Sign in to follow this  
littlenewt2067

Cortinas to Cortina 2017

google says its 12 hours drive from calais to Cortina so I reckon 2 days to do that stopping half way , if you stay off the toll roads in france you would save money but would take a lot longer , if you book with laterooms or booking.com you can find cheap hotels - I dont need mega security for my car overnight its europe not Iraq .. Ste could take his trailer tent and do it even cheaper

maybe dave, but towing it all that way will be painful. on and off ferrys n stuff, plus more fuel. I have a 4 man tent that may be better. we will see, you up for it?

I would be up for a trip to Cortina in 2017 as I have been every 5 years since 2002, I do not mind which way it is organised i.e 1 week or 2 weeks. If it is a quick trip there I would recommend stopping either in Mulhouse or somewhere near the Swiss border as stopping in Switzerland is more expensive than France or Italy. 500 miles a day is quite easy in a Cortina, I have done 1000 miles in one go in the past. If there is no organised trip ( which would be understandable as organising this must be a headache) then why not set a date to meet at Cortina and then everyone can get there at their own pace and stop where they like

we couldn't wait for 5 hours and so the ferry cost was a no brainer! :thumbup:

One benefit of the tunnel is you can usually move your booking forward two hours without a charge.

why not set a date to meet at Cortina and then everyone can get there at their own pace and stop where they like

This would get my vote, as we'd likely arrange our annual Austrian holiday to coincide, and do UK->Italy->Austria->UK. No-one has the headache of organising either.

oooww I would like to do this ,

but I would be one of those taking it easy and meandering around the country perhaps taking a week to 10 days to do it .I would like to have some buddies to go with, I could stay with the whole trip camping hotel whatever ? :juggle: and then meet up on a certain day at CORTINA :thumbup:

Edited by TIB3300

jayne I agree totally, I just wondered whether it was due 2017 and it looks as though it might be...

Let's start getting those cars built/finished

One benefit of the tunnel is you can usually move your booking forward two hours without a charge.

This would get my vote, as we'd likely arrange our annual Austrian holiday to coincide, and do UK->Italy->Austria->UK. No-one has the headache of organising either.

The tunnel is so much quicker :thumbup:

oooww I would like to do this ,

but I would be one of those taking it easy and meandering around the country perhaps taking a week to 10 days to do it .I would like to have some buddies to go with, I could stay with the whole trip camping hotel whatever ? :juggle: and then meet up on a certain day at CORTINA :thumbup:

If you can do the longer trip Tibbs I would recommend it...there is a possibility that I could do it in 2022 as that is the year I retire and the girls will be old enough to leave at home! My wife would want to come then and so I would be able to do hotels, they would be wasted on me and bullet :D

maybe dave, but towing it all that way will be painful. on and off ferrys n stuff, plus more fuel. I have a 4 man tent that may be better. we will see, you up for it?

hotels for me but otherwise yes

Let's start getting those cars built/finished

Oh, that's right. Be practical and remind me I should be out in the workshop :angry2:

:)

I would love to do 2017 and 2022 but doing 2022 doesn't come sooner for me I'll be 59 then and I might not have the same enthusiasm as I do now . Going at a steady pace on the minor roads taking in the scenery, stopping for lunch and taking in the atmosphere suits me .I did the 2012 tour and it was absolutely fantastic and very well organised by Graham and Pete ( G O & Mungo )

As for getting there I think nothing worst than hammering down the motorway to get to your hotel as I experienced that last year on the Classic Ford tour to Belgium. Doing a 100 plus miles a day is enough for me .

Doing a 100 plus miles a day is enough for me .

I can understand that. It seems the best compromise is to have two tours - long and short, meeting in Cortina on the same days.

If you can do the longer trip Tibbs I would recommend it...there is a possibility that I could do it in 2022 as that is the year I retire and the girls will be old enough to leave at home! My wife would want to come then and so I would be able to do hotels, they would be wasted on me and bullet :D

:shocking:

music-playing-smiley-emoticon.gifdance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon.gifparty-text-with-confetti-falling-smiley-emoticon.gifchugger-smiley-emoticon.gifpartying-smiley-emoticon-1.gifchugger-smiley-emoticon.gifchugger-smiley-emoticon.gifpartying-smiley-emoticon-1.gifpartying-smiley-emoticon-1.gifbeer-bong-smiley-emoticon.gifbig-party-smiley-emoticon.gifbig-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by TIB3300

I REALLY want to be going on this next year but if I do go it will be with my wife and 3.5 year old little boy. My question is, are there plenty of hotels / natural stop points on the way down? Realistically, how long would it take to enjoy a leisurely cruise there and back?

I REALLY want to be going on this next year but if I do go it will be with my wife and 3.5 year old little boy. My question is, are there plenty of hotels / natural stop points on the way down? Realistically, how long would it take to enjoy a leisurely cruise there and back?

We drive to Austria quite often which is a similar distance - it's about 18 hours hard driving (Wales->England->France->Belgium->Germany->Austria). We've done it in a day before - sharing driving, in a modern Volvo estate, but I wouldn't recommend it. Two days is our usual and quite do-able but that is really two days of breakfast-drive-lunch-drive-dinner. We're planning to take our Mk3 to Austria next year and I was planning three days out, then a day over the Alps to Cortina, then three days back home. Wales-Cortina is 990 miles, so that would be 330 miles per day.

I can't wait!

Incredibly this was released the same year my Mk3 was built!

Edited by Danish