M5Greg

Carbodies update

Can't fault that Greg, looks great to me!

Came out really nice!!

Can't fault that Greg, looks great to me!

Thank you both, I have a second tank from my spares car in excellent condition which I started cleaning up until I found 1 small bit that was under the retaining strap which has rusted quite bad. I have tried a few places to try and get just that bit repaired but no one would touch it, I'll keep it as a spare it might help someone out one day.

I'd weld a repair in, but postage to & from me it would end up about same as buying another tank.

I'd weld a repair in, but postage to & from me it would end up about same as buying another tank.

Well it hasn't rusted right through it so I think it could be brazed and and shaped to the original profile, it's a shame because it's such a small bit but it couldn't be left.

As you say postage to and from you makes it not worth having it repaired, thanks for the offer though.

I'll keep asking around for someone local to repair it, or maybe try one of them small brazing sets, I'm always up for a challenge.

No prob, I can do most types of welding but I'm rubbish at brazing & soldering!

I tried one of the company's that line the tank with resin but they wanted £300 plus vat just to do the inside.

Was that for what they call the Re-Nu process? I had that done on one of my tanks recently but I'm far from happy with it. I think the company who did it must have grit blasted the tank to death as around the sender hole is so warped it's doubtful if I'd get a seal. Around the seam where both halves of the tank are welded together is also warped which suggests the tank is under stress and if it's under that much stress it could be liable to crack around the weld. I don't know what the stuff is that they use but the tank is twice as heavy as it was originally. Fortunately I was able to negotiate a price so didn't pay anything like the figure you were quoted as in the end I just decided to clean and refit my original tank so the refurbished one is still lying in the garage.

If it’s only a small area, you could soft solder it. It would need to be cleaned back to shiny metal first, and the tank steam cleaned to remove all traces of petrol, or it could be the last job that you ever do!

Was that for what they call the Re-Nu process? I had that done on one of my tanks recently but I'm far from happy with it. I think the company who did it must have grit blasted the tank to death as around the sender hole is so warped it's doubtful if I'd get a seal. Around the seam where both halves of the tank are welded together is also warped which suggests the tank is under stress and if it's under that much stress it could be liable to crack around the weld. I don't know what the stuff is that they use but the tank is twice as heavy as it was originally. Fortunately I was able to negotiate a price so didn't pay anything like the figure you were quoted as in the end I just decided to clean and refit my original tank so the refurbished one is still lying in the garage.

It was the Re-Nu process, I'm glad I didn't get it done now it sounds like you had a nightmare with it.

I still can't see how sandblasting the tank and pouring in sealant can be £300 + vat, I'm pleased with how mine came out so definitely worth having a go yourself.

If it’s only a small area, you could soft solder it. It would need to be cleaned back to shiny metal first, and the tank steam cleaned to remove all traces of petrol, or it could be the last job that you ever do!

I think that's why no one seemed to eager to repair it for me, it's been off the car and empty for years but there's still that little worry.

I have tig and MIG welded tanks before, flushed it out with a hosepipe and welded with tank nearly full to the brim with water, just depends where the leak is or are. Old chap a few houses away uses a soldering iron, albeit a big un to repair motorcycle tanks and has been doing it that way for years.

I have tig and MIG welded tanks before, flushed it out with a hosepipe and welded with tank nearly full to the brim with water, just depends where the leak is or are. Old chap a few houses away uses a soldering iron, albeit a big un to repair motorcycle tanks and has been doing it that way for years.

I might give it a go with one of the small brazing kits I've seen on ebay, I know they don't last long but its only a small area.

Finally managed to get the fuel tank in and also fitted my kick panel trims, because of the extra strengthening these panels are modified so to fit my 2000E ones I had to use some vinyl under the carpet, if I ever find a Blue mk5 Ghia carpet I'll change it but for now this one will do, slowly ticking off the to do list.

I need to get a complete exhaust system, I would like to get a stainless one made but I haven't got the old one to copy so have had a look around and I can get one from Germany delivered for just over £300. There are 2 companies here that list a complete system but don't seem to have it in stock so if anyone knows somewhere in the UK that might have one please let me know.

post-12576-0-52785100-1530315194_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-39187500-1530315722_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-07476800-1530315742_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-24529200-1530315757_thumb.jpg

Looking fine is that.

I bought the exhaust from Germany and gave the manifolds a spray up ready for when it got here, yesterday I spent all day trying to get the exhaust to line up but it was just to long on the down pipes.

After measuring it all up the off side down pipe needed 50mm taken out and the near side 30mm, then welded back together.

I don't know if this was because it's a bad pattern part or as it was listed just for the Taunus there is a difference from RHD to LHD.

The centre boxes are surprisingly heavy when your lying on your back trying to put it all together, but thankfully it's all on now and hopefully no leaks.

post-12576-0-35169700-1532805840_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-10819700-1532806571_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-90022400-1532805895_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-85678600-1532805869_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-43076000-1532805918_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-68938300-1532805935_thumb.jpg