LagoonBlue

Lagoonblue's MK2 1600 deluxe

Almost there..

WingBotEdge.thumb.jpg.b5ec32442f31b08e2ae6f0d14d0feff6.jpg

I had to make a new rear bottom corner from scratch. Next i will have to repair the rear edge as it's got a shallow dent on it (could be due to a failed door limiter) and sort out all the spot weld areas.

Today i remembered to check on the parts that i painted with two-pack-in-a-can some weeks ago. Seems ok to me, could hardly make a mark with a finger nail. I think i will paint all the ancillaries in the engine room with it. Expensive but very convenient to use.

I should be able to pick up the pace after next week when my vacation starts :thumbsup:

Great repairs as usual, what are you sealing your welds with on the inside?

Edited by GhiaMk4/5
Spelling correction

18 minutes ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Great repairs as usual, what are you sealing your welds with on the inside?

Thank you! :cheers:

Best practice would be to use lead but i'm rubbish with tinning.. That said, all the welds that can be reached from both sides are welded on both sides where necessary so there is nary a pinhole in sight. Plus i have made a habit of running over the welds with a fresh wire brush to knock off any "loosies" A quality 2 pack epoxy primer should suffice.

Box sections will be cavity waxed and all lap joints seam sealed as from factory.

In order to start work on fitting the wings on the chassis i needed to spin it around in the garage. Sounds simple enough but took a lot of mucking about since the place is currently packed full of stuff from floor to ceiling.

Winch.thumb.jpg.406bc1dec2b2536e4678a54508f206b0.jpg

Made this portable winch to help move the chassis as wheels under it roll rather poorly on the gravel and over the door jambs. It can be mounted to a tow hitch (there is a larger 50mm hole under the flap) but for this job i drilled couple holes with screws and plugs through an plank to the floor at back of the garage and looped a discarded timing belt between plank and the winch.

Those timing belts can handle quite a load, good for tinkering.

filler.thumb.jpg.ac5718059bd89172c6f1086939ed847c.jpg

Next step will be fitting the filler panels. Doors should be fairly well lined up so hopefully i do not need to touch them at this stage.

wing_first_try.thumb.jpg.81468a1d1af29fa4353a738f878bad91.jpg

After that the real work on installing the wings and ironing them smooth can begin. 

• Like 1

There's light at the end of the tunnel, great repairs and progress.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:17 AM, GhiaMk4/5 said:

There's light at the end of the tunnel, great repairs and progress.

Thank you! Let's hope it's not an oncoming train:biggrin:

On 7/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, consul315 said:

i second that, great work and always a joy to follow! 

Thanks! :cheers:

After offering up the LH wing it became apparent that the headlight bucket was ~10mm too far forward. Must have warped when i welded it ages ago.

adjusting.thumb.jpg.525085fcb3108e1240ffd91302bb2047.jpg

Not too big of a job to fix, after drilling out couple plug welds i gently pulled it back to it's correct position and welded it back on. This time with careful measurements before AND after. Timing belt came handy again for strapping the come along to A-pillar.

Wings_bare.thumb.jpg.89ac5a5428b2e831d90356ed7c0dc095.jpg 

After that i prepped the wings. More on later why i did it at this stage.

Paint was removed with poly strip wheel,  surface rust and pits sand blasted, same areas treated with phosphoric acid (dark blotches), everything roughed all over with coarse scotch-brite, cleaned with silicone remover and..

Wings_primed.thumb.jpg.c627d5bfef19853d4c163b6d46dc7c18.jpg

shot with 2 pack epoxy primer.

Note the fourth ceiling on my tent:dry:, this time around i invested on a proper PVC tarp with 5 year warranty. Back wall i will sort before winter (probably).

So why paint the wings now even before they are banged back in to shape? In part to shield them from rust, and because i will have prep & paint done by a pro.

I am rubbish when it comes to block sanding etc. but that's ok, a man's gotta know his limitations.

And there is fair amount to be done;

body1.thumb.jpg.2a59b1fa9bb5b94e17ea2f46370830b5.jpg

body2.thumb.jpg.430b3f7a92b497dad28fc65a42fef2c1.jpg

body3.thumb.jpg.9991b40e80341a9db2f17e1d38933236.jpg

body4.thumb.jpg.94e01a177c88881f39cff09002a01938.jpg

but certainly doable. Since wings and some other places will need a little bit of massaging with hammer and dolly and most likely doors and wings welding to get the gaps right (wings are now temporarily in place with sheet metal screws) any old paint shop will not do. I have couple good referrals lined up with local guys that are well regarded and willing to take it on. This being a big job it will happen around fall at earliest but that's fine by me, no need to rush. Of course everything will be put on writing with time tables and rough budget agreed before any work starts.

And hey, no more rot :thumbsup:

• Like 2

That shell is looking excellent, my favourite is a Mk2 in primer, takes me back to my teenage years.

I am sure you could get the panels straight yourself, you only need a few blocks and guide coat, even the pros don't get it right!!! Paint it black or a contrasting colour, you will soon find your highs and lows.

My mates car has a £4700.00 bill for the bodywork on his car, it's not "right" but it looks nice and shiny.

Fantastic work. I'm sure a man with your talents could paint the car. 

Thank you all! :cheers:

Well, i might be able to do the job myself eventually through trial and error but even if i had the skills i do not have the proper facilities. Paint is maybe the most important part on a restoration, it's right out there in the plain view.

Though of course mechanical bits are equally important too, like on my bike.. Looks good outwards but had a rattling noise when running. I took the mug off yesterday and found generous amount of radial play on the con rods big end (roller bearing or journal worn):sad: Changing a crank on these is a bugger of a job but luckily parts are available and affordable. Might be something for the winter months.

Good news everyone!

I lost my job and can soon devote more of my time on the project.

Guess i should go into details a bit more :blink:. The last chapter started three years ago when the company was taken over by Enics, a competitor of ours.
As feared our new evil overlords shuttered manufacturing operations at the three year mark, as it has previously done with most of it's other purchases.
Design functions relocated to another city but will likely share our fate somewhere along the line.

The news came 7 months ago, just as first reports of some sort of new flue were starting to emerge from China. Since i had 12 years on the company my notice was six months which was extended by a month to get things wrapped up.
When i joined the production staff was in the hundreds, now just four of us were left in the end..

Yesterday was our last day on the job;

Me.thumb.jpg.e780e0e1af5f0c531459b6e626589526.jpg

Proper attire for the times. Btw. Cigar is Partagas Serie P No.2 which i can heartily recommend to affectionates.

Since the factory had been running from the seventies the amount of accumulated junk was staggering, a good portion of that plus a third or so of the remaining component stock i bought (cheaply) and hauled to storage which explains the lack of recent updates on this thread.
Most i can "refine" and sell as scarp but some (tools etc.) require a bit of spit and polish to sell on. Right now i need to sort and catalogue components to get quotes and ultimately more space at the garage, a fairly big job in itself. After this i can really get back on the Cortina again.

empty.thumb.jpg.d723eab09fee09a0803914ccd5149976.jpg

Luckily being a thrifty bugger i have enough funds put aside to take a breather of sorts before even needing to think on getting another job, these not being ideal times for job hunting obviously.

Might even be my own master in the future, who knows..

halfmast.thumb.jpg.f5c4ef68d30bfc357e44d193d99171a7.jpg

Also luckily i had grown to hate my job during the last few years, so nothing of value was lost to me (colleagues excepted). On the contrary, now i am finally free!

What work did the firm do  ?

Industrial electronics, testers etc. that sort of stuff. Nothing for the retail market.

I was the repair department though lately mostly assembling products and whatever else the boss told to:rolleyes:

Sounds like the same process that made me leave my last job and take early retirement (A decision I do not regret).

Good luck for the future, you're obviously a very skilled person so finding work shouldn't be a problem?