Sign in to follow this  
nixzy

clutch release bearing

how do u remove a clutch release bearing on a type 9 gearbox? do i have to remove the clutch arm its pivoting on which looks like a round bolt?

it clips on with 2 spring clips to the ears on the arm, you remove the bearing to get the arm off not the other way round ;)

it clips on with 2 spring clips to the ears on the arm, you remove the bearing to get the arm off not the other way round ;)

okay thats ill give that a go

You need to get it in the right place so it's loose on the arm them it'll pop off fairly easy, if there's pressure on either spring it'll come off half cocked and wedge up and get stuck, usually you can just pull the old ones off as the springs toose tension on the arm.

You need to get it in the right place so it's loose on the arm them it'll pop off fairly easy, if there's pressure on either spring it'll come off half cocked and wedge up and get stuck, usually you can just pull the old ones off as the springs toose tension on the arm.

so to get it loose do i twist it? it looks on the arm that its lower on the end and higher in the middle were there are 2 little tips which look to be tight against the arm?

so to get it loose do i twist it? it looks on the arm that its lower on the end and higher in the middle were there are 2 little tips which look to be tight against the arm?

Push the bearing back off the arm towards the gearbox, it should just clip off. I did have one that was melted once as the bearing was toast that was a swine to get off.

Push the bearing back off the arm towards the gearbox, it should just clip off. I did have one that was melted once as the bearing was toast that was a swine to get off.

okay mine is stuck quite good it doesnt seem to want to go anywere wont twist or anything and i cant see much of how it clips and and dont want to break it too much.. just a question on the top of the bearing there are 2 little tips if i ended up breaking them would that make the bearing slide out through the arm or is that apart of the arm?

okay mine is stuck quite good it doesnt seem to want to go anywere wont twist or anything and i cant see much of how it clips and and dont want to break it too much.. just a question on the top of the bearing there are 2 little tips if i ended up breaking them would that make the bearing slide out through the arm or is that apart of the arm?

Mmm, any chance you can post a pic? It should just pop off the arm.

The fixing clips are at the sides here:

post-2272-022247000 1401957079_thumb.jpg

The fixing clips are at the sides here:

post-2272-022247000 1401957079_thumb.jpg

so this is under the bearing? the gearbox side?

Mmm, any chance you can post a pic? It should just pop off the arm.

ill add a pic this weekend when i go out to the shed if i still cant get it off

so this is under the bearing? the gearbox side?

Thanks dgo.

Yes, this is the bearing and its the side of the bearing you should see and its behind the fork, should just push back and unclip. If yours is different there is something wrong.

Edited by Beowulf

Thanks dgo.

Yes, this is the bearing and its the side of the bearing you should see and its behind the fork, should just push back and unclip. If yours is different there is something wrong.

ok cool thanks guys =] ill give it another go now as i have a better understanding of what it looks like

If you grab hold of the release bearing with your hand it should just pull off the arm (forwards away from the gearbox) but as i say you need to get the arm at the angle where it puts no preshure on the bearing, the bearing pivots slightly in the arm and there are positions where it's loose and some where it's tight, when it's loose you put hard (whilst holding the arm in place or lever with a screw driver and it will pop off, you just need to get it at the loose point so the pressure is even on both sping clips.

Sorry it's not that easy to expain :oops: