Sign in to follow this  
atlanticblue

which engine oil?

Hi there, I've been trying to choose a decent 20w50 mineral engine oil for my MK5 1.6, i usually use comma classic but have found another called comma sonic which is supposed to be better. have also looked at penrite, morris golden film and a load of others which i've forgotten. just wondered what other people used and if they had any recommendations? i want to stick with 20w50 though :thumbup:

I used Morris 20W/50 in my 2.8 V6 last time I changed it. I feared the 20/50 might be a bit thick but it runs fine, no problems starting from cold other than the battery is a bit tired.

It needs changing again and I'll probably go for the Morris stuff again. Like you, I want to stick with 20/50. There's not much choice left now for the old oil is there ?

I did think about using the Halfords Classic stuff they do in a metal can but I've found a place that sells the Morris 20w/50 now.

Should have added...I used to use Motorcraft 20/50 in my old Mk4 with a 2.0 Pinto with no problems :thumbup:

Edited by mk4savage

Don't want to disrupt your search but I'm interested in the topic. What's your reason to stay with 20w50? It's a long time since that was state of the art - it was gone before the demise of pinto engined Sierras.

well i suppose i want to stick with it because it seems like a modern 10/40 would be a bit thin and would it have additives in it that weren't suitable or necessary for an older engine? like you say though, the last pintos were probably running on later oils. I don't know that much about the subject though so it seemed safer to go with the best oil i could find that the engine was originally designed for.

I used Morris 20W/50 in my 2.8 V6 last time I changed it. I feared the 20/50 might be a bit thick but it runs fine, no problems starting from cold other than the battery is a bit tired.

It needs changing again and I'll probably go for the Morris stuff again. Like you, I want to stick with 20/50. There's not much choice left now for the old oil is there ?

I did think about using the Halfords Classic stuff they do in a metal can but I've found a place that sells the Morris 20w/50 now.

Should have added...I used to use Motorcraft 20/50 in my old Mk4 with a 2.0 Pinto with no problems :thumbup:

Thanks, I think the morris stuff is what I'll be getting :thumbup:

I used to use motorcraft oil too cos i worked in a ford garage years ago and every now and again a can of it would accidentally fall into my cortinas boot :lol:

I used to use motorcraft oil too cos i worked in a ford garage years ago and every now and again a can of it would accidentally fall into my cortinas boot :lol:

:rofl: I was sort of the same, Some years ago my dad ran a fleet of Transit's and some of the earlier vans were 2.0 Pinto engined ones and I used to get the odd gallon of oil off him. He used to buy it in bulk from a local motor factors that stocked Motorcraft parts.

I did use 10/40 mineral in my V6 briefly but, I thought it was too thin as the engine seemed to run hotter on warm days. It does seem much better with 20/50.

You could try a 15/50 if you struggle to get the 20 stuff :headscratch:

When i was running my Pinto, i tried loads of oils from cheap to expensive. I even installed an Oil Temp gauge to see whats going on.

The best oil for mine was Valvoline 20w/50. Not cheap but was worth it. eurocarparts sell it.

I second Bangar, Valvoline 20/50 in the Cortina and both my Triumphs. Can be got fairly cheaply over here if you look around. I don't believe in using cheap oils and change oil and filter annually even though my cars usually don't do more than 5000km a year.

Tony.

Edited by nang

I use the Halfords classic in mine, been good so far....

I can get the valvoline VR1 20w50 racing oil from work but is it okay to put in a normal car thats just going to be bimbled up the road and back instead of being driven hard? I assumed it was only suitable for racing engines but if it's ok for normal street use I'll get some of that then :thumbup:

I think you want Valvoline Classic. Has added tungsten suitable for older engines. There have been untold articles written on oils suitable for our cars.

Tony.

Valvoline 20w/50. Not cheap but was worth it. eurocarparts sell it.

Do they indeed, Might just get me some of that then. Cheers for that.

It was the Valvoline VR1 Racing Mineral 20W50 Engine Oil (5 Litre) £33 BUT use the Promo code Parts20 for a 20% discount. :winner:

I was only doing normal driving, never went on a track :thumbup:

Edited by Bangar

Valvoline VR1 20/50 can be found on ebay, 4 5 litre pots for around £100 with free delivery. By far the cheapest way I've found to buy it ;)