Sign in to follow this  
littlenewt2067

Cortinas to Cortina 2017

I don't know who would make the decision or if someone is doing it off their own back, but is there another trip to be planned for 2017?

I just need to know so I can start saving etc etc!!

How many people are likely to consider doing it the next time?? For me personally, until my kids are older and I can bring my wife along, I will do a blast and cover most of the trip in one hit rather than doing it in a civilised manner with hotels!!

We'd definitely do it in 2017. Like you, we'd probably do most of it in one hit - we drive to Austria most years and do that in two days.

I don't know who would make the decision or if someone is doing it off their own back, but is there another trip to be planned for 2017?

I just need to know so I can start saving etc etc!!

How many people are likely to consider doing it the next time?? For me personally, until my kids are older and I can bring my wife along, I will do a blast and cover most of the trip in one hit rather than doing it in a civilised manner with hotels!!

Can we have one stop en-route jim ?

I dont want to spend loads of days doing it either but dont want just a mad motorway dash either.

im open to suggestions, I only went via Switzerland last time to catch up with the group on a free day at lake garda...which was just as beautiful!

If my Cortina is in a state where it can reach Cortina when the time comes then yes - I will definitely go.

Pete and I have had some thoughts for the 60th anniversary in 2022, but hadn't really spoken about 2017 :unsure:

Hi Graham, if they want to go at that speed they might as well go in their daily driver, when I go I want to see the country and have some good meals and drink. They might as well fly and hire a car for the weekend when they get there or save their money and look at the photos on the site when we get home. Ron.

Good for you Ron, it's cortinas to cortina not a European tour....this is as an extra trip on top of the family holiday so some of us don't have the luxury of being able to take our time regarding money or leave from work...

whats the time scale for the trip then? And maybe a ball park on how much it would cost please. :thumbup:

whats the time scale for the trip then? And maybe a ball park on how much it would cost please. :thumbup:

which one, tour of europe or splash and dash ?

The trip last time was set over 2 weeks so they took a steady run down. I met up with them at Dagenham heritage centre on the Friday and after a bit of the one show filming they set off for Dover. I had to go to work!

They then took til Wednesday I think to get to lake garda and then had a free day on the Thursday to take it in and chill.

I set out in the early hours of Wednesday morning and stopped in Switzerland around 8pm and grabbed a motel room. Thursday morning we got up nice and early and drove into garda around 4pm and camped over night with Pete cortina city. The next day being Friday we drove into Cortina and all met at the hotel cortina. I camped nearby with Brett and Sally V6ghia with the mountains as a backdrop.

We had Friday evening and Saturday to explore and go up mountains etc, then on Sunday afternoon I set out for home driving back through Austria Germany and France. I had a couple of hours kip in France around 4am. I got the 1pm ferry back to dover on the Monday.

I think I got home just after everyone else Cortina,

The driving was long and hard but I had such an amazing time I did indeed fly and hire a car last year with my wife and kids and spent two weeks exploring the area...it is beautiful...

I split the cost between me and my mate...

Ferry £94

Fuel bought abroad €296.5

Toll charges france, Switzerland, Italy Austria and france again, €106.2

Swiss road tax €40 or Swiss franks..can't remember but it was 40!

Austrian road tax €8

Camping €28 at garda

Camping €42 in cortina

Night motel in Switzerland €128 we would have camped but we're exhausted and couldn't find a site let alone put up a tent! Could have saved money here

I paid €75 to get earlier ferry as I didn't want to wait to get home for 5 hours....

I think that is it, this was split between me and my mate :thumbup:

I could be wrong but I think the main trip was around the 2-2500 mark but they didn't rough it and stopped off at various race circuits etc along th way.

google says its 12 hours drive from calais to Cortina so I reckon 2 days to do that stopping half way , if you stay off the toll roads in france you would save money but would take a lot longer , if you book with laterooms or booking.com you can find cheap hotels - I dont need mega security for my car overnight its europe not Iraq .. Ste could take his trailer tent and do it even cheaper

Thanks jim, thats very helpful. :thumbup:

Ferry £94

Fuel bought abroad €296.5

Toll charges france, Switzerland, Italy Austria and france again, €106.2

Swiss road tax €40 or Swiss franks..can't remember but it was 40!

Austrian road tax €8

Camping €28 at garda

Camping €42 in cortina

Night motel in Switzerland €128 we would have camped but we're exhausted and couldn't find a site let alone put up a tent! Could have saved money here

I paid €75 to get earlier ferry as I didn't want to wait to get home for 5 hours....

I think that is it, this was split between me and my mate :thumbup:

if you hadnt splashed out on the swiss hotel and early ferry you could have done that for about £500 for the two of you - pretty good :thumbup:

No worries, I was driving a car I had literally just put together, I maintained a steady 60-65 and didn't give it beans...Pete was travelling a bit quicker!

if you hadnt splashed out on the swiss hotel and early ferry you could have done that for about £500 for the two of you - pretty good :thumbup:

Yes, The hotel was a must, it was getting dark but didn't have the time to find a campsite and put the tent up...it hurt but we had to do it. The motel was on the motorway and so had no bar, no alcohol is allowed to be sold on any premises on the motorway including the services!!..mind you we were sound asleep by 9pm!

When we got to Calais, we couldn't wait for 5 hours and so the ferry cost was a no brainer! :thumbup: