CorKtina

Automatic problem

can't take it through the gears, it's not selecting them...that's the initial problem

I know nothing about autos.....my Capri was driving normally when the auto box stopped working and I coasted to halt. Gear selector doing nothing, feels very light....will start in any position, but no drive at all. Level in autobox looks OK and there were no noises or clues before hand....just stopped working.

any ideas what Is should look at?

The oil level can't be the problem. Low oil still wouldn't let the inhibitor switch allow the starter to turn in any gear. It can only be something internal or some part of the external selector is broken. My guess is it's internal, due to the car stopping.

The oil level can't be the problem. Low oil still wouldn't let the inhibitor switch allow the starter to turn in any gear. It can only be something internal or some part of the external selector is broken. My guess is it's internal, due to the car stopping.

After another reading of your post i would agree with this,dont think you have a level problem

I have had lots of autos over the years and it has never been as simple as a level problem :playball: kev

CorKtina, on 05 May 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

I know nothing about autos.....my Capri was driving normally when the auto box stopped working and I coasted to halt. Gear selector doing nothing, feels very light....will start in any position, but no drive at all. Level in autobox looks OK and there were no noises or clues before hand....just stopped working.

any ideas what Is should look at?

Yes sounds like linkage has come away then for some reason , we should all read more carefully whats been written

1/4 litre of ATF made no difference

Thing is about the linkage, the brake function still works, which makes me think it isn't the linkage

WELL THE GOOD NEWS IS AUTO BOXES ARE CHEAP TO BUY USED , if it turns out its serious .

the internal linkage is just a rod that runs across the box with a quadrant on it, park is just a ratchet type arrangement.

if this has broken off internally it may be stuck in the start position .

but if its working properly this would allow fluid to flow around the valve body & get gears (even if movement doesn't occur)& level would drop which is why I said try selecting gears & then checking oil level.

as a drop in level would show the pump is working & level to low would explain loss of drive.

remove one of the cooler pipes at rad & select a gear to see if fluid comes out eng running (should be a constant stream).

if not suspect a blockage or pump failure.

which as you lost drive while on the move which sounds more likely.

you can check starter circuit by pulling plug of inhib swt this should break the circuit & starter shouldn't work

if it do's suspect a short or jammed relay.

the swt unscrews from the box easily & is std on the ford C3 & 4ALD autos.

the fluid should be a pink/red colour, dark fluid meens burnt clutches, smell the fluid too if it smells burnt again clutches worn out/

thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated....I'm going to have a go jacking it up and checking the linkage....easier said than done as my hands are really fooked nowadays, not to mention the rest of me. I'm going to have to give up old cars I think... :-(

thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated....I'm going to have a go jacking it up and checking the linkage....easier said than done as my hands are really fooked nowadays, not to mention the rest of me. I'm going to have to give up old cars I think... :-(

If you get a modern one theres no way you can fix them yourself and they are more expensive for garages to fix.

we have a modern one and I think Duck will go on forever (or until it gets rusty again)

I'm in (near )agony today with my hands. Only went to doc yesterdayto tell him go ahead with the 3rd trigger finger op and now the pain I've had in my rightshoulder that I thought was a pulled muscle has travelled down to that hand and my carpal tunnel scar has flared up (not even seen it for years) and my thumbs gone numb.Tried to change a tap washer the other day and had endless trouble holding the spanner and gripping the tap....i'm dreading lying under the Capri.....

Edited by CorKtina

finally managed to get it jacked up and have a look....linkage is working....I assume I need a "new" box. Where would I get one ? Which box will I need?

finally managed to get it jacked up and have a look....linkage is working....I assume I need a "new" box. Where would I get one ? Which box will I need?

I would think it would be a Ford C3 - ANYTHING AUTOMATIC THAT Ford built in 1970s WITH SAME ENGINE AS THE Capri + more

thx for that, I think I;ve sourced one from Capri Spares in Co Wexford...and delivered too....no price yet.....guess I'll have to pay what he asks, but it will be guaranteed and he's a good bloke . Have to find someone to fit it then.

I'll be selling it once it's working again as my problems are getting worse, something wrong with my neck the doc reckons...waiting for xray results and an MRI