M5Greg

Carbodies update

The car is booked in with Aldridge Trimming for May and because it hasn't got a roof I will need a covered trailer to get it there so I've emailed a few companies for a price.

It's around 220 miles and 2 companies have got back to me so far, one is £450 and another £575 + vat, not sure if these are fair prices but they are just one way so around a grand for both ways is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

Hi Greg, Must say that those quotes seem Very high.

It might be worth you having an ask around and see if you can find someone that has a race car or rally cay that uses a "Clam Shell" Trailer they might be able to help you out. For the good old cash in hand.

You should be able to find some one in your area seeing as you have Brands Hatch on your doorstep.

Just had another thought! Have you tried Shiply on the internet. Quite good, you post your requirements and shippers quote and bid for the work. Wait a while and the prices will drop dramatically. I got quotes to move a bike from Stafford to Home 180 miles ish. Started off at £300 and dropped to £75. Worth a look.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Walton
Added more info

12 hours ago, M5Greg said:

£450 and another £575 + vat...…..is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

Agreed, liking Steve's idea.

There may be people that can do it cheaper, but have they got the right insurance in place, if they are pulling a trailer for profit or gain, and are a ltd company, they have to by law have a factory fitted tachometer, if you add up all the bits and bobs it soon mount up, l have a twin axle trailer, but to tow it legally you need a 4x4, and mine does 20mpg towing, so fuel costs and man hours are your main expense.

When you have put so much effort into such a top job, I would use a reputable company, with full insurance etc etc, are you traveling with the car, because l wouldn't really want to let it out of my sight, if it was mine.

6 hours ago, Steve Walton said:

Hi Greg, Must say that those quotes seem Very high.

It might be worth you having an ask around and see if you can find someone that has a race car or rally cay that uses a "Clam Shell" Trailer they might be able to help you out. For the good old cash in hand.

You should be able to find some one in your area seeing as you have Brands Hatch on your doorstep.

Just had another thought! Have you tried Shiply on the internet. Quite good, you post your requirements and shippers quote and bid for the work. Wait a while and the prices will drop dramatically. I got quotes to move a bike from Stafford to Home 180 miles ish. Started off at £300 and dropped to £75. Worth a look.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for that it's definitely something worth trying, I've not heard of Shiply I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

There may be people that can do it cheaper, but have they got the right insurance in place, if they are pulling a trailer for profit or gain, and are a ltd company, they have to by law have a factory fitted tachometer, if you add up all the bits and bobs it soon mount up, l have a twin axle trailer, but to tow it legally you need a 4x4, and mine does 20mpg towing, so fuel costs and man hours are your main expense.

When you have put so much effort into such a top job, I would use a reputable company, with full insurance etc etc, are you traveling with the car, because l wouldn't really want to let it out of my sight, if it was mine.

I've still got a few more companies that haven't got back to me yet and they are all advertising as dedicated transportation companies so hopefully one will come up with a good price, I've still got a few weeks to go so I'm not panicking yet.  I'm not sure if I'll travel with it or meet the car up there and after go and visit some other Cortina nuts but I need to go over all what I need doing with the trimmers as trying to explain it all over the phone just got confusing. I've got a lot of reference photos that I'll leave with the car just in case.

Gave all the hood frame a paint and I've bought all new nuts and bolts to replace the old ones, just got to remember how it all goes back together.

IMG_4770.jpg

• Like 1

Got all the hood frame together and fitted to the car so next step is the hood and trimming, after the rollbar is trimmed I can get the windscreen and rear quarter glass fitted. I'm hoping that I can get the glass done while it's at Aldridge which would mean I can get it trailered home on a normal trailer and save a bit over the cost of a covered trailer.

IMG_4789.jpg

On 3/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, M5Greg said:

The car is booked in with Aldridge Trimming for May and because it hasn't got a roof I will need a covered trailer to get it there so I've emailed a few companies for a price.

It's around 220 miles and 2 companies have got back to me so far, one is £450 and another £575 + vat, not sure if these are fair prices but they are just one way so around a grand for both ways is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

So did they give you indication of how before you get the car back?  Expensive shipping. Would you dare pick a nice day, rent a tow dolly behind a pickup truck and take your chances...this is provided they can put the car inside when it gets there....better yet just drive there you can be like that movie Planes, Trains and automobiles.😊 

16 hours ago, Dave A said:

So did they give you indication of how before you get the car back?  Expensive shipping. Would you dare pick a nice day, rent a tow dolly behind a pickup truck and take your chances...this is provided they can put the car inside when it gets there....better yet just drive there you can be like that movie Planes, Trains and automobiles.😊 

I'm not sure how long, I assumed the hood and the other bits that need trimming would take a few weeks.

I can't take a chance with the weather, even if I picked the hottest day of the year you can guarantee it would rain halfway there.

I love that film, when it gets to the bit at the end where he goes and finds John Candy chokes me up every time.

Wow wow wow wow!,,, coming on really well Greg, what a stunner👍🏼👍🏼

3 hours ago, littlenewt2067 said:

Wow wow wow wow!,,, coming on really well Greg, what a stunner👍🏼👍🏼

Thanks mate,

How's things with you, JOG keeps reappearing every now and then on the back of a recovery truck in the local pubs car park.

This is a picture of where I used to work, although I was there 5 years later but if you own a Silver Carbodies it could be your car in the corner.

I did go and see the car then but at that time it was going round on a turntable in the showroom and way out of my league price wise.

2019 NEC RESTORATION SHOW 078.jpg

Hi Greg. This has been posted on Facebook and the only silver car sold by them (as far as we know) was ALN (that you yourself owned) so most likely it is ALN.

1 minute ago, Beowulf said:

Hi Greg. This has been posted on Facebook and the only silver car sold by them (as far as we know) was ALN (that you yourself owned) so most likely it is ALN.

I think so too, I have somewhere on video the car on the turntable in the showroom, I will try and find it when I get time.

When is the next episode of ALN?