Sign in to follow this  
nostrilshorts

Head Gasket Replaced and Unleaded Conversion

A leak on my MK5 in the driver footwell was the brake pedal bulkhead rubber boot. the most difficult bit was getting another one.

Is that butyl rubber?

I use bed roll closed cell foam, you get a lot of cars worth of new seals out of a single roll :thumbup: itr can also be used as sound deadening or anti rattle gaskets in other places ;)

sorted :thumbup: have you been for a spin yet? how did you get on with the leak.

sorted :thumbup: have you been for a spin yet? how did you get on with the leak.

i have to tighten the spark plugs yet, i had to go to work so that's as far as i got.

i hope to fugg everything is fine. i have never thought id attmpt to change a head gasket as my knowledge is very minimal

but the only way to learn is to throw yourself in the deep end haha.

i also havent gotten around to checking for leaks yet as it's been non stop raining

so that's definitely next on the agenda.

thanks for all the info and help everyone

I use bed roll closed cell foam, you get a lot of cars worth of new seals out of a single roll :thumbup: itr can also be used as sound deadening or anti rattle gaskets in other places ;)

ah yes,similar to camping mat,which I had saw in Asda

watch that cam belt rubbing through the heater hose if you test drive with out the cover on mate, been there done that.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

watch that cam belt rubbing through the heater hose if you test drive with out the cover on mate, been there done that.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aye get the cover on!! And cable tie the heater hose to top hose. :thumbup:

ha ha, yeah i can see on the hose that there's slight wear from that happening before. i'm just gonna get the timing double checked first, then chuck on the cover.

thanks buddy

right so i got the car started today, everything sounded great until i went to drive it home i noticed a kind of clanking sound on acceleration

while coming up to 30mph - 40mph. it seems to lack power to especially uphill.

would anybody have any ideas on this?

thanks

clanking or deep 'metallic' rattle ??? sounds like timing to me,, :headscratch:

clanking or deep 'metallic' rattle ??? sounds like timing to me,, :headscratch:

oh jaysus i hope so, if it's big end wear or something internal from the bottom end, i think i'll give up :/

you must have cam timing out by a tooth on the belt.

you must have cam timing out by a tooth on the belt.

I'm gonna get it timed tomorrow, I hope you're right, Jaysus everyone is so helpful here, it's great =)

Timed the car today according to the haynes manual and it's now running sweet as a nut without any knocks or misfires, delighted :)