M5Greg

Carbodies update

Had a bit of time yesterday so I turned the engine over on the starter without the plugs in just to build the oil pressure up and pull the fuel up from the tank, I then fitted the plugs, ign leads and carb with a temporary clear filter just so I could see if the fuel was getting up.

The engine fired up after a couple of tries but the fast idle (choke) needs raising and as there is no water in it I didn't run it for long but it runs so another milestone reached.

I had a bit of trouble with the starter as it was getting stuck and dragging with the engine running, the alternator light was on but this could just be the low idle.

So I've ordered a starter motor and next up is cooling system then try and bleed the brakes.

IMG_5111.thumb.jpg.9c60ed4f1b9b0401c63d901fc978386a.jpgIMG_4475.thumb.jpg.fa620c58ce2644324970aa048340676c.jpgIMG_4478.thumb.jpg.1c26acf8b93fb7839be01f234cb101f8.jpgIMG_4481.thumb.jpg.b2620fef3ed365f19197c9bb1a0157b3.jpgIMG_5297.thumb.jpg.092b8e8bc58f89932e4d6c9e1d1aaeb4.jpgIMG_4482.thumb.jpg.65da1c7f30122f0dceafb22caa76cd9d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All good news Greg! Can't be far away now, should be done for some summer 2019 cruising!!

17 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

All good news Greg! Can't be far away now, should be done for some summer 2019 cruising!!

I hope so, the next big thing is the hood and roll bar trim which should get done early in the new year.

Just watched episode 7 of ALN, can't wait for 8  

This car gets better with every picture, that carburettor looks superb.  If you're doing the brakes don't be tempted to use anything that pressurises the reservoir, you don't want to risk getting any brake fluid on that paintwork (unless you're using DOT5).  I used a Gunson Eezibleed in the summer to do mine, it was utter crap, leaked fluid everywhere.  Most people seem to go for the vacuum bleed systems now.

2 minutes ago, RT 1006 said:

This car gets better with every picture, that carburettor looks superb.  If you're doing the brakes don't be tempted to use anything that pressurises the reservoir, you don't want to risk getting any brake fluid on that paintwork (unless you're using DOT5).  I used a Gunson Eezibleed in the summer to do mine, it was utter crap, leaked fluid everywhere.  Most people seem to go for the vacuum bleed systems now.

I spent hours looking at all the different makes and methods, I nearly went for the Gunson's until I read the reviews, they all seem to have had the same trouble as you.

I did go for the DOT 5 mainly because I was terrified of spilling the normal stuff, I think I'll try and bleed it the old fashioned way, how did you do your brakes in the end? 

11 hours ago, M5Greg said:

I spent hours looking at all the different makes and methods, I nearly went for the Gunson's until I read the reviews, they all seem to have had the same trouble as you.

I did go for the DOT 5 mainly because I was terrified of spilling the normal stuff, I think I'll try and bleed it the old fashioned way, how did you do your brakes in the end? 

I just had to persevere with the Gunson thing as I needed the car on the road the next day.  It was a nightmare though as the tyre valve didn't work properly and the reservoir cap wouldn't seal.  The principle of operation is fine it's just that the quality of the item is so poor.  The one I had was so crap I sent it back and got a refund, I'd never buy another one.  The old fashioned way or a good quality (if they exist!) vacuum bleeder is probably going to be best.  If you're using DOT5/silicone though then getting it on the paintwork isn't going to be as big a concern as with DOT4. 

I just read through this for the first time. The transformation is simply staggering!

18 hours ago, Dave A said:

I just read through this for the first time. The transformation is simply staggering!

Thank you Dave, it's very nice of you to say so.

I wanted to try and get the car moving so I needed to get the drivers seat in, I changed the 2000E carpet for a standard mk5 one then I gave the seat runners a bit of satin Black before bolting the seat in. Now that the engine is running ok I could top up the transmission fluid and drive it out of the garage for the first time in over 20 years.

IMG_1646.thumb.jpg.7c80257b763e7813a549e98128bb35b3.jpgIMG_6041.thumb.jpg.f332cc5229df5442c43f571d4c97118d.jpgIMG_2940.thumb.jpg.dd590958a9be84efdb1f1f47fec28566.jpgIMG_4579.thumb.jpg.de1eec9cb13cfd4e76925732b308877a.jpgIMG_4582.thumb.jpg.71301d42502034a018c1103df051ca0c.jpgIMG_4580.thumb.jpg.f7a292293ba63202a6614fa4d4bbf5ca.jpg

Looks absolutely superb, some chrome wheel trim rings will set it off nicely :thumbsup:

Brilliant

I love this ....I am missing some great stuff hear....nice work...👍

Oh yes !!!

19 hours ago, RT 1006 said:

Looks absolutely superb, some chrome wheel trim rings will set it off nicely :thumbsup:

I have got some chrome trim rings which I think finish the wheels off but I hate the way they hold on by gripping into the paint, so I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

How sad is that.