mrmikes

Electric Power steering

I'm just about to add power steering to my Mk5. It has a 2.3 I4 DOHC engine and needs something to help it at low speed. I'll endeavour to post some pics.

Cheers,

Malcolm

On 11/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, JagMate said:

I'm just about to add power steering to my Mk5. It has a 2.3 I4 DOHC engine and needs something to help it at low speed. I'll endeavour to post some pics.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Good morning and welcome Malcom  :thumbsup:

I will also be taking the plunge in the near future and fitting electric PAS to my MK3 .

It would be great if you could share as much information as possible on the installation. If I have moved on to my fit I would also share what I have found to be issues and problems  

TiBBs

Won't this be quite a complicated mod to do in terms of setting up speed/wheel sensors etc?
Most EPS uses a road speed signal to increase the assist at slow speeds and trim it back as speed increases.  Having full power assistance on, even at 60+ mph, would be an "interesting" drive.

Edited by RichardJ

5 hours ago, RichardJ said:

Won't this be quite a complicated mod to do in terms of setting up speed/wheel sensors etc?
Most EPS uses a road speed signal to increase the assist at slow speeds and trim it back as speed increases.  Having full power assistance on, even at 60+ mph, would be an "interesting" drive.

Hello Rich

You use one of these :thumbsup:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332074646991?hash=item4d5130fdcf:g:O60AAOSwxp9W6nQs&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8HIt%2Fu6QNAUIShNTIegiVNyNPU0Q4DdBj9oHSc1iSSn33r1%2FnOB9g5DxZn93sbbTFF57lloOYho7fEjeGNalc%2FDlOXfEQysBELES5CW%2BwBwhVLuBxRDHbmAe5QXb122x%2B1vhV8FEudlYsDW6htusPbWyvIOlU6G%2FA3gzT%2FMcHdK8sBiQJDPvkDLCl%2BkeLjAd5znOXPRcSxG9RcqFkZ7n%2Br9jXScq13j3CwJkkOxvj9o3Bob6p4q72m7ZjAWecVOStbfYRBuuETDyO82MEcMGX0omV1qPBxFLhlXOehHxGjIK5pXxqCAaVARYl8U4C2Iyeg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4D29cv_Yg

image.thumb.jpeg.82e425780b34632c9948da306b914ef3.jpeg

Edited by TIB3300
  • Like 1

Easysteer make a part exchange kit for Mk 345, around £500 ish, 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, deltamal said:

Easysteer make a part exchange kit for Mk 345, around £500 ish, 

I contacted them yesterday, they said that Pre facelift MK3s are a bit trickier but can be done, No issues doing later MK3s /MK4s and MK5s.

https://easysteer.co.uk/

Edited by Lobby

Yes very little room on prefacelift.

3 hours ago, Lobby said:

I contacted them yesterday, they said that Pre facelift MK3s are a bit trickier but can be done, No issues doing later MK3s /MK4s and MK5s.

https://easysteer.co.uk/

Well it doesn't look like I will have time this winter to start/ do mine , as am still on the exhaust :rolleyes:

Iv'e not had mine done as yet, I devoloped a trapped sciatic nerve at the start of December, operation on my spine to release it 3 weeks ago and now getting back to normal (as it get's!) I plan to sort it in a month or so :thumbsup:

You lucky bugger, did mine 28 years ago & they want operate.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery deltamal..................

Looking forward to seeing some 2024 out and about photos of your mk3 which I always admire.  :thumbsup: