Downstairs Dave

Mk1 GT Resto/2 door conversion

So under the black paint, there is aluminium, looks very smart, :thumbup:

It was actually black anodize, very hard...

Even the wife was even impressed with it and that's saying something, maybe because its the only thing on the car she recognised. :rolleyes:

Quality work Dave :thumbup: Nice progress.

Finished off the tunnel today, next job is to make a flange for the gear lever gaiter.. :rolleyes:

BC35D86A-D2B1-4EA3-B3F7-5CC8DF5C19E5_zpsjxv38f2i.jpg

All going according to plan, last week of March Chevy Truck will be going into the garage as I have to make a bigger fuel tank for it as the current one only does 100 miles from full. also have to put a brake bias valve in the system.

So the Cortina will have to go in the Carcoon..

Finished painting all the odd bits, its nice to get these done as there's nothing worse than having to do them when the rest of the car is painted :rolleyes:

Think they came out well....

photo1_zpsd68f38c1.jpg

photo2_zps1b8d09b8.jpg

photo41_zps26651299.jpg

Tommorows jobs include fitting the brake pedals and mounting the ABS pump. :thumbup:

Great stuff ! :winner: :winner: :winner:

Its always a good feeling when you get some stuff in paint - looks the dogs.

As you may know I've decided to use the complete braking system from the MX5, the donor car came with ABS and as I want to track day the car I thought it would be a good idea to put the ABS on the car aswell (is there any Mk1s out there with ABS?).

The main problem with fitting the Mazda Master cylinder and servo is the size, it won't physically fit in the standard position. Then having had to work on my civilian vehicle (Citroen C5) I noticed that the master cylinder is on the other side, basically it has a tube running along the bulkhead to enable the these cars to be converted to right hand drive. surely I can use this design on my car.

So I have mounted the master cylinder/servo on the left hand side as there is plenty of room, and then I will copy the Citroen design, this will not be a problem as no heater will be fitted in the car. ;)

9B071F02-7D40-4EDB-8755-949C8E4CF4F4_zpsobu7sow4.jpg

I had to make a angled mounting plate so the reservoir became level..

359AA8E1-5F97-42D8-ABE2-832252140DF6_zpsuqwhirvt.jpg

7C5FF29A-A927-4916-992A-C037A7631134_zpsu2nmnoqo.jpg

Next job is to mount the ABS pump, I soon found that it was too bulky to fit under the bonnet, so I decided to fit it under the dash, as all the electrics from the MX5 are on the left side including both ECUs thought this would be the best location.

626ACDB7-0651-4588-9E39-98A10AC57B3E_zps4xurk207.jpg

The ABS ECU will fit under the pump and the engine ECU under that.

The next job was to work out the throttle linkage, this was very easy as the Mazda set up is very similar to the Cortina, so it was a case of removing the ball end on the Cortina and welding the Mazda link and lining it up with the choke cable hole.

20E496C1-C942-44AF-A8B4-36903409CEB3_zpsi1wfj925.jpg

I was going to adapt the Mazda Clutch master cylinder, but after investigation I found that the Cortina master cylinder had the same size bore and it fits with no interference with the engine, nice and simple.

997AEFF4-F1AF-4DBC-9F7C-EE5CAB96EE7B_zpstal3xr5b.jpg

Next job is to make the tube to connect the pedal to the servo using 25mm tubing and some arms to connect. :)

Edited by Downstairs Dave

Hi Dave

If i remember right mk1 and mk2 Fiesta's had this bar set up for the servo to.. Doing a great job by the way, enjoying seeing it come togeather..:thumbup:

Edited by Captin Crayford

Hi Dave

If i remember right mk1 and mk2 Fiesta's had this bar set up for the servo to.. Doing a great job by the way, enjoying seeing it come togeather..:thumbup:

Thanks for the info Captin Crayford, gonna trawl eBay as it might be easier to modify a Fiesta unit, and it will be Ford :thumbup:

Thanks for the picture and info guys..

Have just bought a set up off eBay for £12 inc postage :rolleyes:

Fitted the new front crossmember to check on sump clearance, fits perfect...:rolleyes:

381605E2-DD25-4BFD-A6FF-14B08AD3390F_zpsz39tjchs.jpg

52B9448B-E0B6-4E99-BF37-DFCFA5837128_zps7k2fzndl.jpg

B4E2ECC0-E5FB-4513-B0D6-BA30792DDE67_zpsmkq7h0er.jpg

Also started making the rear subframe. I am using 25mm CDS tubing, the wishbone brackets are from the Locost kit car,

Managed to borrow a milling machine so I could sink the brackets 10mm into the tubing for max strength.

DB14C21A-F24B-42F4-9F0D-85404C3FAF6B_zpsjwvhuset.jpg

9FFBC464-6965-4319-AB58-5604947663BC_zps45yydhj2.jpg

A303174F-E099-4A85-9A4C-92C8CBADD999_zpszdnpup4d.jpg

Building the subframe is not easy, lots of head scratching. :unsure: