cortina-city

stone chip or not?

I think stoneguard is a good idea. I did the front valance and the bottoms of the doors, up to the chrome trim lines, and the same on the front wings, on my last Mark 5 (it was a 1.6L with the narrow chrome/rubber trims) After this, a couple of coats of primer, then top coat and it was'nt obvious at all. I did'nt do the rear quarter panels or rear valance though.

I have done the rear valance, under the bumper, on my Mark 2 and am going to do the same with the sills and front valance, under and behind the front bumper, up to the grille on it. I personally would'nt half do a panel, only up to a panel edge or trim, so I'm not doung any of it on the doors, I think you can only do door bottoms on a 4 or 5 as they have a trim line, or on the basic versions usually a stripe which covers the join. Marks 1-3 have uninterrupted door panels.

For me, it depends on what you want the car to be. If its concours, then none at all, a good show car that gets driven then underneath and in the wheel arches, but from something you're going to use regularly then the bottom few inches all round could be an idea. I think :unsure:

undecided on rear guards gary

stoneguard the sills too or?

gotta decide soon!

well they done look bad if you have the gen ford ones......they help lots to protect lower quarters..... even front madguards pete....I have a set I,m gonna put on mine....back to rear quarters..if you don,t stonechip them lower parts the madguards sure help......protection is the way to go........ :thumbup:

hi

use a good quality stone chip ,like the glasurit water base one

gives a nice smooth finish , the cheap ones give to much texture !

hope this helps

peter

undecided on rear guards gary

stoneguard the sills too or?

gotta decide soon!

YOUR GONNA have to advice the bodyshop WHAT you want PETER, and put your trust in them.

After all there the pro's. And stop stressing out!! :thumbup:

YOUR GONNA have to advice the bodyshop WHAT you want PETER, and put your trust in them.

After all there the pro's. And stop stressing out!! :thumbup:

will do

and thanks to all who replied, ill get that stuff that baney rubble says too, for a smoother look. i know what you mean about the texture look, i dont want it too textured

i mot so stressed just wanna try n nail it, ill be ok. MP3 is fully tunning now!

will do

and thanks to all who replied, ill get that stuff that baney rubble says too, for a smoother look. i know what you mean about the texture look, i dont want it too textured

i mot so stressed just wanna try n nail it, ill be ok. MP3 is fully tunning now!

YOU can get different textures by adjusting the AIR PRESSURE on the gun (but your painter will know what to do :thumbup:

Pete,

The bodyshop who did my Mark 4 put a 5 mm bead of stone chip on the wheelarch edges (which I didn't want).

I didn't notice it for a couple of days after the shell was returned and to be honest I can't stand it every time I look at it!

I was aiming in the restoration to get things as close as possible to original. When I contacted them bodyshop said they said "we always do this", but they said they would rectify this and any other paint that got damaged in the build up. This was 2.5 years ago now! It would probably now be hassle to try and sort this out with them as they were a pain in the a**e to deal with (or to do things to the standard that I wanted which they originally said they could).

I will probably leave the car as it is for now for a future owner to sort out if they wish.

YOU can get different textures by adjusting the AIR PRESSURE on the gun (but your painter will know what to do :thumbup:

thank you Ken, you always here for the tips, nuch apperciated for your support too thank you :superman: :thumbup:

Pete,

The bodyshop who did my Mark 4 put a 5 mm bead of stone chip on the wheelarch edges (which I didn't want).

I didn't notice it for a couple of days after the shell was returned and to be honest I can't stand it every time I look at it!

I was aiming in the restoration to get things as close as possible to original. When I contacted them bodyshop said they said "we always do this", but they said they would rectify this and any other paint that got damaged in the build up. This was 2.5 years ago now! It would probably now be hassle to try and sort this out with them as they were a pain in the a**e to deal with (or to do things to the standard that I wanted which they originally said they could).

I will probably leave the car as it is for now for a future owner to sort out if they wish.

Steve, yes i recall you gad troubles with paint shop, sorry about that. BTW how is the project? Any updates?