M5Greg

Carbodies update

Very impressive work and very informative, it looks like your work is to a much higher standard than Carbodies :thumbup: This is a great restoration and I look forward to each update, keep up the good work :cheers:

Great pictures Greg I never realized how much they butchered the cars.

And what first class work you are doing. :thumbup:

At least Jim will have a good yard stick to work to for his carbodies car.

It is great Pete but is making me feel overwhelmed!!

it is looking fantastic Greg!!!! I take it you have templates for the panels?! :cheers:

Well jim you have a nice large dry Garage to build it in all you need is the time to do it. :superman:

Wow Greg! Great progress and sooo professional too. Looks great.

Thanks everyone the kind comments are very much appreciated.

I've kept the old panels to use as templates for you Jim in case you or anyone else might need them.

To be fair to Carbodies it's much easier for me to do the work with the car stripped and on the rollover jig than it must of been on a brand new painted and ready to go Cortina, plus most of the work was very well done.

I'm that excited about how far I've got I'm thinking of asking someone at Restore a Ford if they will come and give me a quote to finish the little bits of bodywork and paint the car.

I'm down to the scuttle panel and bonnet hinge panels left to do welding wise so as I can't get a new scuttle panel I bought the 2 ends from Expressed Steel Panels, this started off well as the panels are very well made and I was happy to have a go at welding it all together.

I then took off the old paint and primer from the centre section of the scuttle and found the brass monkey had been at work there as well, so I still need a scuttle panel which as long as the centre is ok I can try for a good second hand one.

The lower scuttle needed a piece put in and so my spares car came to the rescue again with a repair piece.

DSC00512_zps5aruobco.jpg

DSC00507_zps9jze0vat.jpg

DSC00508_zpswmydj1zu.jpg

DSC00519_zpsmxi0j2hq.jpg

DSC00520_zpsxuoqtrev.jpg

DSC00521_zpsoihm2fae.jpg

• Upvote 1

Greg...it looks like your pics aren't working?

Greg...it looks like your pics aren't working?

Cheers Jim, I don't know what happened there I'll put them back on.

Hopefully these stay on.

DSC00512_zps5aruobco.jpg

DSC00508_zpswmydj1zu.jpg

DSC00520_zpsxuoqtrev.jpg

DSC00507_zps9jze0vat.jpg

DSC00521_zpsoihm2fae.jpg

DSC00519_zpsmxi0j2hq.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brilliant work, keep it up. 😎👍

I've just read the whole thread from start to finish. Took me 4 hours.

I'm totally filled with motivation now, and can see my Cortinas getting some work this weekend.

Have you a pic of a Crayford rear seat? I imagine they're quite narrow?

I have a mk 4 donor shell, I'm not sure what the scuttle is like, but I'll check at the weekend

Brilliant work, keep it up. 😎👍

I've just read the whole thread from start to finish. Took me 4 hours.

I'm totally filled with motivation now, and can see my Cortinas getting some work this weekend.

Have you a pic of a Crayford rear seat? I imagine they're quite narrow?

I have a mk 4 donor shell, I'm not sure what the scuttle is like, but I'll check at the weekend

Thank you.

The back is definitely a cosy 2 seater, if you let me know about the scuttle as I still haven't found a good one yet

TNF%204_zpsqumtb12l.jpg

Not much going on with the Cortina lately, still need a good scuttle panel centre and I'm waiting for the bonnet hinge panels that Expressed steel are making.

I've got a bit more spare time now so hopefully I will be able to get to a lot more auto jumbles and maybe find the panel I need.

Not much of an update but the bonnet hinge panels turned up last week and look very good, still haven't found a good scuttle panel yet but will keep looking.

In the next week or so I'm going to have a drive down to Restore A Ford which isn't to far from me and have a chat about getting the car finished and painted, it might be easier to get them to repair the scuttle and then fit the hinge panels.

DSC00862_zpsa4rozfpi.jpg

DSC00863_zps1y27zptr.jpg

They do look good. Would be a shame to send it out to finish as you have done an excellent job so far. I think it's well within your capabilities to repair the scuttle.

They do look good. Would be a shame to send it out to finish as you have done an excellent job so far. I think it's well within your capabilities to repair the scuttle.

Thanks Beowulf, if I find a good scuttle panel I will have a go myself if not I will have to let them try and repair the original.