brian grech

Cortina mk 3 full restoration

Here is my journey which will hopefully lead me to the my pride and joy being restored from a humble xl 1300cc to type9 powered by a 2 litre pinto. You can see pics of the quarter panels replaced using lead to join the roof.My link

20150713_135946_zpsgyib4aso.jpg

20150714_183542_zpsaprl9uxt.jpg

20150714_163340_zpscuem0emz.jpg

Nice work!

Thanks!I' m doing my best its my first restoration!will upload pics of the right hand side quarter panel when its done.

great pics, quarter looks good, how was the leading process? tricky or ?

lots goin on on the car, what stage are you at

thanks for the pictures

Pete

• Like 1

If you fancy a go Pete, I have a Frost lead loading kit looking for a good home...

• Like 1

Hi no its not difficult at all.No one ever personally showed me how just watched alot of youtube vids.you clean thoroughly, brush acid-frost kit-and then lead load and lots of filing-wear a mask and only hand filing. I use a heat gun not blowctorch to melt the lead as i found it more controlable.i will try to film the right side quarter panel when i arrives over from UK. Having seen what you have done with swampy it will be a piece of cake for you.thanks again

lots goin on on the car, what stage are you at

thanks for the pictures

Pete

• Upvote 1

If you fancy a go Pete, I have a Frost lead loading kit looking for a good home...

thanks jayne may take you up, this would be for a future project

Hi no its not difficult at all.No one ever personally showed me how just watched alot of youtube vids.you clean thoroughly, brush acid-frost kit-and then lead load and lots of filing-wear a mask and only hand filing. I use a heat gun not blowctorch to melt the lead as i found it more controlable.i will try to film the right side quarter panel when i arrives over from UK. Having seen what you have done with swampy it will be a piece of cake for you.thanks again

thanks i look forward to video

when filming move camera VERY slowly, it mkaes for better youtube viewing

great thanks Brian!

thanks i look forward to video

when filming move camera VERY slowly, it mkaes for better youtube viewing

great thanks Brian!

Video will have to wait as i bought the right hand side quarter panel from New Ford Part Centre who first offered free UK delivery and now no. Will have it hopefully delivered some time next week to my shipping Hub in Essex and another week to arrive to Malta. Thats a two weeks delay in my schedule, i' m a teacher and currently have a fair amount of time to spare. The target was(maybe still is) to have the rear practically ready(still need to do the rear valance) before the start of the scholastic year. Sill replacing is next in line... :playball:

Finished replacing the inner wheel arch and other staff so that the new quarter panel will soon be fitted. I found it extremely useful to temporarily weld a round bar around the inner wheel arch screw a piece of arch patterned sheet metal and the bend it in situ.

My link

Then it is removed the rotten part cut out and the new fabricated wheel arch butt welded instead

IMG-20150728-WA0000_zpsfubw4xqs.jpeg

20150922_180000_zpsehbg2lmh.jpg

20150923_174553_zpsk35o54ys.jpg

The final result after Lead loading filing, epoxy primer, a thin layerof body filler and another layer of epoxy primer

20150930_191401%201_zpsbs6fmzkn.jpg

Edited by brian grech

I like the repair on the arch, that looks a very good job, great tip to use the bar, thanks. :cheers: I am also impressed by the lead loading, I have found this to be very good as repairs I have done in the past and lead loaded the joints have not come through again, this seems the best way forward to me. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

I like the repair on the arch, that looks a very good job, great tip to use the bar, thanks. :cheers: I am also impressed by the lead loading, I have found this to be very good as repairs I have done in the past and lead loaded the joints have not come through again, this seems the best way forward to me. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thanks to all for for the positive feedback,it makes you feel like you are not alone in the restoration.It also helps to work better because you try to achieve the best results possible since you will be posting pics.

As regards the round bar "trick" it is a modified tip i got from a book about resto by Martin Thaddeus.I think it is a must have before starting any resto.i read it twice before starting my resto.

As regards lead i found it quite easy to handle.the problem with lead is twofold-healtwise it is rather dangerous wearva proper mask- the other problem is the acid when thinning before lead loading needs to be thoroughly cleaned with baking soda otherwise the metal will rust.there is an excellent video on youtube by eastwood where an old guy explains the process-i found his to be the best.

Anyways thanks again to this marvellous comunity on BSC!!