Downstairs Dave

Mk1 GT Resto/2 door conversion

Looks perfect and sounds amazing, great work Dave

Dave - any reason why the main hoop of the rollcage is towards the rear of the car. Isn't this normally just behind the front seats , I assume to offer max protection to the driver? Just curious.

Not sure, but I know it was a proper FIA roll cage until they changed the rules and stipulated that they had to be fully welded in...

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my dolly and roll over rotisserie, price is £50 each. PM me if you wold like them.

The dolly does unbolt so you can get it in a car with the seats down, also the rear mounts utilise the GT radius arms bracketry but it wouldn't be hard to make new mounts for a standard car.

MOT tomorrow as my friend was ill last week so should be able to tax it too.

Edited by Downstairs Dave
  • Upvote 1

Apparently you can tax without an mot these days.

Just learned that myself on here a few days ago!

Good luck with the Mot Dave :thumbup:

Car passed its MOT today, thanks Tim...

Sorry about the video, phone decided to stop recording for some reason, so spent a fair bit of time filming for nothing, swear these iPhones are designed to play up after a certain time so you buy a new one..

I have a couple of annoying rattles to sort out and I have to change the diff ratio from a 4.1:1 to the 3.6:1 as its too quick through the gears.. job for later.

https://youtu.be/Kol5YwBpfSA

Sorry about link... search Cortina GT MOT time...

post-11976-0-24423700-1525549595_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-07466600-1525549613_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-95971700-1525549632_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-60180800-1525549652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downstairs Dave
  • Upvote 1

No worries Dave. It was a pleasure to do it for you and have a passenger ride. I will look at work to see if we have any wavey washers on Tuesday to stop the rattling seat belt fixings.

Congrats Dave. What a great thread this has been. Thanks for starting this build thread. It's been a great read! 👍🏻

Car passed its MOT today, thanks Tim...

Sorry about the video, phone decided to stop recording for some reason, so spent a fair bit of time filming for nothing, swear these iPhones are designed to play up after a certain time so you buy a new one..

I have a couple of annoying rattles to sort out and I have to change the diff ratio from a 4.1:1 to the 3.6:1 as its too quick through the gears.. job for later.

https://youtu.be/Kol5YwBpfSA

Sorry about link... search Cortina GT MOT time...

New Link to Video

Well done!!!!Its been a long way coming,You should be one happy man!

• Upvote 1

Awesome job Dave , brilliant car :thumbup:

Tony

Just an update to show I'm still alive...

Changed the diff for the new 3.6:1 what a difference, nice and torquey through the gearbox now. Gearbox tunnel cover done as well, trouble is the leather is such good quality it shows up the seats now, will probably get them covered in the same leather. Job for the winter.

I'm finding it hard to go to any shows at the moment, my boy is at an age where he cant ride in the car and the wife is finding places to go at the weekends. Got myself a four day pass to go to the NSRA Supernats so not all is lost., and as Retro Ford are not far away I'm going to see Dave on the Thursday morning.

Changed my job again, restoration doesn't pay much so I'm working on new cars again, this time Hire cars, its very local and pays a lot more. and to be honest I prefer to keep restoration as a hobby. And as its a short journey to work I've bought another of my favourite classic cars, 1972 Hillman Imp, it was bog standard but they have to be lowered so put a set of steels with hubcaps and lowered Monte Carlo Springs, great little car and cheap to run.

Here are some pictures, will keep updating.

post-11976-0-16313400-1530713648_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-34093800-1530713662_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-20957900-1530713677_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-96793900-1530713690_thumb.jpg

post-11976-0-44697200-1530713702_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to say it Dave but you are right about the seats.

Very nice IMP what are the plans for it and will you be starting a thread on Retro Rides for it along with the other Six build threads already on there?

Nice update Dave. You would think restoration work would pay quite well considering the skill required.

Nice Imp.