Sign in to follow this  
littlenewt2067

Cortinas to Cortina 2017

I'd like to know how much it costs, sorry if this has already been covered but tolls, ferry? train? I know there are a few variables like fuel will vary depending on the car. I doubt I be able to go for a few years without seriously saving but it's something I would like to do, one day, mainly with a group as I think it'd make a nice memory and would be a good introduction to driving over there to someone like me who's had little experience driving in the rest of europe. I've driven in Greece but that was in a left hand drive car.

thumbsup.gifIle be up for this james Hopefully Ile have the car finished by then thumbsup.gif

I'd like to know how much it costs, sorry if this has already been covered but tolls, ferry? train? I know there are a few variables like fuel will vary depending on the car. I doubt I be able to go for a few years without seriously saving but it's something I would like to do, one day, mainly with a group as I think it'd make a nice memory and would be a good introduction to driving over there to someone like me who's had little experience driving in the rest of europe. I've driven in Greece but that was in a left hand drive car.

I would estimate around £2,500 for two sharing a car and rooms, this is 14 days accommodation at approximately £100 per night, fuel for 2000 mile round trip at approximately 25mpg then beer and food money. You can reduce this by camping a few nights as we did on the last trip. It is more expensive than a package holiday but very much more enjoyable, before I went on the first trip I thought it sounded expensive but have done several trips since, they are great value for money if you like Cortina's as driving is what they are made for and the company and scenery on these trips are amazing. I will be up for the 2017 trip :thumbup:

I REALLY want to be going on this next year but if I do go it will be with my wife and 3.5 year old little boy. My question is, are there plenty of hotels / natural stop points on the way down? Realistically, how long would it take to enjoy a leisurely cruise there and back?

It is usually a two week trip and this is very leisurely, you can stop at any time and do not need to travel in a group so can do whatever suits you, people have taken young children in the past and it has been no problem. It is easier now as you can fit a screen to the rear of the seat for your child to watch videos and everyone has mobile phones so will not be far away if you need any help.

Thanks for all the advice :) hopefully I'll be able to sell the idea to my wife!

I would estimate around £2,500 for two sharing a car and rooms, this is 14 days accommodation at approximately £100 per night, fuel for 2000 mile round trip at approximately 25mpg then beer and food money. You can reduce this by camping a few nights as we did on the last trip. It is more expensive than a package holiday but very much more enjoyable, before I went on the first trip I thought it sounded expensive but have done several trips since, they are great value for money if you like Cortina's as driving is what they are made for and the company and scenery on these trips are amazing. I will be up for the 2017 trip :thumbup:

Well my car does 30mpg and I wouldn't be spending £100 a night on accomodation so I reckon I could do it for a lot less than 2,500

On my last trip to France I stayed in 3 hotels ranging from around £25 - £40 per night

Well my car does 30mpg and I wouldn't be spending £100 a night on accomodation so I reckon I could do it for a lot less than 2,500

On my last trip to France I stayed in 3 hotels ranging from around £25 - £40 per night

Hi Dave, I think £100 a day is about right with meals we never have breakfast on our trips at the hotels when you have had a good meal in the evening and a few drinks, we set off and drive for about 2 to 3 hours or so and then stop for a comfort break ie loo and a coffee and croissant in a café or tabac and then off again its worked well for the past 20 years or so but we don't use motorways and drive through the villages and only drive about 160 miles in a day so you see France and not just drive through it. Ron.

Edited by RONV

Hi Dave, I think £100 a day is about right with meals we never have breakfast on our trips at the hotels when you have had a good meal in the evening and a few drinks, we set off and drive for about 2 to 3 hours or so and then stop for a comfort break ie loo and a coffee and croissant in a café or tabac and then off again its worked well for the past 20 years or so but we don't use motorways and drive through the villages and only drive about 160 miles in a day so you see France and not just drive through it. Ron.

Maybe its just my pedantic mind and you are probably right for 2 people with all meals wine etc but the quote I replied to was " £100 a night on accomodation " I took that as meaning for just the hotel or maybe b&b . I didnt want people to be put off by thinking it costs £100 for a hotel room for the night across europe when I know it can be done for a lot less.

Theres other tight gets like me out there who like to do things on the cheap :angel_not:

Maybe its just my pedantic mind and you are probably right for 2 people with all meals wine etc but the quote I replied to was " £100 a night on accomodation " I took that as meaning for just the hotel or maybe b&b . I didnt want people to be put off by thinking it costs £100 for a hotel room for the night across europe when I know it can be done for a lot less.

Theres other tight gets like me out there who like to do things on the cheap :angel_not:

Hi Dave, your right our next trip starting on 1st of May our 7 hotels range from £45 to £55 a night and they are not flee pits we book them with Booking.com and all have safe and secure parking its easy to choose them with parking and near to center of town so you have up to £50 pounds for meals we don't get in to late around 1400 so we can look around and pick a place to eat if not at the hotel. Ron.

Hi Dave, your right our next trip starting on 1st of May our 7 hotels range from £45 to £55 a night and they are not flee pits we book them with Booking.com and all have safe and secure parking its easy to choose them with parking and near to center of town so you have up to £50 pounds for meals we don't get in to late around 1400 so we can look around and pick a place to eat if not at the hotel. Ron.

:thumbup:

We'd definitely do it in 2017. Like you, we'd probably do most of it in one hit - we drive to Austria most years and do that in two days.

We did it from Vienna to Norfolk in one go some years back, it was a bit slow after being done for speeding near Spa £190 on the spot fine. The wife was only doing 100mph in a 60 :thumbdown:

We did it from Vienna to Norfolk in one go some years back, it was a bit slow after being done for speeding near Spa £190 on the spot fine. The wife was only doing 100mph in a 60 :thumbdown:

We keep in the speed limits, but our usual route to Austria is through southern Germany and then over the Alps - so we get plenty of autobahn.

We keep in the speed limits, but our usual route to Austria is through southern Germany and then over the Alps - so we get plenty of autobahn.

Driving on autobahns , motorways and french toll roads feels like work to me not a holiday

Ah French toll roads. In my twenties we used to do motorbike holidays in France, I had an 1100cc bike and the automatic fines for speeding between toll booths were just considered a holiday expense.

Happy days, but the I grew older and realised I wasn't immortal or invulnerable. :thumbdown: