Sign in to follow this  
Pete-H

Fuel Tank Sender

I believe Colin Ginn sells new repro mk1 Cortina fuel tank senders (possibly made by adapting a new one from another newer car, seem to remember something about modifying either an MGB or Allegro one?)

WHATS THIS ONE THEN ?

893654932_o.jpg

looks more like an 85/90 transit one to me as it drops to much from the mounting for a car very deep tank.

mk2-3 capri?

WHATS THIS ONE THEN ?

893654932_o.jpg

Looks similar to the one I took off my Mk5 (the pipe on mine was bent upwards slightly by whatever caused the massive dent on the bottom of my fuel tank) although the outlet pipe seems to be pointing in a different direction in relation to the circular plate :headscratch: (pipe had come loose so might have twisted when I took it off):-

ea0a6db5e50a43a4f9e04ec0ff28144c.jpg

957ea0bc299050178c527ffd49687d60.jpg

Edited by Mk5Mike

Thank you all.

I have tried contacting Colin and no disrespect meant by this but it's like "trying to contact GOD" (I will probably get a response now I have said that)

This is what I'm having problems with I have tried a separate wire from the gauge to the sender and i have earthed out the wire and the gauge goes over properly so I know it's not the gauge but connected to the sender nothing and there is 25ltrs of fuel in the tank and capacity is 45ltrs so that's not right.

post-14734-085385000 1461667452_thumb.jpg

I'm not in any great rush to sort this as getting the brakes working properly is more important, I'm just trying to get parts in ready so I can get it done when I'm ready to and not wasting time.

Thank you all.

I have tried contacting Colin and no disrespect meant by this but it's like "trying to contact GOD" (I will probably get a response now I have said that)

This is what I'm having problems with I have tried a separate wire from the gauge to the sender and i have earthed out the wire and the gauge goes over properly so I know it's not the gauge but connected to the sender nothing and there is 25ltrs of fuel in the tank and capacity is 45ltrs so that's not right.

I'm not in any great rush to sort this as getting the brakes working properly is more important, I'm just trying to get parts in ready so I can get it done when I'm ready to and not wasting time.

In reality all you have to do is to remember to keep the tank full , or carry a stick in the boot :thumbup:

I see the positive cable lead to the sender unit but can't see an earth - I'm sure this is a daft question but is it missing or just hidden in the photo?

earths through tank where its held to boot floor via mounting screws.

earths through tank where its held to boot floor via mounting screws.

Ah right - so it was a daft question!

Only asked as the mk3/4/5 units have their own earth and wondered if that was because of the rubber seal preventing earth through the tank (but I guess the tank hanging arrangement doesn't give a decent earth to the shell).

Edited by Mk5Mike

Ah right - so it was a daft question!

Only asked as the mk3/4/5 units have their own earth and wondered if that was because of the rubber seal preventing earth through the tank (but I guess the tank hanging arrangement doesn't give a decent earth to the shell).

That's right the earth wire is there cos of the rubber seal insulates the sender from ground :thumbup:

and the tank straps on the Mk3/4/5 have rubber between them and the tank further insulating it from common ground.