Markthree

MK3 GT Restoration

mark......can you make them blink....like real eyes?...... :rolleyes:

mark......can you make them blink....like real eyes?...... :rolleyes:

That would be cool :lol:

Thought I would show a shot of them Un lit,

Started kitchen stuff now so car time is minimal but I've just have to put them on the inside of the lamps this weekend. :thumbup:

post-13940-075126500 1391122207_thumb.jpg

It's Odd, but as I Progress through this Restoration/rebuild thing

Some things have become reinforced as Key to my Objectives and dreams, and other things have become much more open to alternatives.

A full restoration to original was never really me. I wanted a Custom, but a subtle one: This I stand by.

I bought a car without an MOT which needed quite a bit doing. It had already drifted from a stock restoration in that it had A 5 speed and A lovely leather interior. It had different wheels and Steering wheel, Plus a 205 Block .

I figured that it was mine to do with as I liked. But as I thought more about it, I realised that if I do it right! "this car could outlive me!"

This kind of made me respect it more, and realise "I am only Custodian of this piece of history"

Yes I can leave my mark, but if I do a good job I will be judged well, if I do not, well my efforts and the car will simply fade out of automotive history and it will eventually just become used parts for another persons dreams.

I wanted a Coke Bottle Muscle car This I stand by but Does it really need the V8 I had planned? and now I know how much "Car" I would have to cut away to make it fit. Plus when I remember why I sold my, Firebird and Jag and any other car I have had that does 12MPG.

I realised that this was at odds with me keeping the car long term.

I have decided "while I still can!" I will resist my inner child because the grown up inside me would sell the V8 version soon after the first trip above 200 miles.

It is also a good time to Decide as the "Weldathon" that is due soon, will incorporate engine and cooling system related areas of the bodywork. So I am comfortable now I have finally decided to Stay Pinto.

So what else is their?

Well I did some soul searching and I realised my requirements were quite Humble.

First and upmost I have always wanted a custom that when I lift the bonnet its all shiny and well laid out.

Then I wanted plenty of Torque.

Then I wanted it to sound Meaty.

Then I want 30MPG around town.

That's it.

Well Two exhausts may still be a remnant from my V8 plans but that's really it! :)

Sheffield cortina Craig Suggested a Super charger on my (Really quite good) 205 block and this has got me thinking.

I am also thinking 2.0L Efi off a late model but superchargers sound Sexy! And look good as well.

Trouble is I can buy (as can anyone) a decent whole late model car with a good Efi pinto for peanuts but I suspect a supercharger is going to cost real money?

How much (ball par)k would a supercharger set up cost on a 205 Block and I how would it compare to a 2.0 EfI Scorpio setup in terms of BHP and low down Torque?

I have loads of odd 5.75" headlights you both need to come and go through them

Cheers Dave.

Dismantled no 1 ( Hella high beam inner) managed to get it apart and promptly dropped it, Smash :smashcomp:

So that's one I need. Something tells me it may be more. I will be in touch :thumbup:

That would be cool :lol:

Thought I would show a shot of them Un lit,

Started kitchen stuff now so car time is minimal but I've just have to put them on the inside of the lamps this weekend. :thumbup:

post-13940-075126500 1391122207_thumb.jpg

As I say 1st one Broke after me simply dropping it just before I photographed it.. So a description will have to do for now!

Mine are Hella ones and not the same as Pete's which seem to have a ring around them. Mine are simply glued together and it damages the Bowl a bit when you try get something in as a lever.

Now I've got one apart I can now work out plan to do the others without incident! so no worries.

I guess they are around ten years old from the general condition so the reflectors are spot on.

So now I will have to source a matching Hella replacement or replace all four. Help Dave?

My main concern was that the Led ring would either not fit in or would obstruct the Beam. In reality it does fit in at exactly the edge of the bowl, so it is kind of out of the field of view of the beam. It is also slightly obscured by the Finishing chrome of the light unit which is a good thing as it will give more of a halo than a bright light. One last advantage of it sitting on the rim is that the headlight "when off" will appear dark. Yet again enhancing the Halo effect.

When they are reassembled the wire to the LED will run along he outside of the bowl and the Lens will be reattached using a heat proof sealant and can be switched as daytime driving lights. They will be virtually invisible when switched off or the main lights are on. Inc just side lights.

I am going to see if this broken one will yield any secrets on the Glue! Perhaps it can be dissolved with something. I know it heat proof but I bet a solvent bath would get them apart without resorting to brute force.

As I say 1st one Broke

So now I will have to source a matching Hella replacement or replace all four. Help Dave?

got a big box full of odd headlights come and search

Try putting the broken one in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15 mins to see if it softens the glue :thumbup:

Works on some headlights.

Try putting the broken one in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15 mins to see if it softens the glue :thumbup:

I will give it a try and Stick some Jacket Spuds on there at the same time :thumbup:

Would you Adam and Eve it! It Works :thumbup: Suggestion Appreciated thanks. And the Spuds tasted great :)

Pic to follow

Would you Adam and Eve it! It Works :thumbup: Suggestion Appreciated thanks. And the Spuds tasted great :)

Pic to follow

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Teamwork

Only a mock up at this stage but essentially this is what they will look like

post-13940-013790200 1391282473_thumb.jpg

Teamwork

Only a mock up at this stage but essentially this is what they will look like

post-13940-013790200 1391282473_thumb.jpg

And this is what is under the Glass

post-13940-023692000 1391282655_thumb.jpg

Look good Mark modern twist to an old unit, look like they fit nice :thumbup:

Look good Mark modern twist to an old unit, look like they fit nice :thumbup:

Its a custom at the end of the day, but most things I want to be subtle like this. They really are invisible when switched off.

I had I little time today to do some real work on the car today but Wow was it cold and windy, so I stayed in and played with the lights, between plumbing in the new washer and other household DIY stuff. Can't wait till spring.