team_radius

Rings on their way out – Can additives help ?

Sound to me like it's rings and bores you've done what you can, stick a couple of tins of wins or stp in carry a spare gallon of oil with you.

Do the shows this year, and pull her off the road during the winter and have the block done, or put in a new short engine.

If you have any worries about the head gasket, I can bring my head gasket testing kit to the nats and give it a test.

So as you can see there's no real obvious tell tail signs, just a oil smell, which does get worse if I floor it.

The problem with the MK3 4 5 Engine bay is ! :thumbdown:

That the breather on top of the engine is in the same area as the heater inlet as MIss Jayney brought this to light recently. choking-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

I could also smell mine when you floored it, so I fitted a filler/ breather cap with a outlet .

All modern cars now have a breather from the top of the engine going into the inlet manifold or air filter. So any fumes from the engine get ingested into the engine and blown out of the exhaust.

The other thing you could do is make an inlet for the heater to come from the vent at the rear of the bonnet /scuttle panel ,then you would get nice fresh are rather then the air from under the bonnet.

I have fitted something simular to this one and I have a pipe going into the bottom of the air filter

s-l225.jpg

If you can see in the centre part a at 12 o'clock a blanked off plug, this is where I routed the pipe too . Also put a rubber grommet in the hole at 1 o'clock

$_1.JPG

Edited by TIB3300
  • Upvote 1

Top modification Tony - something I will try to to do as well - not so easy with side-draughts and trumpets :unsure: , but I'll have a go. :thumbup:

Sound to me like it's rings and bores you've done what you can, stick a couple of tins of wins or stp in carry a spare gallon of oil with you. Do the shows this year, and pull her off the road during the winter and have the block done, or put in a new short engine.If you have any worries about the head gasket, I can bring my head gasket testing kit to the nats and give it a test.

Thanks for the offer Gareth, I'm happy with the head gasket though, only did it a couple of years ago, thanks anyway.

Must admit I was thinking of whipping the engine out last year to tackle the rings, but used what spare time I had to do the Auto to Type 9 conversion instead.

Yeh, have to carry spare oil, on the round trip to Monmouth, 260 miles the dip stick level went down 3-4mm. Fuel consumption is approx 28.5 mpg overall though and that includes short stop start trips to work as well long trips, so things ain't that bad....

The problem with the MK3 4 5 Engine bay is ! :thumbdown:That the breather on top of the engine is in the same area as the heater inlet as MIss Jayney brought this to light recently. choking-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif I could also smell mine when you floored it, so I fitted a filler/ breather cap with a outlet . All modern cars now have a breather from the top of the engine going into the inlet manifold or air filter. So any fumes from the engine get ingested into the engine and blown out of the exhaust. The other thing you could do is make an inlet for the heater to come from the vent at the rear of the bonnet /scuttle panel ,then you would get nice fresh are rather then the air from under the bonnet.I have fitted something simular to this one and I have a pipe going into the bottom of the air filter s-l225.jpgIf you can see in the centre part a at 12 o'clock a blanked off plug, this is where I routed the pipe too . Also put a rubber grommet in the hole at 1 o'clock $_1.JPG

That sounds like a good idea, any idea where I can get one of those caps ?

Just for info, in my case, the fumes smell is worse with the window open and a lot better with it shut - dunno if that fits the theory ??

Cheers for the reply Tony.

Thanks for that, but couldn't get the link to work, could you check it ?

Oil filler cap, single outlet breather, Pinto X-flow OHC OHV race rally EP-132

eBay item number:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152113292767?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by TIB3300

Mine :thumbup:

So the hose from the filler cap goes to a new hole that you mentioned (12 o'clock position) in the air box? That hose looks contoured, where's it from?

Thanks.

So the hose from the filler cap goes to a new hole that you mentioned (12 o'clock position) in the air box? That hose looks contoured, where's it from?

Thanks.

Yes the pipe goes there :thumbup: I found a 90% elbow with sealing rings for the end going into the air filter

I think its off a transit, as I have a 205 block in the car now and I am sure this cap and pipe was on the engine :thumbup:

drip-hose-fittings-Plastic-90-degree-elbow.jpg_200x200.jpg

Edited by TIB3300

Yes the pipe goes there :thumbup: I found a 90% elbow with sealing rings for the end going into the air filter

I think its off a transit, as I have a 205 block in the car now and I am sure this cap and pipe was on the engine :thumbup:

drip-hose-fittings-Plastic-90-degree-elbow.jpg_200x200.jpg

Ok thanks. :thumbup: