Downstairs Dave

Mk1 GT Resto/2 door conversion

Can I suggest moving the fly press as it will be in the way of the Wheel when you form long pieces from left to right through the wheel?

Lucky man all those nice tools, but you have the talent and skill to make the most of them.

Can I suggest moving the fly press as it will be in the way of the Wheel when you form long pieces from left to right through the wheel?

Lucky man all those nice tools, but you have the talent and skill to make the most of them.

Yep, thought of that, so I made some special extended legs and these will have castors mounted, so I can move into the middle of the workshop.. :rolleyes:

Some very nice kit there. I thought I was well set up with one small Chinese bead roller!

Is the blue machine with the rollers an "English wheel" ?

Yes it is, bought it off eBay, £450, very good value for money.. :rolleyes:

Sorry for hijacking your thread with all the kid talk Dave.Glad to see you are back at it.Cant wait to see what you do with all these new tools.

Don't get much of a chance to work on the Cortina at home so have decided to do a few bits and pieces at work.

Put the first aluminium door skin on today, repaired one corner of the frame and then fitted the skin, not bad for a mornings work. :rolleyes:

08C6E8DC-25ED-46E1-9293-C0DCF80DA31C_zpsnihwnp8s.jpg

BB13E6A9-5D1F-4DEC-80CD-1E557625CDE2_zpsakf5kefn.jpg

49A7E6B8-C8FC-44E8-8B38-65CCAEB45979_zpsxlr7mz7i.jpg

446E6644-08EB-4329-B361-DF99E1F92067_zpseclzrdpk.jpg

Fitted a bit easier than I thought it would, last job to do is TIG weld the corners to stop cracks forming.. :rolleyes:

Hopefully both doors will be finished next week...

Very nice work. A job I have on the lotus I have .how hard was it Dave? You make it look simple :D

Very nice work. A job I have on the lotus I have .how hard was it Dave? You make it look simple :D

Pretty simple as door skins go, but then I have fitted probably a thousand door skins in my working life.. the aluminium is nice and soft, that makes it easier :rolleyes:

:thumbup

ive done a few mild steel one . Never ali

Great work as usual Dave

Will you be sealing/waxoiling the seam for want of a better word before the paint goes one while you can get at it as aluminum never likes being forced together with steal?

Will you be sealing/waxoiling the seam for want of a better word before the paint goes one while you can get at it as aluminum never likes being forced together with steal?

This is true, put some lemon juice on the seam and you'd have a 1.2v battery :clown:

This is true, put some lemon juice on the seam and you'd have a 1.2v battery :clown:

I put a good few coats of Epoxy primer on the frame, it tends to be very hard, then once I'm happy with the fit then all the seams will be sealed with 2 pack sealer. Same system they use to bond rear wings on the Aston Martins to the roof panel.

When I used to restore DB4s and DB5 Aston back in the eighties, we used to use a hessian tape to insulate the steel from the aluminium, as per original manufacture spec, but over time this used to rot away and then the electrolysis came into play and turned the aluminium into powder. Everything goes back to how it started out. :rolleyes:

When I used to restore DB4s and DB5 Aston back in the eighties,

Name Dropper.

The Epoxy primmer as you say should give a nice hard barrier edge for the skin to rest on and when it has the two pack (proper paint) on it should do the job.

Nice.

A little update..

Been doing a few bits in my lunch breaks.

This is a nice conversion, Mazda Mx5 wiper motor mounted to the Cortina pantograph. Nice thing about the Mazda unit is the size and the fact it has intermittent function. :rolleyes:

0B40C836-35BF-42C2-8896-79D07676D915_zpstlaigvij.jpg

C2180B11-43AC-439E-9C45-4223A0E18281_zpsrdv2bel6.jpg

4D195B7A-E0B7-49F5-B472-4F4BAC706BB9_zpscbykryci.jpg

The pedal; box is also now restored, I have made a decision and have decided to keep the build simple due to lack of time.

Everyone said having a kid will keep you busy, they weren't wrong :unsure:

53AD3125-01D0-45DE-BEC4-C065BB1B6172_zpswqsami0v.jpg

72137CDC-5D93-4CD3-BF5B-DB90AD5549B2_zpscwmib7ou.jpg

43468439-3BF6-44C7-9F40-D2EBEE70B4B4_zpsve9wzxvh.jpg

I'm now working on the rear suspension sub frame and wishbones as I will still be using the Mazda diff and gearbox, but instead of the Mazda engine a Zetec will be connected to the gearbox (So impressed with engine in the Anglia)

More pictures during the week.

Edited by Downstairs Dave

Always look forward to your updates Mr Downstairs, great as always.

This is a nice conversion, Mazda Mx5 wiper motor mounted to the Cortina pantograph. Nice thing about the Mazda unit is the size and the fact it has intermittent function. :rolleyes:

Some nice work there. So the Mazda motor has it's own intermittent circuit built in? That's worth knowing, I spent two days letting bits of a Mk5 loom into my Mk3 one. :(