Mackylad

starter motor for Mk5 2.3 V6 auto

Hi. Not been on here for a few years as Cortina has been sorned due to lack of time. Looking to get her back on the road this summer. Just found that starter has gone up the spout. Does anybody have a good working unit please? I know it's a bit of a rare one as it's for a 1981 X reg 2.3 V6 auto. Am I right in thinking these starters are unique to the auto, due to pinion length? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi. Not been on here for a few years as Cortina has been sorned due to lack of time. Looking to get her back on the road this summer. Just found that starter has gone up the spout. Does anybody have a good working unit please? I know it's a bit of a rare one as it's for a 1981 X reg 2.3 V6 auto. Am I right in thinking these starters are unique to the auto, due to pinion length? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Have you not got an Old School Auto Electrician nearby? It would be as easy to get yours repaired as it would trying to find a second hand one. I got mine repaired with a warranty for about £45.

Cheers

Steve

it depends on whats wrong with as to the cost of repair, if the solenoids gone then it takes 5 mins to replace, if the pinion is knackered then you might as well have it refurbished as it's a total strip down to fit one

it depends on whats wrong with as to the cost of repair, if the solenoids gone then it takes 5 mins to replace, if the pinion is knackered then you might as well have it refurbished as it's a total strip down to fit one

Cheers for your replies. The starter has been playing up for some time. Occasionally don't crank and would go with a tap from a hammer shaft so might just be solenoid. Gave up totally the other day. Will remove it and strip it first to see what's going on then take it from there.

that sounds like the solenoid to me, the contacts in the cap burn away and stick over time and even more so if the battery is low and trying to start the car,also take the back off the motor and make sure the brushes arn't worn away and the comm isn't burnt as this damage will cause the starter to be slugish :thumbup:

the 2.3/2.8 use the same starter for man & auto.