ChristinaGXL

My Mk3 Ruby

I removed the ski slope and got the sill in position, Luckily everything seems to line up! I'm pretty sure it's luck anyway. There's some tidy up work to do on the A and B posts, and you can see the entire mess that is the wheeltub area. I need to get myself one of those shrinker/stretcher tools to make the right angled floor edge that goes up and over the axle. Or it may be cheaper to see if I can get an engineering place to make up a section for me?

AkR2nTj.jpg

tkPgIhu.jpg

QfeXwvb.jpg

The ski slope on these sills is too big and the missing piece of arch was just filler.

3iQQ4D6.jpg

The horror!

yKQskyx.jpg

Pushed the sill up with the jack to get the bottom to line up, they seem to need compressing to fit properly.

QFpSYgN.jpg

bJBcnsS.jpg

2att8uK.jpg

I just need to buy another 20 or 30 pairs of mole grips so I can hold the whole thing in the right place.

You can use tac screws they really help to put everything in place before permanently welding it in place. My thread right now is the same as yours.good work

I couldn't help myself so I test fitted the rear door

Seems to fit okay all around, things appear to line up okay.

ZykN0uc.jpg

The sill is sticking out a little bit but that might sort itself out when I weld it all together.

a4w7se5.jpg

Hand to block the sun

UmVDLbi.jpg

The sill is a little higher at the back end as it's not clamped at that end.

05fzDjF.jpg

Here's the reason I want to change the quarter, this is some of the worst repair work I've seen. The gaps are awful and it's not even close to lining up.

B1bk2IW.jpg

BpwZ1UA.jpg

Hmmm... something is not quite right there, the last pic shows it all. Is it door pillar aligmentment related ?? Hope you manage to sort it.

Some good work going on there btw.

Edited by team_radius

Looking Good you should try it with the door seal fitted and try and remove some of the filler on the rear arch and it will look fine.

You are doing a great job there it's coming on nicely. :thumbup:

Hmmm... something is not quite right there, the last pic shows it all. Is it door pillar aligmentment related ?? Hope you manage to sort it.

Some good work going on there btw.

It's all from a prior arch repair, it was the same when I got it. It sticks out quite a bit but then there's also a hell of a lot of filler there. Even higher up it was about 3mm thick, so it's only going to get thicker. I'll take it all off to see what's really there. I want to fit a new quarter anyway because the seam is visible in the boot and it's awful :/

Looking Good you should try it with the door seal fitted and try and remove some of the filler on the rear arch and it will look fine.

You are doing a great job there it's coming on nicely. :thumbup:

Agreed.

Looks like its had an arch fitted, so the door will never line up with the rear wing in this area. Would'nt try to replace the quarter unless it's knackerd, just redo the wheelarch.

i think redo the wheel arch with easy to get wheel arch repair panel

if you change the quarter you will then be into boot alignment as well

also you will lose the leaded roof join and there is braze to do

if rest of quarter ok, better to redo arch

also

any second hand quarter is almost sure to have a repaired or rotted arch area anyway.

a good quarter will always be on a good car

and a good car never found for parts unless been a write off at front end

i have some pics of the quarter coming off PDM 869L and i did that becuase a JCB dropped some bricks on it!

DENTED THE COACH LINES

ill have a look just incase it helps you decide

Is it possible to get it so the repair isn't visible from inside the boot? That'd be tricky I think. Also from what I've seen the arch repair panels are a little undefined? I dunno where the arch comes out looks a little shallow.

Those pics would be very handy thanks :D

Edited by ChristinaGXL

i was the same and hated all the filler so pulled quarter off on PDM, however...........if your damage is only the arch, have a see, the quarter does nto fix that area. that area is controlled by wheel tub

post-3360-047132900 1458513072_thumb.jpg

post-3360-051539200 1458513074_thumb.jpg

getting the quartyer out from behind the roof channel gutter trim is fun.

you can JUST about drill it out thru the gutter channel panel right thru into quarter.

i sliced quarter and pulled at remains with pliers and got it out.

i advise against it simply for cost/time reasons

UNLESS you really think your quarter is trashed.

to get it seam free using arch repair, yes, butt weld, via a lot of tacks and slowly infill and carefully grind back. inside should be flush and fixed with a skim of filler. it would be invisible

just fixed some holes in rubys quarter (30mm antenna hole) that repair is flush on inside.

Edited by cortina-city

Hmmm, the lower quarter is also pretty far gone on this. I'll take off the filler and see what I've got to work with. I'm not sure if they've used the entire arch repair panel so I'm unsure if I can fix it. But I'll have a looksee.

Pete did finish Ruby . He has Swampy , Bramble and Ruby . One of them recently had an engine fire but I think he has finished repairing it or it's well on the way . Unfortunately Pete doesn't post on here now but has a YouTube channel and I think he posts on the mk3 Cortina Owners club forum .