for that old estate of mine. About 20 miles short of Reims we went to stop for and on the approach I suddenly got a load banging noise from somewhere on the drive train. A check over of things showed the front UJ rattling around. We set to for getting it changed, not an easy job without proper tools (and many many thanks to the coach driver who held up his tour while we used his large grips to push the new caps on) and after nearly 1 1/2 hours we were ready to go. We didn't get beyond the slip road back onto the motorway before I could tell I was still in trouble. A further closer check revealed the new wheel bearing fitting last week had settled and worked loose, the banging being the wheel wobbling all over. Eventual arrival on Reims was getting on towards 3 hours later than planned :(

Many thanks to everyone who helped get me going again. I haven't managed to catch up with everyone tonight but I believe I'm the only one to have had problems today. I'm hoping mike has got his lotus clutch sorted and is on his way to catching us up too.

Here's looking forwards to a trouble free ride to Dijon tomorrow

Hi guys, as I'm setting off from Hull on Tuesday to get to Cortina Thursday & meet up Friday - if anybody needs any parts that I can get & fetch over let me know,

Daz.

Thanks Daz, we'll keep that in mind :)

Hello from Dijon!!!

A much better day today with regards to breakdowns, a MkII with a sticky gear change turned out to be a bit short of gearbox oil and a MkV with ignition problems that was eventually solved by changing various electrics on thelow tension side. Not so good on the speed camera side though with at least 3 left wondering if they've been zapped :(

Just been into the town centre where there issome big festival going on and as the new team system has opened this weekend it's all free! Heading to the hotel bar now and then back into town for food. Into Switzerland tomorrow to lake geneva and montreux

Edited by G.O

Oh yeah, we called mike today to see how things are with his MkII Lotus. unfortunately the buys we thought we'd tracked down haven't got him going again. Last we heard he was trying to decide between going home today or trying to get bits when the shops open tomorrow and try and catch. Here's hoping he does

can t believe you already had so many troubles, but as said it will be some memories as well.

will watch this topic as with interest and if there is anything i can do from over here please let me know!

hope you have a more trouble free journey from now on - GOOD LUCK! :cheers:

Text just in - MkII Lotus on it's way :D

Thanks hans :thumbup:

Got down to breakfast this morning to find that mike had arrived at Dijon at 4am! So pleased they got the lotus back togethere and they'd caught up with us.

We've had reasonable day reliability wise wth the only reported problem being the fuse box in the XR6 causing everything to shut down at the Swiss border. Been on some fantastic roads today with some great views, Montreux seems to be a wonderful place and we're all very disappointed to be here only the one night. Into Italy to Varese tomorrow