LagoonBlue

Lagoonblue's MK2 1600 deluxe

excellent work :thumbup:

Thank you :)

Replacement rear arches are available from the MkII clubs - got to be a better option than cutting up a pair of front wings if they themselves are good enough to be saveable?

Some great work going on there, love seeing this sort of thing. Keep the pics coming

I had the grinder plugged in ready go :o but then read your reply :blink: You do raise a valid point, these wings are fairly rotted and dented plus there is some collision damage hidden by 4mm layer of filler on the other one though. Also i had intended to combine parts of these with my original wings (mostly the parts closest to windscreen) to make a passable pair.

Salvaging arches from these would of been a fools errand for sure, but i did not know that new arch panels existed, well other than expressed panels and i'm not THAT desperate :o

Having a tendency to spend a pound to save a penny does not help too :lol:

Pics of spare wings below, a honest opinion are these savable (by someone more skilled than me, that is), remember that pics always look better than in real life (as known by all ebay users :) ) I must admit that i remembered them being worse than they are...

L1_zps228627f3.jpg

L2_zpsb2f99488.jpg

L4_zpsd17c028a.jpg

L3_zpsb4e2b53c.jpg

Club panels would of course be a better option (this being a spot i don't mind actually spending some of my hard earned to make it right).

Also the club seems to be open for us filthy foreigners like me :lol: Might well consider joining, many thanks for the help!

-Peter

Another couple evenings with the Cortina.

Still undecided what to do with the spare front fenders, are they too far gone to save? Suggestions, opinions anyone?

In the meantime fixed rot in the bottom of B-pillar, seems to be a problem area in these. And here some pics :thumbup:

b1_zps66ed1ce7.jpg

b2_zps4b2d71da.jpg

b3_zps46b5efa5.jpg

b4_zpsf138893a.jpg

b5_zps3965cfce.jpg

A lick of weld-thru zinc primer between the panels

b6_zps0b587d8f.jpg

b7_zps5ce02afa.jpg

That shiny spot in the middle is my first attempt at lead filling, not too stellar looking that :unsure:

b8_zpscbfd725e.jpg

Some primer for now, needs filler though. I'm getting better at welding as i go along, might visit some previously done areas at some point.

And why on earth are there tire valve stems on the pillars :headscratch:

tank_zps00ed8dd1.jpg

Also painted the tank with Hammerite. Drying time is around 3-4 weeks from previous experience...

And why on earth are there tire valve stems on the pillars :headscratch:

because someone didnt have the proper rubber buffers to go there and improvised

because someone didnt have the proper rubber buffers to go there and improvised

Well that makes sense :thumbup: Might even leave those there, period mod you see :lol:

Went shopping in the big city today;

Shopping_zps6464bd33.jpg

Some supplies to help the cause. Nothing fancy of course but not the bottom of the barrel either.

Not the tools that you have but how you use them and so on, but they sure do come handy sometimes :)

That grinding paste must look familiar to you guys :lol:

some nice work going on there keep the pictures coming :thumbup:

some nice work going on there keep the pictures coming :thumbup:

Thanks! ^_^

Continued work on the wheel well lip, coming out nicely but not a job for the inpatient. Needs to be trimmed and contoured to the final shape after i have sourced the wheel arches.

ia1_zpsbfe49120.jpg

ia2_zpsd6ee633a.jpg

ia3_zps44a7c784.jpg

Must also investigate how the arch attaches to the wheel well lip, spot welds maybe :headscratch:

Yes your right, There should be a return edge on the wheel tub that matched the return on the arch, Then you

spot weld them both togeather. :thumbup:

Yes your right, There should be a return edge on the wheel tub that matched the return on the arch, Then you

spot weld them both togeather. :thumbup:

Of course! Like in most modern cars too, how did i not think of that :blush: Glad that i left enough material to work with. Thanks :thumbup:

I have been too busy/tired lately to do any real work with the Cortina, but in the meantime here is a picture of my tread plates after some light cleaning. Eh, good enough :P

Thrdplt_zps22c91e6e.jpg

Finally sourced the rear arches, rough condition but better than nothing.

Here's where they came from, car looks much better in pics.. Has a solid L/H fender though.

spr2_zps55286146.jpg

Few bits and bobs also, 80€ for the lot, bit pricey in my opinion but it's a sellers market these days :huh:

jnk1_zpsf84e6ae7.jpg

Could not resist mocking one up with magnets, made sure to cut them with crease lines included so that i can line them up correctly.

Guessing that the zenith of the arch lines vertically to center of rear axle in a 90 degree angle, if that makes any sense :lol: Will verify and carefully measure before welding up as this needs to be spot on in the first try

jnk2_zpsbc17fd5d.jpg

I will patch and strip the arches now that they are separate, much easier that way.

Next weekend there will be a show in Oulainen http://www.wanhawoima.fi/wkp/ that i will visit, mostly tractors and other agro machinery but some cars too. Never been there before (or any other show :blush: ) but they should have a big boot sale, hoping to find some more bits then. Might even make a show thread if i spot any Cortinas and if anyone here is interested?

I do spot at least one MK1 in last years pics, see if you can find it :icecream:: http://www.wanhawoima.fi/wkp/info.html

Hey, just noticed something! Over 1000 views in this thread! I'll reckon that at least half of them are not mine :winner:

No update for a while but there has been progress with the Cortina, nothing pic worthy though <_<

I have been mostly trying out different methods with paint removal and body work, this all takes time, learning is doing.

Weather has been quite warm for the whole week, not complaining though as underseal comes off very easily in this heat.

temp_zps06587597.jpg

Today i was feeling lazy and went to beach instead :icecream: 15min drive, perks of living in the coast.

beach_zps924a8c0c.jpg

Only one more week of work before my vacation, then i can really start to put hours in to the build :thumbup:

Keep at it ,Some good repairs going on there

:thumbup:

Few bits and bobs also, 80€ for the lot, bit pricey in my opinion but it's a sellers market these days :huh:

jnk1_zpsf84e6ae7.jpg

Next weekend there will be a show in Oulainen http://www.wanhawoima.fi/wkp/ that i will visit, mostly tractors and other agro machinery but some cars too. Never been there before (or any other show :blush: ) but they should have a big boot sale, hoping to find some more bits then. Might even make a show thread if i spot any Cortinas and if anyone here is interested?

I do spot at least one MK1 in last years pics, see if you can find it :icecream:: http://www.wanhawoima.fi/wkp/info.html

jnk1_zpsf84e6ae7.jpg

that interior light looks good - you could end up paying 80euro just for one of them on ebay

And yes Cortinas or not do us a show thread - its interesting to see shows from other countries :thumbup:

Keep at it ,Some good repairs going on there

:thumbup:

Thanks!

that interior light looks good - you could end up paying 80euro just for one of them on ebay

And yes Cortinas or not do us a show thread - its interesting to see shows from other countries :thumbup:

Got it covered :thumbup: http://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/62016-konepaeivaet-show-in-oulainen-finland

Was a fun day, might of make a habit of going to shows.

My original interior light turned to dust (was impressive, like something from tutankhamons tomb :lol: ) were these carved from cheese? This one is not perfect either, i'm thinking of making a mold and casting a replica with resin. Nice small project for the winter.

Here's a wee "teaser" for things to come :P

prev_zpsc312c53a.jpg