Downstairs Dave

Mk1 GT Resto/2 door conversion

Removed the N/S wing this evening, looks like its had a replacement headlamp ring fitted in the past.

A post panel is in pretty good shape only a couple of tiny holes at the top, not bad when you consider these realy suffer from the evil weevil.:rolleyes: null_zps8a9fa3b1.jpg?t=1383079598

null_zps20266a1d.jpg?t=1383079610

null_zpse241bd9f.jpg?t=1383079635

Strut top is a different matter though, I swear more damage was done years ago when repair panels seemed to be brazed in, then the rot realy got going.

I have a pair of Mk2 strut top cut outs so I will use the pan and reinforcing top sections. and for location I will make a pair of jigs that will use the steering box/idler arm mounting holes.

null_zps60e4a7c1.jpg?t=1383079713:thumbdown:

Edited by Downstairs Dave

Top quality work Dave great attention to detail that is going to be a cracking car when finished.. :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity what do you treat any rust/scabs with??

And for making the tooling for the repair panel :thumbup: :thumbup:

Welded on the bonnet prop bracket today......Many thanks 63tina :thumbup:

null_zpse443102e.jpg?t=1383262915

null_zps798f4c1d.jpg?t=1383331689

Shall be doing a bit more tomorrow :rolleyes:

Top quality work Dave great attention to detail that is going to be a cracking car when finished.. :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity what do you treat any rust/scabs with??

And for making the tooling for the repair panel :thumbup: :thumbup:

I use a strip and clean wheel and a hand held sand blaster.

Many thanks for your kind remarks Ford1975 :thumbup:

Very pleased with the spring mounts and the front chassis leg to front panel, no rust at all, this is definitely due to the car being Ziebart rust proofed when new. if this was done to all the cars would there be more Mk1s left? who knows.

The Mk2 Super estate we had was also undersealed from new and is probably still ( havnt seen or heard about it for a few months ) just as good as yours underneath - it was definately money well spent for both of them :winner:

The Mk2 Super estate we had was also undersealed from new and is probably still ( havnt seen or heard about it for a few months ) just as good as yours underneath - it was definately money well spent for both of them :winner:

That brings back memories as I had a Fern green Mk2 Super Esate, cost me £250 back in 1979, will see if I can find some photos and check to see if it still exists (doubt it):rolleyes:

Thought I would offer up the Mazda Diff as the car is upside down..

null_zps932a1730.jpg?t=1383423890

null_zps231c126e.jpg?t=1383423984

null_zps932a1730.jpg?t=1383423890

null_zpsc8eeb74e.jpg?t=1383423935

Have also been busy designing the subframe for the rear suspension, nearly there.

null_zps7e39027b.jpg?t=1383423871

How about this for a result, my best mate is an aircraft engineer and these are out of a Boing 777, so rose joints are now sorted for the rear A arms.

null_zps2c77a2e4.jpg?t=1383423963

o/s front wing now removed, have now decided to replace the front lower valance and the two panels below the headlamps as they are full of holes, they looked good before I knocked the filler out :angry2:

What a nice work. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.

Spent a couple of hours on the car tonight, repaired the bottom of the A panel and end of the sill..null_zps8ce4ba42.jpg?t=1383856702

null_zps0603d0ed.jpg?t=1383856681

null_zpsa880ff2f.jpg?t=1383856720

null_zps19d1e2b1.jpg?t=1383856807

null_zpse31330c8.jpg?t=1383856754

Real tidy workmanship Dave first class job, NO hidden that'll do bits on that car :thumbup: :thumbup:

passenger side jacking point welded in and also repaired part of the floor and inner sill. Slowly getting there, not that exciting at the moment but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

null_zps3d4c0e07.jpg?t=1384080412

null_zps95a046ba.jpg?t=1384080421

null_zpsa763b715.jpg?t=1384080441

its looking real clean and solid, metal looks better than on the mk3s, wonder if its a little thicker, that chassis looks good and i like those boing 777 rose joints!

Welded on the bonnet prop bracket today......Many thanks 63tina :thumbup:

null_zpse443102e.jpg?t=1383262915

null_zps798f4c1d.jpg?t=1383331689

Shall be doing a bit more tomorrow :rolleyes:

Great fabrication, and metal work Dave, and as for the bonnet prop bracket. no problem mate

Dave - regarding the radius bottoms on the front jacking points -

I'd imagine these will be squashed all out of shape the first time you use them to jack the car up. Who supplied your ones? I used the ones from the MK1 owners club and they were the correct shape and made from very thick metal.

I think you should change the ones you have before its too late !!!

Great project. Keep up the good work.

I was thinking they look really thin,Perhaps reinforce the jacking strip?