Downstairs Dave

Mk1 GT Resto/2 door conversion

Not driven it proper Pete, but up the drive a little bit just to check the clutch works, all fine...

• Upvote 1

Well here's an update, given up on the electric handbrake, to be honest its been a pain in the ., so decided to go the old fashioned way.

Modified a MGB lever and mounted it on the tunnel, works well. Looks a bit ugly where it mounts to the tunnel, but I will put a leather gaiter with a nice chrome mounting ring to match the gear-lever gaiter.

Also designed a way to roughly set up the geometry on the rear suspension as its fully adjustable, this will be done properly on a four wheel alignment later on, but its good enough to get me to its MOT. Made a couple of brackets that bolt to the wheels and then I measured 6" from the front and rear sills outward and scribed a line along the floor, then using a pair of cheap laser levels I can see the rear tracking and make it line up with the car, works well, I can also set the camber too. Bearing in mind I set it up initially by eye I wasn't that far out, in fact the nearside was spot on.

Next Saturday is MOT time, was going to do it today but just as well considering the weather.

Still waiting for the tunnel cover to come back from the trimmers, I should have been a trimmer, they all seem to be busy...

post-11976-0-89494700-1521323114_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-21489200-1521323132_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-07008900-1521323150_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-40888200-1521323238_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's genius Dave. I bet your wheel alignment is bang on!

Good Luck with the MOT Dave great work. :thumbup:

MOT on the Cortina didn't go well, I made some temporary driveshaft's as they had to be narrowed due to the MX5 having a wider track. Thought they would be strong enough to do the MOT and shake down but "WRONG" blipped the throttle and bang they twisted like cork screws..

I can get some made but at a cost of £160 each plus VAT and a 3 to 4 week league time, ouch!! down to my last pennies now..

There must be a drive shaft out there that's 17" long with 22 splines both ends, but trying to find one is like trying to find a needle in a stack of driveshaft's..

Apart from that it seemed to go well until they gave out..

post-11976-0-66973700-1522098473_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-86920200-1522098487_thumb.jpg

Mk6 Fiesta ST near side drive shafts take the ends off and fit the ones you have in place worth a try.

Thanks Pete.....

For god sake get one from a breakers to try it first I have only taken an overall measurement it should be long enough once dismantled.

There's loads on eBay, just bought one for £18 fingers crossed...

Cheers Pete.

• Upvote 1

Great should work out ok as you only need the middle bit. :thumbup:

Superb

• Upvote 1

All this cash spent on perfection and you want to put scrappy drive shafts in ? .

Try Dave mac prop shafts bayton road Coventry

Edited by Csr

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Csr" data-cid="671326" data-time="1522158609"><p>

All this cash spent on perfection and you want to put scrappy drive shafts in ? .<br />

Try Dave mac prop shafts bayton road Coventry</p></blockquote>

So they won't be any good simply because they came from a scrapped car??

All this cash spent on perfection and you want to put scrappy drive shafts in ? .

Try Dave mac prop shafts bayton road Coventry

I'm sorry but you answered your own question with the first part of your question.