Kenworth W900

1972 MK3 1600L

Hey guys,

Thought I may as well show off my wheels and make some updates on my progress with the project. When I say project, I mean from where it was when I bought it a few months ago to a point where it is just how I like it. So, there's no particular vision for it currently, just me adding/changing bits as I go along to suit my own tastes.

I realise that a lot of the inherent value of Cortina's is in their originality but I felt that mine was really nothing special when I first bought it and had already had some things changed, so I thought, in for a penny in for a pound. Not least because MK3 Cortinas are truly my dream cars. And I have managed to realise that dream at just 22 years of age (thanks to my parents for helping with the outlay for it). So, I have no intention of selling it. I want to feel free to live my dream. Rather than be constrained by the exact correct features of a 1972 L spec 1600 OHV MK3 K reg. Instead it's a bit of a mashup of all the 'best bits', to my mind at least.

So as stated in the title, purists beware on this one - you are unlikely to appreciate me adding a GT grill or GXL console, etc. But I'm in my element here. I shall leave keeping them fully original to the pros amongst you.

Anywho, here are some pics showing it as it was when I first purchased it from ebay:

Cortina001_zps9e523ca2.jpg

Cortina004_zps7ec6a176.jpg

Cortina003_zps651ee9f3.jpg

I'll update with some current pics soon.

Nice looking car, adding bit's from other Cortina's or accessories from the same era is still keeping it within a theme and in good taste......in my opinion.

Adding 17inch wheels, neon under-floor lights and a boot spoiler off a Honda.....that'd be a no no!!

:thumbup:

Nice car, get a :thumbup: from me!

Thumbs up from me too. Cortinas always were modified, it made them different from the herd. Best of luck with it.....will we see it at Monmouth Cortina Day in June seeing as you are so near.

Looks good, im like the others, modifying them is fine, its your car after all!

I was 21 or 22 when I got my first mk3, you're going to really enjoy owning it, I have loads of positive memories looking back and that's why I still love em now. I think it makes all the difference getting into classics at a young age.

You car looks great to me, white is a cool colour for the mk3 too, they always reminds me of a mini vanishing point challenger somehow.

Hiya good luck with your car and you do as you wish with it its yours :thumbup:

Prapps not 17s though :sofa:

Cortina003_zps651ee9f3.jpg

These wheels look good , hope you have kept them on it :rolleyes:

I agree, Cortinas are just meant to be personalised. The truth is a nice car is a nice car. Some original ones look rubbish, and some modified ones do as well.

Most people know a nice car when they see one and that's what yours is.

A good looking car. :thumbup:

Your car looks great to me, white is a cool colour for the mk3 too, they always reminds me of a mini vanishing point challenger somehow.

I hadn't ever thought of it like that before - now you've mentioned it I'm going to feel even cooler driving it :D

Thanks for your comments everyone, I'm glad you like it so far. One of the main reasons for owning a MK3 is for attracting swathes of admiration so I'm glad you guys didn't let me down. Every time I show up somewhere in my Cortina I'm like a woman hinting heavily that I would like someone to comment on my new hairstyle.

Before we move forward, lets go back a bit first. I bought my MK3 around 3 months ago off ebay. But 6 months before that was when I had first started to seriously consider buying one. I've loved them forever but it was only 9 months ago that it began to feel viable because my Dad purchased a classic car. We then went to the big classic car NEC show last year and I really started considering it for real. Plus my folks said they would loan me some money to help pay for it.

So I started trawling ebay and elsewhere for a MK3 and found one local to me over the other side of the Severn in Lydney. It was only about £1200 which felt like a really good price. But we never went to go see it because my Dad advised that it just wasn't a viable option, with no MOT and loads of welding work which we couldn't do ourselves.

So, 6 months after that I purchase my one from a guy up in Derbyshire and when we go to tax it it turns out to have been owned by someone living in Mitcheldean. That's just down the road from Lydney in the Forest of Dean. That lead to us checking the original ebay listing and it confirmed our suspicions that I had ended up purchasing the same MK3 which I had considered 6 months before - only this time the major work had been done and it was drivable and MOT'd. Bit of a coincidence.

But if you want coincidences (and this truly is a tangent here for a minute guys) - that classic car which I mentioned my Dad had purchased was a Datsun 280ZX. He went to a classic car auction near Birmingham last year mainly just as a day out but ended up buying the Datsun when he realised it was the same one he had purchased brand new in 1982! So he bid for it and ended up being reunited with it. He still had the receipt and brochure from the showroom when he first bought it all those years ago.

My car was originally registered in Wiltshire but appears to have spent most of its life next door in Gloucestershire. It was in the name of the old fella in Mitcheldean for around 20 years. As far as I can tell, the owner in the interim who I bought it from, had plans to make it into something of a hotrod but got caught up in other projects and never got round to finishing it off. Hence some of the features like the superlights and bullet mirrors.

Anywho, heres pics of my one as it was when the old fella in the Forest of Dean was selling it:

Cortina012_zpsaaaba64c.jpg

Cortina011_zps6812ac9b.jpg

Cortina015_zpsb359d8ed.jpg

One of the main reasons for owning a MK3 is for attracting swathes of admiration

sometimes its a pain in the a$$ though if you are in a hurry so the mk5 stays in the garage and l take the mk3........ mondeo

One of the main reasons for owning a MK3 is for attracting swathes of admiration

sometimes its a pain in the a$$ though if you are in a hurry so the mk5 stays in the garage and l take the mk3........ mondeo

I can always spare 5 minutes at the petrol station to explain what year and model the Cortina is - filling stations are the number one place for it in my experiance and usually it the people driving the slightly better car than the usual euroboxs that are interested - which makes sence really . Some people are amazed when a Porsche driver stops to admire their old Cortina but its because he likes cars that hes bought a Porsche, your Quishquash driver has just bought something to take the kids to school in because the poor dears couldnt possibly manage to use their legs between school and mcshyteburgers.

Getting fuel can take twice as long in a Cortina, I got collared by a deaf man the other day which made for a interesting conversation, even though he had a hearing aid he couldn't hear me and I couldn't understand what he was saying!

Getting fuel can take twice as long in a Cortina, I got collared by a deaf man the other day which made for a interesting conversation, even though he had a hearing aid he couldn't hear me and I couldn't understand what he was saying!

:lol: