littlenewt2067

Mk1 - 3 front grilles, has anyone tried reanodising or just polishing up?

As the Mk1,2 and 3's have shiny grilles, has anyone tried refinishing or got good results? A quick google shows that anodising is an expensive process, it would appear some people have successfully polished them up.

With good spares becoming scarce and expensive, has anyone managed to produce a nice result??

I've polished a few up mate just takes a while and a nice tube of autosol,

I've also got somf silly fine wet and dry 3500 grit but get there in the end

Hugh Wade used to strip off all the anodising on Mk1 grilles & polish the ally on a wheel, but didn't reanodise as it was either too expensive or difficult to find a company to do it. :headscratch:

Aluminium is quite an easy metal/alloy to polish up to a bright finish, the later plastic chrome finish is allot harder to reproduce with good results.

I rubbed a section back of an old Mk3 grille and I appeared to rub through like a laquer? Is that the anodising coating? Do you reckon they could be polished up and lacquered to keep the finish bright?

I rubbed a section back of an old Mk3 grille and I appeared to rub through like a laquer? Is that the anodising coating? Do you reckon they could be polished up and lacquered to keep the finish bright?

Yes after polishing up you can lacquer coat the finish (a bit like polished alloy's) but you have to make sure to use grease/polish remover before trying to clear coat :thumbup:

Mmmm.....I feel some experimenting coming on!

Like ANY finishing the SMOOTHER less SCRATCHED the surface is before polishing the BRIGHTER the shine will be :thumbup:

And not just any lacquer

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEROSOl-1K-CLEAR-ETCH-LACQUER-GLOSS-1K-ALUMINIUM-CLEAR-COAT-ALLOY-WHEEL-PAINT-/180860877088

Edited by Ford1975

It says its an etch lacquer, does that mean it needs recoating with ordinary lacquer or is it an all in one?

It says its an etch lacquer, does that mean it needs recoating with ordinary lacquer or is it an all in one?

That's a final coat its just etch because it has a HARD surface / non painted surface to adhere too.

cheers :cheers:

cheers :cheers:

Please post your results.

I would be very interested in how you get on.