Sign in to follow this  
bugsntinas

engine trouble

Bteather seems fine.

Distributor doesn't appear cracked and it had a decent spark at the poinys and plugs.can't do a compression test as don't have the tester and garage don:t want to know.

Someelse has suggested it could be the vv carb!

It may be worth your while to take a sample of your petrol if possible from the tank,it may contain water/diesel.

Sounds like one of those things where you need to work through it in a logical order:

1. Sounds like you have fuel going into the cylinder head

2. Again sounds like you have a decent spark - is this firing at the right time? Have you checked the timing?

3. Check the cam timing - using the marks on the belt and the timing wheels, just take the cover off

4. Chack for air leaks around the carb, pipes and distributor

5. Check dizzy condition i.e. that the baseplate is OK

6. Are you sure the new fuel pump is OK

7. Have you checked the inlet into the carb is clean if you're replaced the pump

It coulf also be that it's a pain in thr . Lol.

I'm gonna change the carb tomorrow and see what that does.if no difference there is a guy near by i'll see if he can do a compression test.i'm taking note of all the suggestions.

Well finally got her going.the wifey took her on a short.no problem going there about 2 miles but on way back the car when she slowed or stopped iy stalled.any suggeations?

Well finally got her going.the wifey took her on a short.no problem going there about 2 miles but on way back the car when she slowed or stopped iy stalled.any suggeations?

How did you get it going last time?

This is the first time she's run since the trouble began.fuel pump replaced.carb replaced new points.condensor.rotor arm.cap and plugs.in gact plugs replaced trice.

Sounds like fueling or an air leak??

Only 2 miles......maybe auto-choke needs adjustment or base idle speed/mixture screw needs adjusting perhaps?

is this the car you had a rat in? (if I recall right;ly) maybe you need to checkout the wiring

That's the one richard.i'll see what happens after kate uses it to mallow on tuesday.

Things are sure sent to try me.weny to move the mk5 today and she wouldn't.i turnd the key and she just turn and when i pushed i accrlerator she kinda popped and made that funny whining noise wjen a car won't start.regapped the points,cleaned the rotor and checked thr plugs and they were very oily and stank of petrol(fuel pumps been lrakong)sp cleaned them up.after a few attempys she fired but was very lumpy.

Now i've been out to cpllect the wife and the car won't go.shr fires but ya have to put ya foot flat to the floor and she very slowly builds up revs but very very lumpy almost as if a spark plug was missing.once the revs arr up i put her in gear and she dies.same process each time.i'm gonna call the aa out in the morning as we have homestart and they use someone that knows thier tinas but could the engine be knackered?when i touched the lrad for the rear plug it was as if someone was tapping it?

Hi I had a similar problem and it turned out to be condenser wash knackerd have you changed it regards pete.

ye stuck a new one on.well she took it on a little run and my impression is that it runs ok on auto choke but once off it stalls everytime she slows or stops.haynes manual is no use.was gonna stick the old fuel pump back on and see what happens.

ye stuck a new one on.well she took it on a little run and my impression is that it runs ok on auto choke but once off it stalls everytime she slows or stops.haynes manual is no use.was gonna stick the old fuel pump back on and see what happens.

idle jet blocked?

idle jet blocked?

is that easy to get too and clean?

Think i might have sorted it i'll know when she comes back from her run.had a quick check at the idle screw and it was missing so knicked the one of the old one and got her to tick over but we'll see what the results are soon.