cortina-city

My Latest project 1971 4 Door GXL

No illumination in the heater panel controls is a pain, I am waiting with interest on this mod!!!! :thumbup:

all in the bag Jim.

post pics soon.

what you have is all the symbols, hot, cold up down fan etc perfectly lit. total orginal. you will not know until you switch sidelamps on. each symbol lights up.

bezel, face, all of it, all looks stock.

already runnign but waiitng for the pro bezel to be printed.

im runnign it on a printed hand cut version at mo, which is just to test the theory.

as for the staus lamp. it goes BLUE with incoming PHONE call SIGNAL COMES FROM PARROT HANDSFREE, orange when fuel low (settable fuel level system), red for oil pressure.

cant find a use for green!!

cant find a use for green!!

I'll make it an easy one to sort (bulb light out warning) sure it's just a resistor on the lighting circuit ? 😌👌👍🏼

sounds good ken

brake or indicator out, though the flasher normally tells you on indicators with its fast flash...hmmmmm

and with the LED brake lamps bulbs usually good to go for 50 000 hours

it could have been a trailer hook up lamp but im not fitting a towbar, so thats out!

OVER TEMP aint been covered but im on wrong colour, was going to duel the orange and green for overtemp?

one thing i noticed recent:

been driving swampy last 15,000 miles, jumped back into tina green the green GXL, and no fuel warning in there, constantly checking the fuel gauge!

i got so used to swampy flashing me when fuel low!

The only other things you haven't covered then is

Coolant level

Washer fluid level ???

Have you thought about retro fitting remote locking??

Coolant level

Washer fluid level ???

ken i did give that a thought but dont want sensors seen in the bay

how about.............frost warning? ice

or lights left on with ignition is a good one. though i suppose that should be an audible really.

remote locking....yes i gasve it a thought but not too worried i like clicking th elock with my key

prob go for frost warning. i was looking at sensors that say you are in trouble, so really the most dangerous or important ones.

OIL, coolant over temp, and now ICE ALERT (THOUGH OFF SEASON FOR CLASSIC CAR! )

the blue one for incoming call is good as sometimes with windows fully down and going at speed you dont hear handsfree ringing so the blue flash will alert me.

i may incorporate it to show staus of tracker, but only if ignition off

i want the warnign lamp OFF almost 99% OF TIME if it lights theres something needs attention.

very easy to go over temp on a GXL without you knowing as the gauges are out of normal line of sight.

so fuel, temp oil and amps arent seen enough really.

I suppose really i should have made green a different colour as its not a colour us humans associate with warnings, however i could combine the colour with all 3 other colours to make the others have one more function

that said i want to keep it simple, simple is best.

so i mindful of how ill do it.

im working today on the dash illumination, its having a red tint to the lighting, white plus red leds. ill be building them inside the clocks so that i can get best position of leds.

also you cant buy a mixed colour lamp so i have to make my own

with any system you always have to be thinking of ease, and simplicity as well as function and reliability.

this is why i have made all the sub-looms

you can revert the car back to stock by isolating a few fuses behind the speedo facia

apart from track and immobilise which are hard wired in

Coolant level

Washer fluid level ???

Audible & visual warning for low oil pressure.

Audible & visual warning for low oil pressure.

Pete, yes good idea to audible that one. I could hook a chime up to the overall status lamp with a set of diodes across the leds, so they all common onto the chime.

ill go lookign for some chime units, might go round a breakers yard and try and find a self contained chime unit. i could make one if not

Always a step ahead Pete, foward planning eliminates . poor performance. Cracking job bud. 👌🏻👍🏼

Pete, yes good idea to audible that one. I could hook a chime up to the overall status lamp with a set of diodes across the leds, so they all common onto the chime.

ill go lookign for some chime units, might go round a breakers yard and try and find a self contained chime unit. i could make one if not

I would think an annoying buzzer would be better as it would be more different and attention grabbing and with oil pressure a quicker reaction time is better to save an engine can be wired in to the oil dash light.

The BMW M3 had a nice chime which operated when you exceeded a certain speed. Possibly this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121912623831

The BMW M3 had a nice chime which operated when you exceeded a certain speed. Possibly this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574629005&toolid=10001&campid=5335900709&customid=&mpre=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121912623831

[/quot

Yep come standard on many BMW my x5 has the same thing they are multi toned for different things ie parking sensors front and rear + different warnings more of a BONGING TONE of them.

What about a shift light? Set it for economy or 6k redline?

What about a shift light? Set it for economy or 6k redline?

:thumbup:

would require a gearbox interface though Rich

perhaps a lamp in dash maybe

this warnign lamp is for immediate action siuations.

though 3 of the 4 functions are now sorted.

whilst on........ive seen auto wiper modules, rain sensors on screens of cars in scrapyards. and.....they are modular, so easy to hook up. how handy would fully automated wipers be........ wow

and of course the auo dip mirror.

IF i can build all these items without it affecting too much the overlall look and feel of car ill do it.

the miles i travel on pleasure trips it means a lot to me.

wipers in light rain and dazzling in rear view mirror are particularily distracting.

pete

Nice work Pete :thumbup: Hope your good, see you soon

I like the ashtray light , may have to nick that one, for mine B)

:thumbup:

would require a gearbox interface though Rich

Naah just take one of the dozens of programable shift lights you can get on ebay (for about £10) apart and use it to run the green lamp. It just requires a live, earth and feed from coil. Set rpm via a dial on the back.